Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Review of New X300 Canon Printers on LL  (Read 9031 times)
John Hollenberg
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 770


« on: April 27, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Scott Martin has just published a review of the new X300 generation of Canon printers (6300/8300) here on Luminous Landscape, including comparisons with equivalent Epson and HP printers:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ters/x300.shtml
Logged
Rob Reiter
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 235



WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
ReplyReply

I've been using my 8300 (8100 for two years prior and Epson 9800/9600 before that) for two weeks now and can definitely echo Scott's results.

Anyone want a good iPF 8100 or Epson 9800?

Quote from: John Hollenberg
Scott Martin has just published a review of the new X300 generation of Canon printers (6300/8300) here on Luminous Landscape, including comparisons with equivalent Epson and HP printers:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ters/x300.shtml
Logged

http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printing for photographers and other artists
Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1911



WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John Hollenberg
Scott Martin has just published a review of the new X300 generation of Canon printers (6300/8300) here on Luminous Landscape, including comparisons with equivalent Epson and HP printers:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ters/x300.shtml

Thanks for this - this was a very informative review and impression of the new Canon.
Logged

mikev1
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 135


« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John Hollenberg
Scott Martin has just published a review of the new X300 generation of Canon printers (6300/8300) here on Luminous Landscape, including comparisons with equivalent Epson and HP printers:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ters/x300.shtml


That pricing at the end iof the article is a typo isn't it?  The 8300 can't be $3500.
Logged
John Hollenberg
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 770


« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:30:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mikev1
That pricing at the end iof the article is a typo isn't it?  The 8300 can't be $3500.

No, it isn't a typo.  Scott's comment: "The street pricing is in that neighborhood yes, with the current promotions/rebates."

as quoted from the Canon iPF Wiki Discussion Forum: http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/23376863

Logged
JeffKohn
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1671



WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:31:07 PM »
ReplyReply

ITSupplies.com has the 8300 listed for $4,999 (have to add to cart to see price). There's a $900 rebate, and if you qualify there's an additional $500 competitive trade-in rebate as well.

Some of these places will give you even better prices over the phone (I got a great deal on my 6300 by calling Shades of Paper).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:31:44 PM by JeffKohn » Logged

narikin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 862


« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:32:25 AM »
ReplyReply

I found it a great and very helpful review.  Many thanks to Scott.

as a long term Epson user, I believe my next upgrade will be to a Canon. The only thing is I wanted a 60" wide printer, and Canon haven't updated that to the new versions as yet.  Hopefully in the next 6 months, or does anyone know better?

Like many photographers I'm a sporadic printer, with long shut downs between sessions. Everyone concurs that the Canons are far better than the Epson's in this regard, with no time wasted on blocked nozzles or whatever - just what I need.  I cant tell you the umber f times I've printed something on expensive paper only to find a micro blocked nozzle has occurred half way through the print, ruining it.

After 10 years it looks like Epson are loosing my business.
Logged
uaiomex
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1008


WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Let's hope so. It is about time for Epson to loose it's fine art printing quasi-monopoly. A technology that wastes so much ink just to keep operative is not viable anymore. Greenpeace and such should take action. On top of that, Epson Mexico is the worst company in the world regarding support to customers.
Eduardo

 
Quote from: narikin
I found it a great and very helpful review.  Many thanks to Scott.

as a long term Epson user, I believe my next upgrade will be to a Canon. The only thing is I wanted a 60" wide printer, and Canon haven't updated that to the new versions as yet.  Hopefully in the next 6 months, or does anyone know better?

Like many photographers I'm a sporadic printer, with long shut downs between sessions. Everyone concurs that the Canons are far better than the Epson's in this regard, with no time wasted on blocked nozzles or whatever - just what I need.  I cant tell you the umber f times I've printed something on expensive paper only to find a micro blocked nozzle has occurred half way through the print, ruining it.

After 10 years it looks like Epson are loosing my business.
Logged
John Hollenberg
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 770


« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: narikin
Like many photographers I'm a sporadic printer, with long shut downs between sessions. Everyone concurs that the Canons are far better than the Epson's in this regard, with no time wasted on blocked nozzles or whatever - just what I need.  I cant tell you the umber f times I've printed something on expensive paper only to find a micro blocked nozzle has occurred half way through the print, ruining it.

Another improvement with the X300 printers is the lower price for the printheads if you do end up needing an out of warranty replacement.  The older generation printheads ran about $600 each.  For the X300 printheads, I see they are listed at $450 each at itsupplies.com
Logged
Ernst Dinkla
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2888


« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:02:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John Hollenberg
Another improvement with the X300 printers is the lower price for the printheads if you do end up needing an out of warranty replacement.  The older generation printheads ran about $600 each.  For the X300 printheads, I see they are listed at $450 each at itsupplies.com

The price of the older head types did become lower too as I understand it, for the iPF9000 it is now 360 Euro versus 500 Euro before. Excl Vat.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged
ednazarko
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 31


« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I just got my Canon 8300 a few weeks ago, and after going through the setup process and calibration processes, have made a few prints of various sizes on different papers.  I have to say, I'm very impressed with the image quality, the gamut, and the speed.  I am a long time Epson user, including having been sponsored by them for color management and printing workshops, but I finally tired of dealing with the two issues that made me crazy - clogs, and on the newer printers the need to blow out one black ink to be able to use another.  Both seemed to me to be things that were rooted in assumptions about printer users that didn't match up with my reality - I don't print high volumes all the time (and I know that if I did the clog problem wouldn't be so bad) and I do print on multiple paper types.

The only thing that I'm not terribly happy about (other than the Canon site's inability to reliably push the PDF user manual to me first try...I always get hangs in the download that force me to have to kill the download and start over and over again) is the cut sheet paper handling.  It seems to me that it really requires more than two hands, and I'm only equipped with two...
Logged
shewhorn
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 540


WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: JeffKohn
ITSupplies.com has the 8300 listed for $4,999 (have to add to cart to see price). There's a $900 rebate, and if you qualify there's an additional $500 competitive trade-in rebate as well.

Some of these places will give you even better prices over the phone (I got a great deal on my 6300 by calling Shades of Paper).

Ditto Shades of Paper. I've been dealing with Jason Adams for the past few years and bought both my 6100 and 8300 from him. Very happy.

Cheers, Joe
Logged
bradleygibson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 829


WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:16:30 AM »
ReplyReply

For those who have the 8300, any comments on Black & White printing, particularly neutrality of black & white prints?

I'm also interested to hear your thoughts on the quality of B&W vs. Epsons -- I've found that the Epsons needed a RIP (I've used ImagePrint) to deliver no-compromise work.  For me, ImagePrint represents a clunky workflow, particularly with the rise of Lightroom--it would be nice to be rid of it.

Speaking of printing utilities, I assume Canon's print utility is only available through Photoshop, and not through LR?

Thanks,
-Brad
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:17:06 AM by bradleygibson » Logged

Scott Martin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1312


WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: bradleygibson
For those who have the 8300, any comments on Black & White printing, particularly neutrality of black & white prints?
Canon's black ink neutrality, combined with scratch resistance and lower gloss differential, would make it my current choice for B&W work. All three brands make great B&W prints but when you see side-by-side comparisons of the same image on the same paper the differences are interesting and relevant for "no compromise" users. However, there is a part of me that likes HP's driver based tri-toning (with separate hue control for the highlights, midtones and shadows) in their black and white mode.

Quote from: bradleygibson
Speaking of printing utilities, I assume Canon's print utility is only available through Photoshop, and not through LR?
Yes, the Print plug-in is only available for Photoshop and DPP. Lightroom and all other apps use the regular driver. As much as I love the plug-in, LR's print sharpening and parametric printing workflow are big reasons to print from LR over PS. I try to encourage my clients to print in LR these days even if it requires a round trip back from PS. For many people, now is the time to kick old habits, reconsider how we do things and really embrace parametric workflow procedures.
Logged

Deepsouth
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 81


« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Onsight
Canon's black ink neutrality, combined with scratch resistance and lower gloss differential, would make it my current choice for B&W work. All three brands make great B&W prints but when you see side-by-side comparisons of the same image on the same paper the differences are interesting and relevant for "no compromise" users. However, there is a part of me that likes HP's driver based tri-toning (with separate hue control for the highlights, midtones and shadows) in their black and white mode.


Yes, the Print plug-in is only available for Photoshop and DPP. Lightroom and all other apps use the regular driver. As much as I love the plug-in, LR's print sharpening and parametric printing workflow are big reasons to print from LR over PS. I try to encourage my clients to print in LR these days even if it requires a round trip back from PS. For many people, now is the time to kick old habits, reconsider how we do things and really embrace parametric workflow procedures.


Hey Scott,
thanks for a most informative review. Do you have any notion if/when Canon will extend these improvements to a 17 inch machine? foolish thought...or to a 13 inch?
Logged
John Hollenberg
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 770


« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Onsight
Canon's black ink neutrality, combined with scratch resistance and lower gloss differential, would make it my current choice for B&W work. All three brands make great B&W prints but when you see side-by-side comparisons of the same image on the same paper the differences are interesting and relevant for "no compromise" users.

Are the black inks neutrality different from the iPF6100 generation?
Logged
deanwork
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 739


« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I agee. Shades Of Paper has been following the Canon series since the beginning and  do lots of demos with them at their facility as well as on location. If you are in the US and are considering one of the Canons, I would talk to them first. They study and sell of the the brands of printers and media. And, they are very honest people to deal with.

john
Logged
Scott Martin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1312


WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Deepsouth
Hey Scott, thanks for a most informative review. Do you have any notion if/when Canon will extend these improvements to a 17 inch machine? foolish thought...or to a 13 inch?
I don't know of any plans for a 17" or 60" refresh.
Logged

deanwork
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 739


« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Well the very inexpensive well thought out QTR software is SO much superior for  a  comprehensive black and white workflow to the Epson ABW situation. Unfortunately, it appears that Epson has made it impossible for Roy Harrington to continue to offer QTR support to the recent Epson units. That's just plain stupid if it is true.  Just mind boggling if that is what their game is. That won't help Epson, it will just move their customers to Canon and Hp. Even with old inferior K2 printers, QTR rocked big time, and made monochrome feasible and it really finessed K3. They should have given Harrington a medal of honor ....instead they ignored him. He did it right. And they were playing a  game of catch up.

j




Quote from: bradleygibson
For those who have the 8300, any comments on Black & White printing, particularly neutrality of black & white prints?

I'm also interested to hear your thoughts on the quality of B&W vs. Epsons -- I've found that the Epsons needed a RIP (I've used ImagePrint) to deliver no-compromise work.  For me, ImagePrint represents a clunky workflow, particularly with the rise of Lightroom--it would be nice to be rid of it.

Speaking of printing utilities, I assume Canon's print utility is only available through Photoshop, and not through LR?

Thanks,
-Brad
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:07:25 PM by deanwork » Logged
JeffKohn
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1671



WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »
ReplyReply

What's happened with recent Epsons to make support impossible in QTR? I took a quick look through the QTR group and didn't see any discussion of this.

Logged

Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad