Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Perry Sandhills Part Two - The next morning  (Read 3046 times)
Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:18 AM »
ReplyReply

'Footprints on Mars'
This is a follow up to my previous image from Perry Sandhills Here - this one was taken the following morning, just before sunrise. In many ways I prefer it to the other for the streaking clouds and sweep of the dunes.

Full story on my Blog including write up of how I made this photograph - comments and thoughts  welcome as always - oh, and this time in a larger size.
[attachment=22337:_74X3747_Edit2010.jpg]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:08:09 AM by Josh-H » Logged

seamus finn
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 784


« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:22:53 AM »
ReplyReply



Best of the lot I think - a beauty. And an instructive back story too.
Logged

tokengirl
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 360



« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »
ReplyReply

The colors are absolutely delicious.
Logged
fredjeang
Guest
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tokengirl
The colors are absolutely delicious.
Indeed!
Logged
EduPerez
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 690


WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:04:20 AM »
ReplyReply

I like it, a lot.
Logged

jasonrandolph
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 554


WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
ReplyReply

I really like your composition.  Excellent use of lines.  While some may find the footprints distracting, I like them, as they lead eyes on a path through the image.  Nicely done.
Logged

jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I actually prefer this one Josh. The colour is wonderful, but it think the structure of the image and the sensitivity it portrays is quite beautiful.

There is a fluidity in the movement created by the shapes - which is subtle, and simple, but very powerful at the same time. For me the image seems to illicit the feeling that the sand hills are surging softly - up and back, suggested as the lines from the ripples go upward, than meet the lightness of the sky, and then retreat backwards.

Beautfiul.

Julie
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 7789



WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jule
I actually prefer this one Josh. The colour is wonderful, but it think the structure of the image and the sensitivity it portrays is quite beautiful.

There is a fluidity in the movement created by the shapes - which is subtle, and simple, but very powerful at the same time. For me the image seems to illicit the feeling that the sand hills are surging softly - up and back, suggested as the lines from the ripples go upward, than meet the lightness of the sky, and then retreat backwards.

Beautfiul.

Julie

Ditto to what Julie said. 


And I like the footprints here.

Eric

Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
John R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1022


« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:26:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Although I like this version, I find the footprints somewhat disturbing and not inkeeping with the natural look that this image appears to be about. If the footprints were clear or more delineated then we would have a different take on this landscape. I think it is the continued repetition of patterns from the rifts of sand to the layered clouds that makes this image work.

JMR
Logged
jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 03:54:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John R
Although I like this version, I find the footprints somewhat disturbing and not inkeeping with the natural look that this image appears to be about. If the footprints were clear or more delineated then we would have a different take on this landscape. I think it is the continued repetition of patterns from the rifts of sand to the layered clouds that makes this image work.

JMR
I quite like that fact that there is evidence of footprints...but not so much that they form too much of a structural element to the composition. This coupled with the surging feeling I get (explained in my above post) suggests to me that nature is a far greater power than us.

Julie
Logged

Ed Blagden
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 491



WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 05:11:41 AM »
ReplyReply

An absolute beaut, footprints and all - what makes it work for me is the strong contrast between the blue clouds and the orange sand, and the texture in the foreground.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:12:16 AM by Ed Blagden » Logged

Visit my Flickr page
Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
ReplyReply

I have up a third and final shot from this shoot at Perry Sandhills on my Blog
Logged

NeilOwen
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 4


WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 03:14:07 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Josh, It's a very powerful yet subtle image you have here; the power in it is obviously the expanse of the dunes and you've got the comoposition of these just right (footsteps and all), but the subtelty comes from the way the ripples in the dunes are mirrored by the ripples in the brooding post-storm sky in the upper right of the frame. I find my eye drawn right into this image and the final bonus is the second dune in the background adding a counterpoint to the main body. Lovely colours and a very nice image!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:14:30 AM by NeilOwen » Logged
Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: NeilOwen
Hi Josh, It's a very powerful yet subtle image you have here; the power in it is obviously the expanse of the dunes and you've got the comoposition of these just right (footsteps and all), but the subtelty comes from the way the ripples in the dunes are mirrored by the ripples in the brooding post-storm sky in the upper right of the frame. I find my eye drawn right into this image and the final bonus is the second dune in the background adding a counterpoint to the main body. Lovely colours and a very nice image!

Thank you for the very kind feedback. I have actually put together a short video on the RAW processing of this image on my Blog HERE as I had a few emails asking me how I went about processing the shot.
Logged

OnyimBob
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 279


WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 12:49:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Josh-H
Thank you for the very kind feedback. I have actually put together a short video on the RAW processing of this image on my Blog HERE as I had a few emails asking me how I went about processing the shot.
The video downloaded as an htm file Josh. Can't do anything with it???
Logged

Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 01:49:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: OnyimBob
The video downloaded as an htm file Josh. Can't do anything with it???

hmmm.. are you on a mac or a pc?
Logged

OnyimBob
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 279


WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 02:24:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Josh-H
hmmm.. are you on a mac or a pc?
pc
Logged

Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 04:29:50 AM »
ReplyReply

hrm.. not sure what is causing that - I have tried it myself on 2 macs and a pc without issue. The file downloads as a .mp4
Logged

OnyimBob
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 279


WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Josh-H
hrm.. not sure what is causing that - I have tried it myself on 2 macs and a pc without issue. The file downloads as a .mp4
Got it finally - the "save link as" didn't work but "open link in new tab" did?!
Anyway, it's always interesting to see the way someone else works, and the result is, of course, a great image.
Cheers, Bob.
PS Thank you Josh for pointing me to Nick Brandt's show in a post here.
BTW did I see a photographer's studio around the corner from the gallery that had your former business name?
Logged

Ed Blagden
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 491



WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 12:40:29 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Josh-H
Thank you for the very kind feedback. I have actually put together a short video on the RAW processing of this image on my Blog HERE as I had a few emails asking me how I went about processing the shot.
Great video, Josh.  Sharpening in "before and after" view looks like a great tip, I'll try it out.
Logged

Visit my Flickr page
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad