Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: How to Kill a Nikon (is this art?)  (Read 15670 times)
customminds
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 11


« on: March 06, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
ReplyReply

The 1,2,3's on how to kill a Nikon.

video and high res images here.
Wedding Photographer destroys camera







Art or not?
Logged

-----------------------------------
 Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer
-----------------------------------
fredjeang
Guest
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »
ReplyReply

Cheap art called: messing us around. Dali made the point in an old interview: "If Vermeer does any kind of performance, it will always be a Vermeer. If a joker does any kind of performance, it will always be a joke".
They better gave this camera to someone who would have loved to have it and could not.

To me it is art, but very cheap one.

Cheers.
Logged
kikashi
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4122



« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: customminds
The 1,2,3's on how to kill a Nikon.

video and high res images here.
Wedding Photographer destroys camera







Art or not?
Pointless, half-wittted clowning. Not art.

Jeremy
Logged
ckimmerle
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 442



WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Art needs to have a meaning. This looks more like boredom.
Logged

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

Chuck Kimmerle
WWW.CHUCKKIMMERLE.COM
Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8291



WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
ReplyReply

It looks to me like the ultimate Canon vs. Nikon brand war. I will guard my Canon equipment closely, because this sort of thing is likely to incite mindless retaliation.

Art? No.

Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
RSL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 6553



WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
ReplyReply

If he understood fine art he'd know that to be "fine art" it has to be expensive. Burning up a D50 is low art.
Logged

customminds
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 11


« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: RSL
If he understood fine art he'd know that to be "fine art" it has to be expensive. Burning up a D50 is low art.


heh  (who said fine art?)


i'll share the secret later this weekend.

enjoyed the emotional responses so far.

:-)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:07:15 PM by customminds » Logged

-----------------------------------
 Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer
-----------------------------------
Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8291



WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:47:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: customminds
i'll share the secret later this weekend.

My wild guess: In the first scene, just after you show that the camera actually works, you step out of the video camera view just long enough to substitute the one that was already broken too much to be repairable.


I still won't call it art (sleight of hand, maybe?    )

Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
jasonrandolph
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 554


WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:53:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Art?  No.  Juvenile?  Unquestionably.  Imagine what a young kid whose parents can't afford to buy him/her a DSLR could've done with a "mere" D50...  What a waste.
Logged

fredjeang
Guest
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 02:30:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jasonrandolph
Art?  No.  Juvenile?  Unquestionably.  Imagine what a young kid whose parents can't afford to buy him/her a DSLR could've done with a "mere" D50...  What a waste.
Totally agree...this is pure middle class erasmus kid game having cheap fun and thinking they are the new Joseph Kosuth, they fool themselves.
I'd like to see the same stupid thing with a new hasselblad. But this one is just a joke.
Logged
EduPerez
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 696


WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:14 AM »
ReplyReply

Just one thought comes to my mind: "why?".
Logged

wthomphoto
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 18


WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EduPerez
Just one thought comes to my mind: "why?".
Yep, that's got to be the stupidist  f**kin thing I've ever seen.
Logged
LoisWakeman
Guest
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: customminds
Art or not?
Do you actually need to ask? - oh yeah, you are plugging your blog.
Logged
RSL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 6553



WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:34:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: LoisWakeman
Do you actually need to ask? - oh yeah, you are plugging your blog.
BINGO!!!!
Logged

customminds
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 11


« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Secrets

    First off, had a great time reading all the comments!. ... and yes, I'm glad you can't send punches through the forum. :-P



    The idea of giving the camera to a school, student or Don7849 (a random user) would have been a great idea. (Someone at dpreview said I should fulfill the Kenya mail scam -- that was the best. )


    While some people think I was pretty crazy/stupid/immature to burn a d50, I found it informative and well... very fun. Most of us never see equipment destroyed, especially by a blow torch. I had a great time doing it (I am gearing up for your pyro comments.)


    As for the camera shots, a non-camera person was shooting. i set up the camera for him, but i guess i forgot to tell him about the center spot focus and the minimum lens distance. and no, i won't be burning the 1ds anytime soon.


    And lastly, while I 'proved' the camera was functional... it wasn't. Yes it did take pictures,.... but,.... only bright daytime subjects at M, 1/30 shutter, F4.? and ISO 1600. A set employee this last year decided that holding the camera was not what she desired, so she dropped it. I think at the time 6:10 or 6:20 into the video you can see a huge crack on the bottom of the camera... that was originally there. The lens was also broken from a different drop test - it only could take pictures on M (not A) on the lens. -- zoom was physically impossible.


    As for the valuable parts, the battery and the cheap 512mb memory card, i of course saved those. waste not.


    Now as for the comments about selling for parts. We did that last season. The camera sells for $15 to the camera rapair store then $5 for the lens. Shipping was on us and cost 5-10 bucks to ship. I would be able to eat a super-sized meal at mcdonalds with the profit (or 10 chicken crisps at burger king). We sold 12 broken d40, d50, d70 and d100 cameras last season. and about 20 x 18-55 lenses. (the kit lens broke quite easily believe it or not) We used the money we made to pay for part of one new D40 + lens.


Fixing the camera and lens would have cost more than a new D50 or D40 (if either were still made or sold) and the warranty was no longer valid. (not to mention they probably would not honor it).
lastly, while we did box it and ship it, we didn't ship back to nikon. instead we shipped to a friend as a gag. They should get it tomorrow.


Thank you all again for checking it out. I hope you can watch it again with a little more fun knowing its not really 'working'.



And remember, when I have a blow torch in my hands, you might want to keep your cameras away!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:01:11 PM by customminds » Logged

-----------------------------------
 Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer
-----------------------------------
RazorTM
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 54


WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 06:11:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: customminds
Secrets

    First off, had a great time reading all the comments!. ... and yes, I'm glad you can't send punches through the forum. :-P



    The idea of giving the camera to a school, student or Don7849 (a random user) would have been a great idea. (Someone at dpreview said I should fulfill the Kenya mail scam -- that was the best. )


    While some people think I was pretty crazy/stupid/immature to burn a d50, I found it informative and well... very fun. Most of us never see equipment destroyed, especially by a blow torch. I had a great time doing it (I am gearing up for your pyro comments.)


    As for the camera shots, a non-camera person was shooting. i set up the camera for him, but i guess i forgot to tell him about the center spot focus and the minimum lens distance. and no, i won't be burning the 1ds anytime soon.


    And lastly, while I 'proved' the camera was functional... it wasn't. Yes it did take pictures,.... but,.... only bright daytime subjects at M, 1/30 shutter, F4.? and ISO 1600. A set employee this last year decided that holding the camera was not what she desired, so she dropped it. I think at the time 6:10 or 6:20 into the video you can see a huge crack on the bottom of the camera... that was originally there. The lens was also broken from a different drop test - it only could take pictures on M (not A) on the lens. -- zoom was physically impossible.


    As for the valuable parts, the battery and the cheap 512mb memory card, i of course saved those. waste not.


    Now as for the comments about selling for parts. We did that last season. The camera sells for $15 to the camera rapair store then $5 for the lens. Shipping was on us and cost 5-10 bucks to ship. I would be able to eat a super-sized meal at mcdonalds with the profit (or 10 chicken crisps at burger king). We sold 12 broken d40, d50, d70 and d100 cameras last season. and about 20 x 18-55 lenses. (the kit lens broke quite easily believe it or not) We used the money we made to pay for part of one new D40 + lens.


Fixing the camera and lens would have cost more than a new D50 or D40 (if either were still made or sold) and the warranty was no longer valid. (not to mention they probably would not honor it).
lastly, while we did box it and ship it, we didn't ship back to nikon. instead we shipped to a friend as a gag. They should get it tomorrow.


Thank you all again for checking it out. I hope you can watch it again with a little more fun knowing its not really 'working'.



And remember, when I have a blow torch in my hands, you might want to keep your cameras away!

I thought to myself that this camera had to be broken in some manner--just seeing you "take a photo" with it wasn't proof enough to me that it was fully functional.  I love the rage which you've incited on various internet forums with this little stunt.  I quite enjoyed it myself  
Logged
LoisWakeman
Guest
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 08:40:59 AM »
ReplyReply

More a sigh of mild ennui than rage here....
Logged
customminds
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 11


« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: RazorTM
I thought to myself that this camera had to be broken in some manner--just seeing you "take a photo" with it wasn't proof enough to me that it was fully functional.  I love the rage which you've incited on various internet forums with this little stunt.  I quite enjoyed it myself  


Haha, thanks Razor.  You were correct.

Truth be told, I watched some kid 'fake'-drop his camera (D3) and made it look like it still worked... then put it into a non-working microwave and 'it still worked again'.... i thought to myself... I can do better.

So, by destroying it I did expect an 'offended' response from the the viewers.  But, I also hoped each person would look to their equipment with a renewed appreciation -- And, just hopefully, go out and use their camera.  

Logged

-----------------------------------
 Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer
-----------------------------------
PeterValk
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
ReplyReply

"We sold 12 broken d40, d50, d70 and d100 cameras last season. and about 20 x 18-55 lenses"

What the heck are you doing to your equipment?
Maybe it's time to buy something more durable, or be more careful.
Nikon probably gives you wholesale discounts by now I guess.

Peter
Logged
Greg Campbell
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 42



« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 03:12:19 PM »
ReplyReply

This mindless destruction seems more an Ego Exercise than any attempt at 'art.'
Zero stars.  FAIL!  LOSER!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad