Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Calibrating an iMac27"  (Read 10438 times)
runee
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 24


« on: October 28, 2009, 08:52:34 AM »
ReplyReply

So, the new iMac27"... is it possible to calibrate it properly ? (with Spyder3)

I've read that the 24" was hard to calibrate (but that it could be done) - will this be the same story for the 27" ? I'm finding it hard to dig up info on whether it's the same type panel or what ? Same glossy screen though.

Anyone have any info on this ?
Logged
Guigui
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 89



WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: runee
So, the new iMac27"... is it possible to calibrate it properly ? (with Spyder3)

I've read that the 24" was hard to calibrate (but that it could be done) - will this be the same story for the 27" ? I'm finding it hard to dig up info on whether it's the same type panel or what ? Same glossy screen though.

Anyone have any info on this ?
Same question for the 21.5'' version of the new iMac. Could anyone share their thoughts about its usability for printing & proofing ? Thanks !
Logged
Jamooche
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 13


WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Yes, it calibrates well and the luminance issues are gone:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=38983

Logged

usathyan
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 184



WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
ReplyReply

I had no problems calibrating with ColorMunki (On the iMac 27"), although I had to use Shades freeware to reduce the luminosity to about 110 - The slider controls within the colormunki software jumps in steps of 30 or 50 or some random uncontrollable numbers.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:24:55 AM by usathyan » Logged

--------------
Umesh Bhatt
http://www.8thcross.com/blog/
digitaldog
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8628



WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: usathyan
I had no problems calibrating with ColorMunki (On the iMac 27"), although I had to use Shades freeware to reduce the luminosity to about 110 - The slider controls within the colormunki software jumps in steps of 30 or 50 or some random uncontrollable numbers.

So apparently the issue of luminance still remains. You don’t want to use Shades as it kicks in after the profile.
Logged

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
usathyan
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 184



WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Andrew,

Any tips on resolving this luminance issue?
Logged

--------------
Umesh Bhatt
http://www.8thcross.com/blog/
usathyan
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 184



WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: digitaldog
So apparently the issue of luminance still remains. You don’t want to use Shades as it kicks in after the profile.

ok. I guess I mis spoke. I am able to reduce the luminance with the built in controls (both the brightness slides in preferences, as well as via the brightness keyboard shortcuts when running the ColorMunki tool) to well below 90 if required.

However, it is not accurate and is not a smooth control. The numbers jump from 150 down to 83 in one click, or sometimes to 92...(unpredictable)

So, is the use of Shades not a good idea to reduce luminance only? Does it impact the profile? Are there any alternatives?
Logged

--------------
Umesh Bhatt
http://www.8thcross.com/blog/
digitaldog
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8628



WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: usathyan
ok. I guess I mis spoke. I am able to reduce the luminance with the built in controls (both the brightness slides in preferences, as well as via the brightness keyboard shortcuts when running the ColorMunki tool) to well below 90 if required.

However, it is not accurate and is not a smooth control. The numbers jump from 150 down to 83 in one click, or sometimes to 92...(unpredictable)

So, is the use of Shades not a good idea to reduce luminance only? Does it impact the profile? Are there any alternatives?

I’d first try to adjust the luminance above 110 which is hard for LCD’s to hit. Is there a reason you’re running so low? What’s the viewing conditions for the print? Can that luminance be raised along with the display luminance so you’re doing about 140-150cd/m2?

I’d probably do anything possible to remove Shades from the process. IF you can natively (via the control over the backlight) get the luminance down to 120 or so, I’d say the newer Apple displays are doing much better in terms of control over luminance.
Logged

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
usathyan
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 184



WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try out the applescript method from this post by Wayne Fox (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38983).

Update: After trying Wayne's scripts - here are my findings:

Lowest brightness value with my iMac 27" is 13, and highest setting gives you 357
120 is achieved with a brightness slider set at 0.48

No shades necessary! Thanks for all your help! Esp, to Wayne!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:19:13 PM by usathyan » Logged

--------------
Umesh Bhatt
http://www.8thcross.com/blog/
Jamooche
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 13


WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »
ReplyReply

That's great to know.  Thanks for posting.  

I can't wait to get my iMac!
Logged

David Eichler
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 311


WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:13:24 PM »
ReplyReply

The monitor luminance issue with the modern Imacs is a pain for printing, although nice for viewing as long as it is not all the way up. On my recent 24" Imac the lowest it goes is about 185. Still have a G5 Imac which works fine for luminance for printing. How about an ND filter over the monitor, just for printing?

I use an Eye1 Display2 and it works fine.
Logged

rogan
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 124


« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:42:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: ZAZ
The monitor luminance issue with the modern Imacs is a pain for printing, although nice for viewing as long as it is not all the way up. On my recent 24" Imac the lowest it goes is about 185. Still have a G5 Imac which works fine for luminance for printing. How about an ND filter over the monitor, just for printing?

I use an Eye1 Display2 and it works fine.

I have the 24" and a 27". They have nothing in common. The new 27" has no problem profiling below 100 if needed and everything in the 105-110 is easy to hit. I use coloreyes and it looks amazing. The i7 version screams. Will order 1 or 2 more
Logged
runee
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 24


« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 06:57:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Good news indeed... I just recieved confirmation that my new iMac27" with a cinema24" display for PS tools and such are arriving at saturday... can't wait
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad