Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Zacuto - DSLR and film tests - small screen to cinema  (Read 6077 times)
ErikKaffehr

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

Check this for ISOs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed#Di..._exposure_index.

Regarding "full" stop ISOs they are differently implemented on cameras.

The figure below may give you some idea.

[attachment=21751:Screen_s...41.41_AM.png]

There are considerable choices regarding ISO on digital cameras. One limitation is that the sensor cell can hold a certain number of electrons, this is called full well capacity. FWC is the limit for low ISO. The issue is quite complex. Basically, exposure should be to the right, as near FWC as possible, for the least noise and highest DR. The tonality of the image is created during postprocessing by camera CPU (JPEG) or computer (RAW).

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: stever
i believe the "native/true" ISOs are 160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500,...

i'm still curious why Canon and Nikon have the same "native" ISOs

similarly curious why you must use the full range of settings to select the "native" ISOs and when you select full stop ISOs you get 100, 200, 400, 800, ...

how much difference is there really?  is the noise at ISO 160 really the same as ISO 100? 640 the same as 400?

feppe

Oh this shows up in here!

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:25 AM »
ReplyReply

The third and final instalment is online.

For me the most interesting part was the pseudo-RAW test, essentially comparing a video frame with a still frame, to see what the future brings when someone figures out how to extract several gibabits of data per second from the sensor and transfer it the memory card - not including audio!

To throw more fuel to the dynamic range fire the guys conclude that 5DMII has 12-13 stops of DR.

There is a uncomfortable laughter in the screening room when someone observes that film is dead when these cameras go RAW. This should be clear to any stills photographer, but it's apparent that it hasn't hit home to the video and cinema guys, yet.

Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad