Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Mossbrae Falls  (Read 9780 times)
tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« on: December 02, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
ReplyReply

I thought I would share some of these locations with all of you.  According from the comments, I guess I should have done this here as opposed to the other place on Michael's site.

Michael, wrote the forward to my fine art coffee table book and those of you have bought this book have me some question about locations.  So the question was asked where is the opening image from with the graceful waterfall.  So i will add a bunch of images that i have shot over the years from there.  Its in Dunsmuir California, and has many opportunities for great images.  These have been shot over the past years.  Its best in the morning and I just checked you can find it on the google maps.

My friend Joseph Holmes just went up there in June and said the Dogwoods are longer there.  Every year its been a battle of shooting the dogwoods in bloom and trying to get them before the herds of deer eat them.  Have fun Tim

Logged
Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8213



WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:53:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Quite lovely and magical!
Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
EduPerez
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 695


WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:29:39 AM »
ReplyReply

I like the compositions and the effect of the long exposures; there are a couple of falling horizons, but that is easy to fix.
However, there is something strange about the colors, I see oversaturated blues and greens, but no reds at all; is that intended?
Logged

tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EduPerez
I like the compositions and the effect of the long exposures; there are a couple of falling horizons, but that is easy to fix.
However, there is something strange about the colors, I see oversaturated blues and greens, but no reds at all; is that intended?
There are no reds because this time of the early morning with low light produced very strong blues and the odd greens were produced from the 6-8 inch snow fall which created a very odd yellow green which seems to be a saturation issue.  But if you have seen any of my lectures or taken any of my workshops you would know that I like to shoot without really using photoshop and wait for unique lighting.  

The falling horizons are not me or the camera but the cliffside falling away from the camera.  I wish they didn't do that but nature is nature and cannot be improved upon.  The only reds I saw were in the pebbles up close to the river.

I would like to correct the horizons but then the water falling is not straight.  

My goal is always to shoot the most elegant images I can.  

Nature always has a way of surprising us.  Tim
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:36:40 PM by tim wolcott » Logged
tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
ReplyReply

I can't believe a response asking if I used HDR.  HDR as Michael would say sucks and doesn't work.  I still, nor Michael have seen a HDR that is worth using.

HDR is for people who don't want to wait for the lighting to get perfect the first time.  And no they are not two images merged together.

"There are no short cuts.  Great photography requires understanding light and composition, vision and patience–simple discipline–simple but never easy."

Logged
BlasR
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 760



WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tim wolcott
I can't believe a response asking if I used HDR.  HDR as Michael would say sucks and doesn't work.  I still, nor Michael have seen a HDR that is worth using.

HDR is for people who don't want to wait for the lighting to get perfect the first time.  And no they are not two images merged together.

"There are no short cuts.  Great photography requires understanding light and composition, vision and patience–simple discipline–simple but never easy."


So you didn't wait for good light on # 6?


I can see why the person ask you, maybe # 6?

the light in # 6 maybe look HDR?

Maybe is my monitor/eyes.  

BTW I didn't ask, but if some one ask, maybe is #6
Logged

tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: BlasR
So you didn't wait for good light on # 6?


I can see why the person ask you, maybe # 6?

the light in # 6 maybe look HDR?

Maybe is my monitor/eyes.  

BTW I didn't ask, but if some one ask, maybe is #6
Definately your monitor, That's 30 second exposure and still the whites were on the edge with even a Phase system.  Full 12 stops.  No it wasn't you who asked but some goof who sent a private email.  Shoot it once shoot it right.
Logged
BlasR
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 760



WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tim wolcott
Definately your monitor, That's 30 second exposure and still the whites were on the edge with even a Phase system.  Full 12 stops.  No it wasn't you who asked but some goof who sent a private email.  Shoot it once shoot it right.


I'm still have problem with some red  (but only #6,  as you say definately my monitor


If the person ask you maybe he have the same problem the I have with the part of the images.

maybe he just trying to learn or understand, don't get mad , is less then 18 days for xmas  

I'm no mad, even Chris call me baaaad and I will no have # 19.

So give, to the person a break, xmas is coming if you no goooood, no present for you.

Edit.

I just went to a friend, well no really a friend, he didn't give me cash, so just a person the I know.( i don't know him to well, he didn't give nothing)

I tell him to read, your post and my post, he say I must thank you, because you say is my monitor, no my eyes(uff  thanks God)

So thank you for that.  Now he say he have problem with he's monitor too but more with #6

I, me, my self, will go out now and play # 6, but I don't know how to do it, I hope I can ask EricM.

Marry Xmas
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:50:30 PM by BlasR » Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8213



WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: BlasR
I, me, my self, will go out now and play # 6, but I don't know how to do it, I hope I can ask EricM.

Marry Xmas
Blas,

Just ask Tim to send me a print of #6 and I'll be happy to tell you whether your monitor is bad.


-----------------

Tim,

The comments about #6 and "HDR" gave me an excuse to look at them all again. They're still quite lovely.

Eric M.

Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 11:18:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EricM
Blas,

Just ask Tim to send me a print of #6 and I'll be happy to tell you whether your monitor is bad.


-----------------

Tim,

The comments about #6 and "HDR" gave me an excuse to look at them all again. They're still quite lovely.

Eric M.
Thanks Eric, I try to make the images I create to very Elegant.  Blas didn't make the comment.  But still can't figure out why they are saying there are no reds.  This image has no reds, so if reds really are not present then there would be very little in the red channel.  This is the problem over all, photography is looked at very tech when it should the elegance of the images created when captured.  No amount of tech will ever replace the art of shooting and composing correctly.  Hope you like this one. Thanks Tim
Logged
BlasR
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 760



WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 05:17:50 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't just like it, I love it
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8213



WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: BlasR
I don't just like it, I love it

Me too.
Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
EduPerez
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 695


WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
ReplyReply

I think I must clarify my 'I see no reds' comment: from your explanation, I understand that those are the real colors that you saw; in that case, the view must have been amazing, I just wish I was there. When I had a first look to the photographs, the colors where so shocking that I thought there was a problem with the files (now I know better).

Thanks for the clarification about the horizons, too; I just hate when a perfectly levered photograph of mine looks like falling, because of perspective: ¿should I (falsely) correct it? ¿should I leave it as it is? ¿...?

And it was not me who mentioned HDR, by the way.

Logged

tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 05:26:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EduPerez
I think I must clarify my 'I see no reds' comment: from your explanation, I understand that those are the real colors that you saw; in that case, the view must have been amazing, I just wish I was there. When I had a first look to the photographs, the colors where so shocking that I thought there was a problem with the files (now I know better).

Thanks for the clarification about the horizons, too; I just hate when a perfectly levered photograph of mine looks like falling, because of perspective: ¿should I (falsely) correct it? ¿should I leave it as it is? ¿...?

And it was not me who mentioned HDR, by the way.
Those are the real colors.  The spring came and the snow fell on May31st.  It snowed about 6-8 inches and the plants had this weird yellow green color throughout california.  We even found this to be the case in Sequoia Nat'l Park.  I will post Dogwood Elegance sometime soon.  

This will be another great year for spring blooms if winter keeps in up.

About the horizons, try to get them without falling so harshly.  These look great at 50 and 60 inches.

I try to line myself up so I have very little perspective issues but sometimes nature says you have to stand here and you can't control it.  Tim
Logged
tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tim wolcott
Those are the real colors.  The spring came and the snow fell on May31st.  It snowed about 6-8 inches and the plants had this weird yellow green color throughout california.  We even found this to be the case in Sequoia Nat'l Park.  I will post Dogwood Elegance sometime soon.  

This will be another great year for spring blooms if winter keeps in up.

About the horizons, try to get them without falling so harshly.  These look great at 50 and 60 inches.

I try to line myself up so I have very little perspective issues but sometimes nature says you have to stand here and you can't control it.  Tim


Jackson, you should sign up and be a member to LL.  So to answer your question, yes the water does freeze in the winter.  But it also depends how cold it is.  The valley will probably not see much sun at all and with the spray plan on very cold.

However to answer your question about the dogwoods in front of the waterfall.  Yes it was shot in one shot.  The trick is to see it and try to find the right focal length lens to achieve that vision.  But I had to take 64 shots before I got 2 images that I knew were absolutely sharp.  At 3.5 and 5.5 seconds thing move very easily and water creates its own wind.  Have fun, I will probably be doing a workshop in the spring at the waterfalls.  Tim
Logged
luong
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 208



WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tim wolcott
HDR as Michael would say sucks and doesn't work.  I still, nor Michael have seen a HDR that is worth using.

HDR is for people who don't want to wait for the lighting to get perfect the first time.

What about GND ? Aren't they essentially the same technique ? I have seen a lot of GND images that work.
Logged

tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: luong
What about GND ? Aren't they essentially the same technique ? I have seen a lot of GND images that work.


GND's suck and they are not perfect,  first of all.  Don't use them.  People tend to shoot images with pieces of the sky in there shot because they are not focusing on the task of seeing the image they really want to create.  They are looking thru the viewfinder when they should be focusing on what makes the image work or not.  Looking thru a framing card works!!!!.  GND does not go around trees, mountains or other things that are in the way.  So you have a fake shadow on it and it looks stupid, when part of the tree is natural and the other has a different density to it.  


YOU DON'T GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING!!!!!!

If you have 12 stops of light with a Phase system, you need to shoot within that range.  ect.

Its no different that the older days of shooting B&W film and trying to fit it on to your paper.

That's the problem get back to basics, too much tech talk.  Its simple and I repeat.

No amount of photoshop, pixel counting, tech crap, will ever, and I mean ever, replace the object of seeing the right light, composing the image perfectly, choosing the right depth of field, picking the right focal length lens, and choosing the right angle to shoot the image correctly.  

Please if anyone see's me use a GND, shoot me, because if I'm that lazy to shoot it right.  I don't deserve to l have a Phase camera.  Tim
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:23:28 PM by tim wolcott » Logged
JamiePeters
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 66


« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:12 PM »
ReplyReply

So the dogwoods are gone, still an amazing place.  How long of a hike is it.  By the way, is it a hard hike.

Those images are amazing.  JP

Quote from: tim wolcott
I thought I would share some of these locations with all of you.  According from the comments, I guess I should have done this here as opposed to the other place on Michael's site.

Michael, wrote the forward to my fine art coffee table book and those of you have bought this book have me some question about locations.  So the question was asked where is the opening image from with the graceful waterfall.  So i will add a bunch of images that i have shot over the years from there.  Its in Dunsmuir California, and has many opportunities for great images.  These have been shot over the past years.  Its best in the morning and I just checked you can find it on the google maps.

My friend Joseph Holmes just went up there in June and said the Dogwoods are longer there.  Every year its been a battle of shooting the dogwoods in bloom and trying to get them before the herds of deer eat them.  Have fun Tim
Logged
tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: JamiePeters
So the dogwoods are gone, still an amazing place.  How long of a hike is it.  By the way, is it a hard hike.

Those images are amazing.  JP
The hike is about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes depending on your speed.  But keep your ears open for the trains are running.  The morning is by far the best, but bring headlamps if you want to shoot the longest time possible.  Its a very slight 2% grade at most.  Have fun, and you will get a little wet from the spray.  Tim
Logged
tim wolcott
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 472


WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
ReplyReply

Jamie, remember get there in the afternoon hike up to see it.  You can shoot there in the late evening but you have only 45 miutes. Stay the night so you know how to get there and hike in the morning in the dark so you have a long time to shoot.  You should get 3 hours in spring mornings.  Have fun.  T

Quote from: JamiePeters
So the dogwoods are gone, still an amazing place.  How long of a hike is it.  By the way, is it a hard hike.

Those images are amazing.  JP
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad