Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: New Leaf Aptus-II 8 released  (Read 7944 times)
yaya
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1150



WWW
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:38:59 AM »
ReplyReply

More info
Logged

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Mamiya Leaf |
e: ysh@mamiyaleaf.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
TMARK
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1843


« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Yair.

Is this the Dalsa or the Kodak 40?  Are there microlenses?  It is FAST, for a back.

And the end all be all, US MSRP?

Thanks in advance Yair.
Logged
shutay
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 203


WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
ReplyReply

The announcement seems to proclaim quite prominently - as Leaf usually does - that the back can be connected to large format cameras. It would seem to be that they are continuing the "tradition" of not using microlenses on any of their backs, not even the 28-megapixel Aptus II 6, which is also sports a 44mm x 33mm, eventhough Sinar's version, the eSprit 65 does have microlenses.

DPReview.com lists the Aptus-II 8's price as €13.995.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:01:59 AM by shutay » Logged
Steve Hendrix
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1158


WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: shutay
The announcement seems to proclaim quite prominently - as Leaf usually does - that the back can be connected to large format cameras. It would seem to be that they are continuing the "tradition" of not using microlenses on any of their backs, not even the 28-megapixel Aptus II 6, which is also sports a 44mm x 33mm, eventhough Sinar's version, the eSprit 65 does have microlenses.

DPReview.com lists the Aptus-II 8's price as €13.995.


44x33 sensors with microlenses
Phase One P30+
Phase One P21+
Sinar eSprit 65
Hasselblad H3DII-31

44x33 sensors without microlenses
Phase One P40+
Leaf Aptus II 8
Leaf Aptus II 6

USD pricing on the Aptus II 8 is $19,995



Steve Hendrix




Logged

Steve Hendrix
Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 404.543.8475
rolleiflexpages
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 164



WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
ReplyReply

And again I am quite simply speaking speechless when I see the long list of supported hardware (camera bodies), including a lot of "legacy" systems such as Contax 645 but no support whatsoever for the previous Leaf camera platform, which it has been promoting for over two years as the world's best and fastest system, i.e. the Leaf AFi / Hy6 platform. It is incredible and sad to see how a company can deny its own (previous) products.
Pascal
Logged

Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com
Rolleiflex 6008 AF + DB20p, Rolleiflex Hy6, Leaf AFi-II 7
BJL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5182


« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
44x33 sensors with microlenses
Phase One P30+
Phase One P21+
Sinar eSprit 65
Hasselblad H3DII-31
and
Hasselblad H4D-40
Pentax 645D ("Coming soon! This time we really mean it!!") http://www.camera-pentax.jp/new/

The maximum ISO being 800 (and minimum less than 100) is usually good code language for the absence of micro-lenses. In this case because Dalsa does not put them on its 44x33 sensor yet?
Logged
BJL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5182


« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John-S
I think simply, the Aptus series has never been available for the AFi platform.
Which was maybe fine back when the AFi cameras were available, but is no justification for leaving Afi customers out in the cold when they want to upgrade their back. Or replace one that has broken down. One way or the other, MF bodies will probably on average have longer service lives than MF digital backs.
Logged
HarperPhotos
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1263



WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Hello,

I can just see the poor photographer who buys this back having to explained to there client why the sixty images per minute they have just shot are full of colour moiré in the model’s cloths, and how is he or she going to fix it.

Cheers

Simon
Logged

Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
Guy Mancuso
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1126


WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
44x33 sensors with microlenses
Phase One P30+
Phase One P21+
Sinar eSprit 65
Hasselblad H3DII-31

44x33 sensors without microlenses
Phase One P40+
Leaf Aptus II 8
Leaf Aptus II 6

USD pricing on the Aptus II 8 is $19,995



Steve Hendrix


Just to add Steve HD4/40 and S2 have Micro Lenses
Logged

Steve Hendrix
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1158


WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
Just to add Steve HD4/40 and S2 have Micro Lenses


Yes, Harper caught the H4D-40. Didn't even think of the S2. Guess I need to count that too. I'm not counting Pentax. Show me the money, then I'll count it.

So, the updated list:


44x33 sensors with microlenses
Phase One P30+
Phase One P21+
Sinar eSprit 65
Hasselblad H3DII-31
Hasselblad H4D-40
Leica S2 (although technically it is not 44x33, but 45x30)

44x33 sensors without microlenses
Phase One P40+
Leaf Aptus II 8
Leaf Aptus II 6


Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:38:19 PM by Steve Hendrix » Logged

Steve Hendrix
Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 404.543.8475
TMARK
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1843


« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: BJL
Which was maybe fine back when the AFi cameras were available, but is no justification for leaving Afi customers out in the cold when they want to upgrade their back. Or replace one that has broken down. One way or the other, MF bodies will probably on average have longer service lives than MF digital backs.

You mean all 6 AFi owners?  Seriously, how many AFi's were sold? Probably not enough to justify the cost of an additional mount.
Logged
rolleiflexpages
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 164



WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: TMARK
You mean all 6 AFi owners?  Seriously, how many AFi's were sold? Probably not enough to justify the cost of an additional mount.

Huh?

The amount of sold AFi or Hy6 cameras may not have been huge compared to some of the older systems, but I am sure it is not the only such system on the long list of compatible systems, including several legacy devices. Wasn't it Leaf itself that decided to drop its own system? If it had been still offered there would be a bigger user base for sure. Isn't it adding insult to injury to support older systems of all possible makes without supporting one's own, previously so acclaimed, system? Even more so, if one owns the intellectual property rights to the camera system. What am I missing here? It almost sounds like a deliberate sabotage by the new Leaf/PhaseOne (for your information: the Hy6 is still offered new through DHW Fototechnik and Sinar).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:38:19 AM by rolleiflexpages » Logged

Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com
Rolleiflex 6008 AF + DB20p, Rolleiflex Hy6, Leaf AFi-II 7
Juanito
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 170


WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 01:20:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Remind me please what's the deal with micro lenses? What are the benefits and disadvantages? I know I've read about them on this forum, but I'm blanking on the details now.

John
Logged

jimgolden
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 406


WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:58:55 AM »
ReplyReply

who cares?
Logged
archivue
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 417


« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 03:01:05 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Juanito
Remind me please what's the deal with micro lenses? What are the benefits and disadvantages?
John

on the start, micro lenses increase sensitivity ans i think it reduce moiré (not certain about it), but it makes camera movement difficult because of color artifacts...

For exemple, an Aptus 22 is good for architecture while a P30+ is better for fashion and 400 iso...
Logged
AndreasSchmidt
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 21


WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 03:31:13 AM »
ReplyReply

@Pascal: I agree with you regarding the HY6 - the new back adapts to more or less every system from history too now, only except Rollei 6008 and HY6. I don't understand this too. OK, developing an AFI-version parallel might be too expensive given the small number of cameras around, I agree - but (in case the firmware of HY6 doesn't lock out other back than AFI and Sinar, and even this shouldn't be a problem for LEAF, as they own the specs of HY6, so far I know) it should be quite easy to produce a back that just fits to HY6. Not as much integrated as it was with the AFI (need for 2 batteries in example), but it could work. Make the back rotating (might be easier than the rotating sensor, though this of course is the more elegant solution), and all AFI-users would be able to upgrade/replace, if needed.
I also would like to see Phase-Backs as an option  - but this of course is not up to LEAF...

Andreas - had a Sinar HY6 rented for a weekend and, well, I love it
Logged
Luxferre
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 43


« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 04:22:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: AndreasSchmidt
@Pascal: I agree with you regarding the HY6 - the new back adapts to more or less every system from history too now, only except Rollei 6008 and HY6. I don't understand this too. OK, developing an AFI-version parallel might be too expensive given the small number of cameras around, I agree - but (in case the firmware of HY6 doesn't lock out other back than AFI and Sinar, and even this shouldn't be a problem for LEAF, as they own the specs of HY6, so far I know) it should be quite easy to produce a back that just fits to HY6. Not as much integrated as it was with the AFI (need for 2 batteries in example), but it could work. Make the back rotating (might be easier than the rotating sensor, though this of course is the more elegant solution), and all AFI-users would be able to upgrade/replace, if needed.
I also would like to see Phase-Backs as an option  - but this of course is not up to LEAF...

Andreas - had a Sinar HY6 rented for a weekend and, well, I love it

Phase One politics...

Logged

www.smitsphoto.com
______________________________
Ed Jack
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 225


« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »
ReplyReply



 Hey Cut Yair some slack!

Responses like: "who cares" (in this thread) are infantile and disrespectful to Yair and the forum, this is the MFDB forum so this product announcement is more relevant than 80% of the threads started here these days. This thread alone is good evidence of the fact the odd troll pops it's head up to dillute down the good stuff. I think only people who have and use a digital back and thoose with a real need to look at upgrading or getting into the game should have any contribution here, rather than just people trying to convice us that MFDB's are a waste of money or that their 5DMKII is better than phase One backs or some other nonsense.

In short why can't we ALL just applaud Yair for being here to answer out questions and keep us up to date, isn't that what internet forums are for ?

Logged
yaya
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1150



WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 03:38:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Anyone in Amsterdam, NL, who would like to see the new Aptus-II 8 and how it works with C1 5 (or just to say hello), I'm in town today and tomorrow, showing it at Eyes On Media.

Yair
Logged

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Mamiya Leaf |
e: ysh@mamiyaleaf.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
Frank Doorhof
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1524


WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Would love to but I'm leaving to teach in Belgium.
Have fun in Amsterdam.
Don't drink coffee in a coffee shop
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad