Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Import of Files, best practice?  (Read 6157 times)
mkravit
Guest
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »
ReplyReply

I am getting ready to deploy a new installation of Aperture. I have gone through all of my images, folders and sub-folders organizing and cleaning them up. I am now ready to import into Aperture.

What is considered the "best" methodology. Or at the very least is there a preference between importing the actual files into the Aperture Library or keeping the files in their current location.

I am looking for opinions since this is a brand new deployment and I want to do it the most efficient and best way. I realize the "best" is subjective but I am really not familiar with Aperture 3.

Thanks
Mike
Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 305


WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mkravit
I am getting ready to deploy a new installation of Aperture. I have gone through all of my images, folders and sub-folders organizing and cleaning them up. I am now ready to import into Aperture.

What is considered the "best" methodology. Or at the very least is there a preference between importing the actual files into the Aperture Library or keeping the files in their current location.

I am looking for opinions since this is a brand new deployment and I want to do it the most efficient and best way. I realize the "best" is subjective but I am really not familiar with Aperture 3.

Thanks
Mike

Mike,

Not sure if you are using a MacBook Pro or an iMac or may even a Mac Pro. I am currently using a MacBook Pro 15" 2.66 8GB DDR3 with a LCD 24" Cinema  Display.

Personally I do not store any of my image in the computer or reference them (MacBook Pro). I use external Firewire 800 portable hard drives. I use both LaCie 320GB Rugged Triple Interface Portable Hard Drive and Iomega 500GB eGo Portable Mac Edition Hard Drive. When importing to Aperture 3.02 library I also backup images to another drive at the time of the import. I use the Vault to backup Aperture 3 Library. Besides my main drive I have two drives that I use for the Vault backup. So now I have backup images and two library backups. I am thinking of going to a 3rd vault on another portable hard drive and store that one in my safety deposit box.
I have found that the firewire 800 works extremely fast with Aperture 3.02.

Now to go further I have folders for each year.  Example 2008, 2009 , 2010 and so on.
Under each folder I have my projects which I name as current date and project.  Example:  20100330_crawfishfestival
When importing I have a pre set that I have set up for naming images:  Example: year month day_custom name_counter (image number) usually I set this to 0001 to start.
So it look like this: 20100330_crawfish_0001.  So with the preset all I have to do is enter the custom name.

I started doing it this way after watching the: "Where the #%*! are my Pictures?" I found this video with Michael & Seth very helpful.
Just put it to work with Aperture 3.02. However I do have Lightroom 2.6, but I am starting to like some of the feature in Aperture 3.02.

But anyway this is just my way of doing it and I am sure others may have some other ways.

Stu
Logged
Theodore
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 66



WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
ReplyReply

I do something similar to Stuart.

I moved from LR 1 and 2.x and I've kept a similar separate file system, but I create different Aperture "Libraries" to facilitate the collections of folders in Aperture (i.e. the projects that I see in each Library change so I don't have everything crammed into one Aperture sidebar).  So, I'll have a "Portraits" library and a "Family and Travel" library - I can switch between those quickly under FILE > Switch to Library.  Now, within each of those libraries when I import, I don't simply import to the Aperture Library file, I "Choose" a location and then on my first external Drobo, I go to a folder that's called 2010 Portraits within a master folder called "Aperture Libraries" (or something along those lines).  Within that folder, I'll create a file 2010-4-2-[description] for the files.  I'll have a project of the same name as well.  I put them on Drobo 1 and they backup via Time Machine on Mac to Drobo 2 (each Drobo is designed to be single drive crash proof - if you lose a drive, you just pull it out and put in a new one, or if you start to get full, you just pick a drive, pull it out and put in a higher capacity one - http://www.drobo.com/, I have two of the FW 800 gen 2 models {4 bays each}) but I still backup with another one.  I spent $2600 to get data recovered from a drive last year that I was going to backup (but did not, it was fairly new but they can go at any time) - and doing that once teaches the lesson that it's pennywise and pound foolish to not have a good investment in a redundant drive set up, but I digress a bit.  

So in your case, since these are files in a structured arrangement on your computer, I'd leave them in their current location but I'd be importing them within the Library that I wanted to see them in.  Again, what I mean is the Aperture space I would be in when "importing" would be the library that I'd want to switch to under FILE to see those projects.  So those libraries are something you'd set up before you started importing and then you just make sure that you're in the right one under File (which is also where you create new libraries) and import (while keeping the files in their current location).  Again, the "library" in that sense is just an organizing tool.   Note, if you have "New Project" selected (i.e. just leave it alone) it will create a project on the left side library panel that has the same name as your storage folder.   To make sure it works as expected, I'd have a few folders with only an image or two to test it - import those to make sure that you've got it set up the way you want, and if you don't just delete the projects and "import" again with the fixes.
Logged
mkravit
Guest
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:11:17 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks guys, I am not sure I was clear in what I was asking. And, more probably, I am not quite sure I fully understand the answers.

OK, so here is my system:

I am running a MacPro set up with:
1. 500 GB internal drive for OS & Programs
1. 1TB internal drive for Photography files
1. 1TB internal drive for a Time Machine Photography File backup.

Then, I have a 1000BaseT network with an HP Server that has an HP MSA 12Tb Raid 5 array with 2 hot swap 1TB spares.
The Photography drives is backed up internally by the Time Machine and then backed up to the 12 TB Raid Array by Synchronize.

The entire server is backed up onto tape every evening into a 12 tape carousel. The tapes are archived off site out of our office.

Further, I have three servers all with the same configuration that are then replicated, one is off site. I also have versioning turned on in the server so the last 5 saves of each file  is archived. So backup and disaster recovery is not an issue.

My questions is, even if I create multiple Aperture Libraries, When I select Import, "Folders and Projects" should I select "Store Files in their Current Location" or should I select "In the Aperture Library"?

I tried a test library using drag and drop and since my folders are extremely well organized with the same inherent structure and my file names are well organized the import looked good and usable. However, I am not sure to keep my files where they are or have them in Aperture? Is there an advantage with having them in teh Aperture Library or just referenced and the files where they currently exist.

In either event, I will have the same system backup and archiving structure.
Thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:12:21 PM by mkravit » Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 305


WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mkravit
Thanks guys, I am not sure I was clear in what I was asking. And, more probably, I am not quite sure I fully understand the answers.

OK, so here is my system:

I am running a MacPro set up with:
1. 500 GB internal drive for OS & Programs
1. 1TB internal drive for Photography files
1. 1TB internal drive for a Time Machine Photography File backup.

Then, I have a 1000BaseT network with an HP Server that has an HP MSA 12Tb Raid 5 array with 2 hot swap 1TB spares.
The Photography drives is backed up internally by the Time Machine and then backed up to the 12 TB Raid Array by Synchronize.

The entire server is backed up onto tape every evening into a 12 tape carousel. The tapes are archived off site out of our office.

Further, I have three servers all with the same configuration that are then replicated, one is off site. I also have versioning turned on in the server so the last 5 saves of each file  is archived. So backup and disaster recovery is not an issue.

My questions is, even if I create multiple Aperture Libraries, When I select Import, "Folders and Projects" should I select "Store Files in their Current Location" or should I select "In the Aperture Library"?

I tried a test library using drag and drop and since my folders are extremely well organized with the same inherent structure and my file names are well organized the import looked good and usable. However, I am not sure to keep my files where they are or have them in Aperture? Is there an advantage with having them in teh Aperture Library or just referenced and the files where they currently exist.

In either event, I will have the same system backup and archiving structure.
Thoughts.

Mike, you do have a good backup plan.

I think I now understand what you are wanting to do.
Instate of me stating the pros and cons take a look at this video: http://www.vtc.com/products/AppleAperture2...ingImages/74256
She goes over it in pretty good detail.  Even though this video is with Aperture 2, I think this will help you figure out what you want to do.

Stu
Logged
Theodore
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 66



WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mkravit
Thanks guys, I am not sure I was clear in what I was asking. And, more probably, I am not quite sure I fully understand the answers.

OK, so here is my system:

I am running a MacPro set up with:
1. 500 GB internal drive for OS & Programs
1. 1TB internal drive for Photography files
1. 1TB internal drive for a Time Machine Photography File backup.

Then, I have a 1000BaseT network with an HP Server that has an HP MSA 12Tb Raid 5 array with 2 hot swap 1TB spares.
The Photography drives is backed up internally by the Time Machine and then backed up to the 12 TB Raid Array by Synchronize.

The entire server is backed up onto tape every evening into a 12 tape carousel. The tapes are archived off site out of our office.

Further, I have three servers all with the same configuration that are then replicated, one is off site. I also have versioning turned on in the server so the last 5 saves of each file  is archived. So backup and disaster recovery is not an issue.

My questions is, even if I create multiple Aperture Libraries, When I select Import, "Folders and Projects" should I select "Store Files in their Current Location" or should I select "In the Aperture Library"?

I tried a test library using drag and drop and since my folders are extremely well organized with the same inherent structure and my file names are well organized the import looked good and usable. However, I am not sure to keep my files where they are or have them in Aperture? Is there an advantage with having them in teh Aperture Library or just referenced and the files where they currently exist.

In either event, I will have the same system backup and archiving structure.
Thoughts.

I would keep them where they are if you are happy with the organization and build off that structure going forward.  That's not stored in the Aperture Library as a storage location.  My only point about libraries is that you can use library views to view only certain projects - that's the select library under File part.  So when I select the Family and Travel, I'll see various folders of the photos of kids and travel on the side in my library view in Aperture.  I can change that view under File > Switch to Library to Portraits and just see my portrait session projects.  That's separate and apart from storing files in the Aperture Library or in their current location.  It only matters that when you import the files from a stored location into Aperture, it "Imports" into that "library" that you have selected under "File".  So if I imported portrait photos and stored them in place, but I was in my Family and Travel Library under File, that's the overall library that I would see them in and if I switched File > switch to library > portraits, I wouldn't see them because I'd imported them into the Family and Travel library.  So you create those "libraries" under file, pick the one you want and then when you import, you keep files in place but it allows you to break things up a bit when actually working in Aperture.  As a further example, you might have a "library" under "file" called "weddings" and then when you import from files or import from a CF card, you would chose not to keep them in the Aperture Library file but would create a 2010-4-6 Mitchell Wedding (or whatever your convention is) file on your hard drive.  It's not being stored in the Aperture file for photo files but that 2010-4-6 Mitchelle Wedding will be called up with other projects in your library view when you switch from File > switch to library > portraits to File > switch to library > weddings.  You don't have to do that at all - you can just have one big Aperture "library" but I was just saying that I break things up that way.
Logged
JonRoemer
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:06:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mkravit
My questions is, even if I create multiple Aperture Libraries, When I select Import, "Folders and Projects" should I select "Store Files in their Current Location" or should I select "In the Aperture Library"?

I tried a test library using drag and drop and since my folders are extremely well organized with the same inherent structure and my file names are well organized the import looked good and usable. However, I am not sure to keep my files where they are or have them in Aperture? Is there an advantage with having them in teh Aperture Library or just referenced and the files where they currently exist.

Michael,

The only advantage to having them within Aperture's internal library (managed) is if you want to use Aperture's vault system as a form of backup.

The advantage to keeping them where they are and having Aperture reference them is just that - they stay where they are, the same structure you are used to using and used to backing up.

I'm a long time Aperture user.  I use both ways of maintaining my library.  My personal work is managed, thus in Aperture's internal library.  I do this because my personal work had tended to be somewhat disorganized and this keeps it neat and tidy.

My commercial work is referenced because it lets me keep it in the same folder structure I have used for clients since switching to digital.  I also do the same backup scenario for it that I have always done.

There's no speed advantage/disadvantage to either method.  It's just personal preference.  Are you okay with an iTunes/iPhoto type file structure where your content is under the hood or would you prefer keeping things out in the open?

In the end the decision is not a huge deal because it's not fixed.  If have a managed library it can always be changed to referenced.  If you have a referenced it can always be changed to managed.

Some further advice:
-I'd recommend turning off faces if you are not using it.  It just eats up processing time.
-I'd recommend not having Aperture generate previews automatically.  Again, it eats up processing time.  The only time you need previews are if you are sharing files with other iLife programs or if you are generating slideshow movies.  You can always selectively tell Aperture to create previews for certain projects or certain images.  This is a setting (on/off) in Aperture's preferences.
-if Time Machine has worked for you that's great.  I got tired of it slowing things down every hour so I use SuperDuper to clone my HD instead.  It's not incremental but it has worked fine for me.

Jon
Logged

mkravit
Guest
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: StuartOnline
Mike, you do have a good backup plan.

I think I now understand what you are wanting to do.
Instate of me stating the pros and cons take a look at this video: http://www.vtc.com/products/AppleAperture2...ingImages/74256
She goes over it in pretty good detail.  Even though this video is with Aperture 2, I think this will help you figure out what you want to do.

Stu

Stu,

The movie was excellent. Really addressed the issues and concerns that I have. She fully describes referenced vs managed files. And that is exactly what I am trying to decide. I believe that since I regularly access and edit my images with external programs, utilizing the library as referenced files may be my best option. That way, the edited versions are stored alongside the Raw files and I can access them without exporting from Aperture.

I think that everyones input have really helped.

Thanks
Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 305


WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:11:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mkravit
Stu,

The movie was excellent. Really addressed the issues and concerns that I have. She fully describes referenced vs managed files. And that is exactly what I am trying to decide. I believe that since I regularly access and edit my images with external programs, utilizing the library as referenced files may be my best option. That way, the edited versions are stored alongside the Raw files and I can access them without exporting from Aperture.

I think that everyones input have really helped.

Thanks

Mike,

Glad that video was of some help.  PC Magazine has an article about Aperture 3 (4/6/10) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362338,00.asp
There is a section "Import and Organize" witch explains more on importing which maybe of interest to you.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad