Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest  (Read 3750 times)
sanfairyanne

« on: November 12, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »
ReplyReply

The forum members on this site gave me clear advice when I bought my first SLR earlier this year answering my sometimes poorly constructed questions.

Therefore I decided to put my pictures on Pbase to show the fruits of my efforts, if anyone can spare a little time they can check them out at the webpage below.

The gallery is devoted to images from California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming and Colorado.

I realise I made some errors but I learnt a lot and now can't wait to plan a 2010 trip.

THE GALLERY CAN BE VIEWED AT: www.pbase.com/sanfairyanne/southwest
Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:29:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: sanfairyanne
The forum members on this site gave me clear advice when I bought my first SLR earlier this year answering my sometimes poorly constructed questions.

Therefore I decided to put my pictures on Pbase to show the fruits of my efforts, if anyone can spare a little time they can check them out at the webpage below.

The gallery is devoted to images from California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming and Colorado.

I realise I made some errors but I learnt a lot and now can't wait to plan a 2010 trip.

THE GALLERY CAN BE VIEWED AT: www.pbase.com/sanfairyanne/southwest

Some beautiful work there, no doubt about it. You've obviously got the technical stuff nailed down. You used HDR techniques for some images, no?
I'm amazed by how many of the photographic icons (not to say cliches) you bagged.

sanfairyanne

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Some beautiful work there, no doubt about it. You've obviously got the technical stuff nailed down. You used HDR techniques for some images, no?
I'm amazed by how many of the photographic icons (not to say cliches) you bagged.

You're right Geoff I was definitely 'bagging' all the popular shots, I guess I can justify it because I'm so new to photography and I wanted to have a good look round. When I mentioned my mistakes I know my impatience was one of them, for instance had I stayed one more day at Toroweap I could have got a moody sunset through storm clouds.

I did HDR quite a bit and I might have over-done it here and there, again that's a learning curve.
usathyan

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:48:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Some wonderful images! thanks for sharing.

--------------
Umesh Bhatt
http://www.8thcross.com/blog/
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »
ReplyReply

That is a stunning collection. You should be very proud of it.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
wolfnowl

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:46:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Some great work there.  Thanks for sharing them!

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
francois

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Excellent work, indeed! You managed to travel to hard to reach locations but also to get stunning photos.

Francois
EduPerez

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:07:05 AM »
ReplyReply

There is a ton of very good photographs there, I enjoyed some time in that gallery; congratulations and thanks for sharing.

However, I found a few not-so-good pieces (some of them are out-of-focus or blurry, and some seem in need of curves adjustment) that stand out among all that excellent work; I think those do not belong there, you do not need to show them

feppe

Oh this shows up in here!

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
ReplyReply

Some stunning shots there, especially for a starting photographer! I was especially impressed by the variety of the photography, from wide angles to HDR to wild life to details. I'm not t too fond of HDR, but there were a few which were subtle in HDR - much more pleasant. My favorite shot was the vertigo-inducing Spider-Rock-Canyon-de-Chelle.

Quote from: EduPerez
There is a ton of very good photographs there, I enjoyed some time in that gallery; congratulations and thanks for sharing.

However, I found a few not-so-good pieces (some of them are out-of-focus or blurry, and some seem in need of curves adjustment) that stand out among all that excellent work; I think those do not belong there, you do not need to show them

Agreed with EduPerez on the culling. Many "good" photographers are not necessarily any better at taking better pictures; they just show only their very best work

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:06:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: feppe
Agreed with EduPerez on the culling. Many "good" photographers are not necessarily any better at taking better pictures; they just show only their very best work

I can't remember where I heard this first, though obviously it was B.D. (Before digital)-
"The difference between amateur photographers and professionals is the size of their trash can."

My wife used to gripe about the waste as I repeatedly tossed unsuccessful slides into the trash can while editing my 'take' from a photo trip in the film era. I was always painfully aware that each click of the shutter was another 60˘ or so. At least with digital we can shoot more promiscuously, knowing the only cost is editing time and having sufficient card capacity.
Bill J

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Very nice work, and a lot of dedicated legwork, too.

I think my favorite is "Second-Wave-North-Coyotte-Buttes-Az" on page 3.

When I read your caption under "Fantasy-Canyon" (gallery page 1): "Sadly the most photogenic 'teapot' rock was either nocked or fell down. Michael Fatali has a shot of it named 'Back of Beyond' well worth buying if you can spare five or six thousand dollars."

...I couldn't help thinking, "Maybe it was Michael Fatali that knocked it down." Am I being unkind?
sanfairyanne

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Bill J
Very nice work, and a lot of dedicated legwork, too.

I think my favorite is "Second-Wave-North-Coyotte-Buttes-Az" on page 3.

When I read your caption under "Fantasy-Canyon" (gallery page 1): "Sadly the most photogenic 'teapot' rock was either nocked or fell down. Michael Fatali has a shot of it named 'Back of Beyond' well worth buying if you can spare five or six thousand dollars."

...I couldn't help thinking, "Maybe it was Michael Fatali that knocked it down." Am I being unkind?

Bill,

I'm just laughing from reading your comments about Fatali possibly nocking down the teapot rock at Fatali. Yes I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it were Fatali, I never met someone with something nice to say about the guy.
AndrewKulin

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Some very nice shots in there.  My favorite was your first shot of the Crystal Mill.  Absolutely amazing on two counts - the photograph itself and that I have never seen a photograph of this spot before.  One would think that a crazy structure like that would be a photographer magnet.

I also really liked the N.Coyote bluff photo and the one with you (?) jumping onto that hoodoo - I really hope that is not real and was photoshopped.

Andrew

sanfairyanne

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Reply to Andrew Culin,

Andrew that mill is one of Colorado's most recognisable locations of the 10 or 12 times I went there I never had it to myself. There are even Jeep tours out there. That made it hard to photograph without people getting in the way especially as my shot is a panorama. It's a stitch of 10 images, two rows of 5 each HDR'd from three exposures.
I met a couple of semi professional photographers who told me they'd never seen the mill shot in that way, I've seen several pano's but never one looking up and down stream.

My personal favourite is the mill with snow, I hiked up to the mill in the dark ready for first light, by the time any other photographers came up the snow had melted. A few days later the leaves on the Aspen blew off, so I was the only person to get that shot that year.

You mentioned the hoodoo shot, that was taken on the edge of Boulder Colorado, when I was there I met a photo journalist, he convinced me to do the jump. I had to make the jump several times to get it right, my parents wished I'd done that in post edit.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad