Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: What size Diopter for Hy6?  (Read 1456 times)
Mitchell Baum

« on: November 03, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »
ReplyReply

I've successfully used a +1.5 diopter lens on a Leica M, and the +1.0 diopter setting on a Nikon D700.  

Should a +1.0 work on the Hy6?

With either the waist level or prism finder?

Are all cameras the same except possibly the M?

Hy6 diopters are expensive. I'm not sure I can find one. At least one dealer has told me I can't return them if I order the wrong one.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best,

Mitchell

RAV

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
ReplyReply

I have gone to my local optometrist for this. Most have individual glass disks in various diopters to hold up to eyeglasses. Hold one of these above the flip-out magnifier and see how it works for the waist level finder. You can probably do the same for the prism. The optometrist should be able to cut a custom disk for you for less than the cost of the OEM part. I'd go with high refractive index plastic and not glass.
rolleiflexpages

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Dear Mitchell,

I would suggest you contact F&H directly on this one in order to get advice and avoid unnecessary expenses.
Pascal

Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com
Rolleiflex 6008 AF + DB20p, Rolleiflex Hy6, Leaf AFi-II 7
Mitchell Baum

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Rav and Pascal.

I will look into both of your suggestions.

Pascal, enjoyed looking at your Hy6/AFI/Rollie site. Very helpful.

I also just got a call from Steve Hendricks who is back working directly with photographers which I am and I'm sure many others are glad to hear.

Best,

Mitchell
EricWHiss

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:34:10 PM »
ReplyReply

Just to add a little bit of info....

The diopter in the 45 degree prism (at least for the 6000 series cameras but I think its the same except a different base for the Hy6) comes standard labeled as a +1 however its actual optical strength is something more like 8 diopters.   I had read this on the photo.net forum and confirmed it by taking my prism to an optician.     To summarize - if you need +1.5 diopters correction on the other cameras, then you might need a +2.5 diopter (or a +9.5 optical strength from optician)  on the Hy6 Prism.    I don't know if the WLF magnifier is the same between the Hy6 and 6008 so can only speak for 6000 series which came with -0.5 diopter magnifying inserts in the WLF. Anyone know if the WLF inserts are the same between Hy6 and 6000 series?  If so I may have a few different values.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:35:05 PM by EricWHiss » Logged

Authorized Rolleiflex Dealer:
Find product information, download user manuals, or purchase online - Rolleiflex USA
rolleiflexpages

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EricWHiss
Just to add a little bit of info....

The diopter in the 45 degree prism (at least for the 6000 series cameras but I think its the same except a different base for the Hy6) comes standard labeled as a +1 however its actual optical strength is something more like 8 diopters.   I had read this on the photo.net forum and confirmed it by taking my prism to an optician.     To summarize - if you need +1.5 diopters correction on the other cameras, then you might need a +2.5 diopter (or a +9.5 optical strength from optician)  on the Hy6 Prism.    I don't know if the WLF magnifier is the same between the Hy6 and 6008 so can only speak for 6000 series which came with -0.5 diopter magnifying inserts in the WLF. Anyone know if the WLF inserts are the same between Hy6 and 6000 series?  If so I may have a few different values.

The Hy6 manual says the following:

"To allow focusing without eyeglasses, the magnifier
of the folding hood can be changed for
one making allowance for the wearers visual
defect within a range of +2.5 to -4.5 dpt (as
referred to the dioptric value of the wearer).

The 45 Prism-finder gives an upright, rightside-
up view-finder image magnified 2.5x and
can be used in four different positions spaced
90 apart so that it makes for comfortable viewing
even in awkward shooting positions. As the
viewfinder is mounted, its display is automatically
adjusted for laterally correct presentation.

The 90 High-Eyepoint View-finder gives an
upright, right-side-up view-finder image magnified
3.4x. Its eyepiece can be easily adjusted
from +4 to -4 diopters. Its display is automatically
switched to laterally correct presentation.
The High-Eyepoint View-finder can likewise be
used in four different positions spaced 90 apart."

So, in short I do not believe you could exchange the diopter for the 45 prism finder, but it is possible for the other two finders.

Pascal

rolleiflexpages

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 01:17:52 AM »
ReplyReply

Another thought: since the 45 prism finder for the 6008 series can be adapted by F&H to be used with the Hy6 (change of mounting base only), I would tend to believe that both finders are as good as identical.

ThierryH

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 07:29:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Dear Pascal,

Just a little correction: the 45 6008 series prism is (was) actually modified by Sinar. And yes, both are absolutely identical concerning quality.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: rolleiflexpages
Another thought: since the 45 prism finder for the 6008 series can be adapted by F&H to be used with the Hy6 (change of mounting base only), I would tend to believe that both finders are as good as identical.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad