Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Website re-design  (Read 1907 times)
Jeremy Payne
Guest
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »
ReplyReply

... please check-out the newly re-launched site ...

http://photography.jeremypayne.net/

Russ & Dark ... I didn't change the DNS yet, so you probably will have the same issues ... I wouldn't mind if you checked to see, but I can't promise it will work for you yet ... soon ...
Logged
tokengirl
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 360



« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
ReplyReply

I love the simplicity.  The white background shows off the photos clearly and without influence.  However, I do wish there were thumbnails so that I could pick which photos I wanted to look at without having to look through the entire stream.  If I want to revisit one particular photo, thumbnails would sure be helpful.

Two small functionality issues:

1.  Once I leave your home page and enter one of the galleries or other pages on your site, how do I get back to the home page?  

2.  When I click on the "contact" link, it automatically opened my e-mail program to send you an e-mail.  That was kind of annoying.  I think an actual page that lists your contact information with e-mail address would be better.
Logged
Jeremy Payne
Guest
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tokengirl
I love the simplicity.  The white background shows off the photos clearly and without influence.  However, I do wish there were thumbnails so that I could pick which photos I wanted to look at without having to look through the entire stream.  If I want to revisit one particular photo, thumbnails would sure be helpful.

Two small functionality issues:

1.  Once I leave your home page and enter one of the galleries or other pages on your site, how do I get back to the home page?  

2.  When I click on the "contact" link, it automatically opened my e-mail program to send you an e-mail.  That was kind of annoying.  I think an actual page that lists your contact information with e-mail address would be better.
Thanks for the feedback!

I agree on the thumbnails ... I want to find the right elegant and simple solution for that.

On #1 - thanks for pointing that out - the "photography by jeremy payne" at the top was supposed to link back to the home page, but that link vanished ... will fix.

On #2 - I think I'll change that as well.

Thanks again!
Logged
RSL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5720



WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Jeremy, The index page comes up reasonably fast now, but I've run into a new problem. When I click on People or any of the other categories I get a notice that my Firefox needs an Adobe Flash upgrade. But according to Adobe's Flash web my copy of Firefox already has the most recent Flash upgrade installed. Got to put a lecture together at the moment, so I'll tackle it again later.
Logged

Jeremy Payne
Guest
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, The index page comes up reasonably fast now, but I've run into a new problem. When I click on People or any of the other categories I get a notice that my Firefox needs an Adobe Flash upgrade. But according to Adobe's Flash web my copy of Firefox already has the most recent Flash upgrade installed. Got to put a lecture together at the moment, so I'll tackle it again later.
Try again when you get a chance ... I did something wrong but I fixed it ... I tried to update the page to fix the top link and fouled it up so I rolled back.
Logged
kikashi
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3669



« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
... please check-out the newly re-launched site ...

http://photography.jeremypayne.net/

Russ & Dark ... I didn't change the DNS yet, so you probably will have the same issues ... I wouldn't mind if you checked to see, but I can't promise it will work for you yet ... soon ...
I've always liked SimpleViewer. The photos load very quickly (since it caches them for you). Thumbnails would be nice.

My only real criticism is that too much of the screen is taken up with "Photography by Jeremy Payne". On my MacBook Pro screen (900 pixels high) the links at the bottom of the page are offscreen.

Nearly all screens these days are wider than they are high.  Why not put your name and the links at one side?

Jeremy
Logged
LoisWakeman
Guest
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:37:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Jeremy - a nice clean design - and you can change photos with the keyboard - which is excellent. I also think that you could use less space at the top without your name being too cramped, so all the photos show (this is looking on an average laptop screen!)

Performance was really bad when I looked (9:15GMT, from the UK) - it took over a minute for the slideshow to load and all I got was a little grey box with "Done" on the status bar - I had to click it to see the first image. This is in Firefox 3.5. It seems to be waiting both for adobe.com  and  thepaynes.dlinkddns.com.

I've just tried again, and this time, I just get a box saying simpleviewer and nowt happens when I click. A shame, as the photos I saw the first time looked well worth exploring!
Logged
RSL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5720



WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:47:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Jeremy, I finally got back to it this morning. I'm having about the same problems Lois is having. I'm not having a problem with the height of the page since I have a monitor that's not "wide-screen," but loading time is very long -- more than a minute. I got off after a couple pictures in the people section, then came back a bit later. Now, of course, the stuff that's in my cache loads immediately, but once I got past the kid in the water -- face up -- things slowed down to a very slow crawl. Love that shot of the kid, by the way.
Logged

Jeremy Payne
Guest
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 06:49:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: kikashi
Nearly all screens these days are wider than they are high.  Why not put your name and the links at one side?

I think you have a real solid point ... I'm gonna start re-thinking how to get the links off to the side and get the thumbnails underneath.
Logged
AndrewKulin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 332



WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
ReplyReply

I experienced none of the issues described above - the site loaded quickly w/o any issues.  

As others  have already stated nice and simple site, some well done photos.  Quite the breadth of experience too ID'd on your about page.

My only pet peeve, I am not crazy about the next/previous arrows fading in/out.  Would prefer they always be visible and in the same place so I can just park my mouse and click.

Some stats :

Firefox 3.5.7
Cable Modem
1920x1200 screen
XP-64 Pro

Andrew
Logged

DarkPenguin
Guest
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »
ReplyReply

About a minute to load the index.
Logged
kikashi
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3669



« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 01:19:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: AndrewKulin
My only pet peeve, I am not crazy about the next/previous arrows fading in/out.  Would prefer they always be visible and in the same place so I can just park my mouse and click.
Andrew,

You can park your mouse pretty much anywhere and click, in fact. There's no need to click on the arrow: if it's visible and you click, the photo changes. It's another thing to like about SimpleViewer!

Jeremy
Logged
Jeremy Payne
Guest
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: kikashi
Nearly all screens these days are wider than they are high.  Why not put your name and the links at one side?
I took your advice ...

Try one more time, if you please:

http://photography.jeremypayne.net

Now I just need to solve the weird routing issues that Dark and Russ have ...
Logged
Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 7445



WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I took your advice ...

Try one more time, if you please:

http://photography.jeremypayne.net

Now I just need to solve the weird routing issues that Dark and Russ have ...
Clean, elegant, simple, and easy to use. And fast (at least from Massachusetts).

-Eric


P.S. Interested to see you got turned on to Photography by Diz Bensley. He was there back in my day, too (class of '57) but I never paid any attention to him or the Addison Gallery. I first got seriously interested in photography the summer after I graduated. Sigh!

Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Jeremy Payne
Guest
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
Clean, elegant, simple, and easy to use. And fast (at least from Massachusetts).

-Eric


P.S. Interested to see you got turned on to Photography by Diz Bensley. He was there back in my day, too (class of '57) but I never paid any attention to him or the Addison Gallery. I first got seriously interested in photography the summer after I graduated. Sigh!

Thanks!

Diz was amazing and by the time I arrived in 1982, he had "intro to visual studies" down to a 'science' ... we spent half the class in the studio doing traditional "art" and half the time 'learning to see' through black and white photography.  He had us use these little plastic Chinese cameras with one aperture.  They recorded very little detail and we learned to compose with shapes, patterns, contrast and light.  Many others have taught me many techniques, but he is the only person that has ever changed the way I see the world.
Logged
kikashi
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3669



« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 05:39:30 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I took your advice ...

Try one more time, if you please:

http://photography.jeremypayne.net

Now I just need to solve the weird routing issues that Dark and Russ have ...
I like it more. I still feel that you're wasting space, though, and as a result that the main images are much smaller than they could be. For example, although the links are now nicely positioned at the left, the large photo doesn't come anywhere near the top of the window: it's as if the "Jeremy Payne" name on the left has attached white space that continues across the page.

Perhaps you could try splitting "Photography by" and "Jeremy Payne" into two lines. Just a thought.

The main point of the site, it seems to me, is the current large photo. I think you should try to make it as big as possible.

What size screen (vertical resolution) are you aiming to accommodate?

Jeremy
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad