Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Made in the USA?  (Read 7146 times)
stewarthemley
Guest
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 03:25:37 AM »
ReplyReply

Of course you guys from the USA are right about a lot of the problems facing your country (shared by many other "developed" countries) BUT what always impresses me (British born, international parents, consider my allegiance is to the world and my species, not one little part of it) is that many of you are honest and secure enough to say so in public. I have many friends in the US, visit quite often, and see a clear trend (albeit slow) for Americans to be less insular. Always strikes me as a dilemma that the country with one of the highest immigrant populations could be so insular. Maybe Obama is the current personification (or to use the latest buzz word "avatar") of this move to look outside and give and take ideas. Long may it continue. Another positive note: is there a finer written constitution anywhere?
Logged
rainer_v
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1128


WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 06:40:34 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
I watched Obama on television early this morning, as he swung through the DriveThru Window at the PhaseOne factory, to pick up his P65+ in person, and I began to wonder, "Is anything in our industry actually made in the United States any longer?" I guess if this was 1965 or so, that Phase One back would have a Zenith sticker on it, or RCA, or Delco. But I look around, and I see Canon, Nikon, Phase, Rollei, Sony, Ricoh, Sinar, Arca, Alpa, none of which are US companies. I guess you could count Kodak, but do they actually make anything, or do they just distribute?

I think USA, and all I can count are that weird little White Lightning company, and maybe RRS in San Luis Obispo, but who knows where there stuff is actually manufactured? What the hell do we do in the USA any more, just watch "Dancing With The Stars"? Is that our only product any more: Reality Television? It just makes you wonder.

 one shouldnt forget computer development and software- although made and programmed mostly in the east, the profit will go mostly to US, and a company as apple or microsoft looks way more in the future than everything hardware besed.
Logged

rainer viertlböck
architecture photographer
munich / germany

www.tangential.de
Vautour
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 26


« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 07:24:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: rainer_v
one shouldnt forget computer development and software- although made and programmed mostly in the east, the profit will go mostly to US, and a company as apple or microsoft looks way more in the future than everything hardware besed.

It depends, where the profit goes. I remember reading an article where it was stated that Microsoft taxed its expenses in the US and its profits in Ireland (well, a portion at least). Why? Almost no taxes in Ireland on company profit. The article was about Steve Ballmer heating up about a proposal of president Obama that a US based company has to tax its profits in the US as well regardless where they've been made. And I don't think MS is alone in doing this. So it's more the loss goes to the US (at least from a tax point of view).

And no, Leica is indeed a pretty rare occurence here in Germany as well. Many manufaturing jobs have been outsourced to cheaper countries as has happened in the US but most products have stayed the same pricewise. With the interesting situation that ever more Germans can't afford homemade products because wages have come down to compete with east asia and eastern europe. A pretty hefty problem especially for the car industry. Last year was the first year in history when more new cars have been bought by firms than by private persons mostly due to an ever decreasing number of private persons being able to afford a new car. A trend that continues.
Inland demand has been low for the last decade and can't sustain our economy any longer. We're good at exporting machinery, yes, that's where the main part of Germany's economical growth for the last years has been made.
Logged
Phil Indeblanc
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1104


« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 12:23:09 PM »
ReplyReply

This is a great post, and so informative reading it.

As far as sensor technology, I thought Israel was funded to test/produce sensors?

Recently I wanted to upgrade my home theater receiver.  I wanted to get quality for the money I was about to spend. Every AVR was made in China from the Marantz brand.  I had to purchase an older version to get Japan made.  Yes, China Prod has gotten much better, but they still have QC issues.  Now if you know good audio, you know that most of those high end gear were made in the USA, and likely California(brand I know), specialy in the speaker market.  Go try and find a affordable set of speakers made localy.  You are likely to spend $1k before you find a new pair.  You will likely buy a Canadian, or UK speaker(many great speakers).  I know there are some, but if you were looking for something mid priced with quality, it is not easy! it is likely there...But not in your basic electronics store.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:25:49 PM by Phil Indeblanc » Logged

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
yaya
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1120



WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
just watch "Dancing With The Stars"? Is that our only product any more: Reality Television? It just makes you wonder.

err....that one is licensed from the BBC's "Strictly Come Dancing"....(and in case you're wondering, American Idol is based on The X-Factor)

But, you have Megavision, Kapture Group, Bill Maxwell, Lee Filters, BrightScreen and California Sun bounce!!!
Logged

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Mamiya Leaf |
e: ysh@leaf-photography.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
TMARK
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1834


« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Panavision!
Logged
Phil Indeblanc
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1104


« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: TMARK
Panavision!


Now thats company that needs to restructure with Red and 1080 SLR on rails...
Logged

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
mattlap2
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 134


« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 12:57:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: yaya
err....that one is licensed from the BBC's "Strictly Come Dancing"....(and in case you're wondering, American Idol is based on The X-Factor)

But, you have Megavision, Kapture Group, Bill Maxwell, Lee Filters, BrightScreen and California Sun bounce!!!

Isn't California Sunboune a German company?  
Logged
david o
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 310



WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Airstream is made in USA - Jackson Center Ohio...

Airstream Travel Trailer

since 1931, it'S related to photography, so many of them were use for background, setup... and they are damn sexy
Logged
gwhitf
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 818


« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: david olivier
Airstream Travel Trailer

since 1931, it'S related to photography, so many of them were use for background, setup... and they are damn sexy

David:

Design Within Reach teamed up with Airstream to make a limited edition of, to me, the most Bad-Ass Location Vehicle of all time. When push comes to shove, and the plot of "24" becomes a reality, I'm gonna steal one of these and head to the Arizona desert, to live out my remaining days (in style).

http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/1/ai...el-trailer.aspx
Logged
david o
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 310



WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
David:

Design Within Reach teamed up with Airstream to make a limited edition of, to me, the most Bad-Ass Location Vehicle of all time. When push comes to shove, and the plot of "24" becomes a reality, I'm gonna steal one of these and head to the Arizona desert, to live out my remaining days (in style).

http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/1/ai...el-trailer.aspx
I had a International 28 Christopher Deam is the designer of the line, his wife runs Dwell Magazine.
And I'll meet you up in AZ desert as soon as I am all organize to do so... I used to live full time, in Canada, BC in winter, and that's the best way to live...
and between you and I the only tattoo I have is an Airstream
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:19:10 PM by david olivier » Logged
Misirlou
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 584


WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 05:31:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: david olivier
I had a International 28 Christopher Deam is the designer of the line, his wife runs Dwell Magazine.
And I'll meet you up in AZ desert as soon as I am all organize to do so... I used to live full time, in Canada, BC in winter, and that's the best way to live...
and between you and I the only tattoo I have is an Airstream

Wow. Sweet. My wife and I also have a 28' CCD, came off the line in July of '04, and we took delivery in December of '04. We lived in it for about a year, travelling all over the US. It's out having some minor refurb work right now.

It's amazing how many people stop and say "They don't still make those, do they?" We did the tour at Jackson Center twice. Very cool.
Logged
david o
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 310



WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Misirlou
Wow. Sweet. My wife and I also have a 28' CCD, came off the line in July of '04, and we took delivery in December of '04. We lived in it for about a year, travelling all over the US. It's out having some minor refurb work right now.

It's amazing how many people stop and say "They don't still make those, do they?" We did the tour at Jackson Center twice. Very cool.

did twice as well...

and right always the same question...

I am Airstream obsess... airforums dot com is the other place I go with LL
Logged
BernardLanguillier
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 7762



WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
I think USA, and all I can count are that weird little White Lightning company, and maybe RRS in San Luis Obispo, but who knows where there stuff is actually manufactured? What the hell do we do in the USA any more, just watch "Dancing With The Stars"? Is that our only product any more: Reality Television? It just makes you wonder.

I would personnally say that Adobe is still one of the most important contributor to photography these days, but it is true that they do have a lot more competition now than 5 or 10 years ago. You should also consider that most of the underlying software foundations (OS, DBs,...) are also designed and owned by US companies.

Tiny companies like DxO, Kolor,... have managed to grow niches into mainstream domains generating significant revenue.

Another important contribution from the US is in carrying devices (bags) with companies like Tamrac for instance.

Cheers,
Bernard
Logged

A few images online here!
Craig Lamson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 760



WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: TMARK
Panavision!

Red
Logged

Craig Lamson Photo
www.craiglamson.com
mcfoto
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 938


WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Leatherman made in Portland Or

http://www.leatherman.com/about/history.aspx

One of those simple tools that work & great for photographers & assistants.
Denis
Logged

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com
carstenw
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581



« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2009, 04:49:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I would personnally say that Adobe is still one of the most important contributor to photography these days, but it is true that they do have a lot more competition now than 5 or 10 years ago. You should also consider that most of the underlying software foundations (OS, DBs,...) are also designed and owned by US companies.

Some of Apple's software is not written in the States, such as Logic Pro, which is written in Germany. Apple still owns it of course. I don't know if Microsoft uses branches in other countries to write software as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but then again, the only significant software Microsoft makes is Windows and Office, and that is all written in the States, I believe.

Quote
Tiny companies like DxO, Kolor,... have managed to grow niches into mainstream domains generating significant revenue.

DxO is French and Kolor is Canadian. PhotoMatix is made in Germany. The States used to have dominance in software, but that gets weaker every year, unsurprisingly, given how important it is becoming, in every country.

Quote
Another important contribution from the US is in carrying devices (bags) with companies like Tamrac for instance.

And Lowepro. However, many are not American, such as Billingham, Artisan & Artist, and so on.

I am not really sure what the point of this thread was. To lament the passing of American dominance?

The States used to be dominant in many areas of manufacturing, but as wages rose, production moved elsewhere. It is sad that almost the entire American photography industry got wiped out. I am not sure why that is. Perhaps the traditional American insistence on price as the primary motivating factor in making purchase decisions? It seems that all that is left is a bunch of niche players. Japan was probably the instigator in this move towards cheaper manufacturing, but now China is outdoing them in exactly the same fashion. I wonder how much consumer-oriented manufacturing will be going on in Japan in 10-20 years?

IMO there is too much emphasis on price, and too little emphasis on nurturing the local industries. It hurts us all when the local guy shuts his doors because they can manufacture cheaper on the other side of the planet.
Logged

Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad