Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Lightroom vignetting correction  (Read 4267 times)
viahorizon

« on: December 25, 2009, 04:42:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello,

I was doing a little panorama project using f/1.2 lens. I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results. It is hard to guess precisely the amount of vignetting + midpoint data just looking at the pictures.

Do you know of a lens vignetting database place or of a tool/script that could supply those values based of a sort of calibration image (solid blue sky for instance)?

Best,
VH

gallery@viahorizon
francois

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 05:07:52 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: viahorizon
Hello,

I was doing a little panorama project using f/1.2 lens. I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results. It is hard to guess precisely the amount of vignetting + midpoint data just looking at the pictures.

Do you know of a lens vignetting database place or of a tool/script that could supply those values based of a sort of calibration image (solid blue sky for instance)?

Best,
VH
PTLens ( http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/ ) or DXO ( http://www.dxo.com/us/photo ) might do the trick.

Francois
viahorizon

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 05:24:54 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks. PTLens looks promising. Yet it's all destructive editing and inside Lightroom it could be non-destructive.

gallery@viahorizon
francois

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 10:51:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks. PTLens looks promising. Yet it's all destructive editing and inside Lightroom it could be non-destructive.
There's no non-destructive solution at the moment, unfortunately.

Francois
viahorizon

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »
ReplyReply

I kind of hoped for a tool/hack to somehow estimate correct values to enter to lightroom vignetting tool... so the news is bad

gallery@viahorizon
Tklimek

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I have a feeling that if one is patient; that exact feature may show up in LR 3.x.

I think some of core features currently missing from Lightroom (i.e.; not "Stability, Speed, Image Quality", etc.) may be addressed in the newest release whenever it comes out, or in the subsequent .x releases.

Features I'm looking forward to seeing:

Distortion correction (along the lines of PTLENS)
Proper softproofing capability
Picture book layouts/capability

Other nice to have stuff:
True "plug-in" ability (ability to have plug-in's in the non-destructive pipeline)
HDR capability
Panaromic stiching capability

Can't wait to see how 3.0 turns out; the beta is pretty good!

Todd in Chicago

I kind of hoped for a tool/hack to somehow estimate correct values to enter to lightroom vignetting tool... so the news is bad
Panopeeper

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:40:54 PM »
ReplyReply

I was doing a little panorama project using f/1.2 lens. I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results
The following has nothing to do with your question. I conclude from your vignetting problem that you actually shot the pano frames with f/1.2. If that is right, I would like to understand why you were using such aperture for a panorama.

Gabor
NikoJorj

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 02:32:32 AM »
ReplyReply

I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results.
Well, most good panorama stitchers can correct vignetting themselves (at least, Hugin and PS-Photomerge do).

But having the data you need is far from complicated :
- shoot something evenly lit at the desired aperture, better at a very slow shutter speed and moving fairly the camera to have no detail at all on the image,
- then boost the contrast and find the proper vignetting setting in LR,
- and then make a preset with these vignetting parameters and apply to all other shots.
No ready-made automation for that, so far, alas.

Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
viahorizon

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:19:26 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for all the replies.

@NikoJori: I did as you advice thanks to the hints from another user. I've found the vignetting to be not exactly symmetrical (see attached greyscale image files).

@Panopeeper: I don't want to be limited in my aperture choice when doing panos -- sometimes I decide I'd like shallow DOF or I have no tripod.

There is very interesting read about nonuniform image illumination @ http://www.reindeergraphics.com/index.php?...&Itemid=125
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:38:25 AM by viahorizon » Logged

gallery@viahorizon
Panopeeper

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't want to be limited in my aperture choice when doing panos -- sometimes I decide I'd like shallow DOF or I have no tripod.
That's all right, but the sharpness at the edges is usually the victim, and that can ruin the pano.

Gabor
sandymc

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:57:48 AM »
ReplyReply

I've found the vignetting to be not exactly symmetrical (see attached greyscale image files).

CornerFix (at least V1.3+) can handle asymmetrical vignetting. You'd have to convert your images to DNG to be able to use it however.

Sandy
viahorizon

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
ReplyReply

@Sandy

Thank you very much! That's the exact tool I was looking for. Splendid!

gallery@viahorizon
dkekesi

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 06:26:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Why don't you try using PTGUI for stitching? It will automatically correct for falloff during the process, so you do not need to bother.

Best Regards,
Dániel Kékesi
www.kekesi.com
viahorizon

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
ReplyReply

I tried it - some vignetting is removed, but not all.

gallery@viahorizon
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad