Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: L-L Guide to Capture One 5 Pro  (Read 23409 times)
Chris Sanderson
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1910



« on: June 13, 2010, 10:58:03 PM »
ReplyReply

I have posted the Luminous Landscape Guide to Capture One 5 Pro in the store's Specials section

It is currently missing a few files which will be added over the course of the next week. Some of the Table of Contents and descriptions may be inaccurate for the next day or two...

I have priced it at 10% off the full price until it is complete.

The 5.1 Update video (File 25) will go up within 24 hours.

Chris
Logged

Christopher Sanderson
The Luminous-Landscape
Ralph Eisenberg
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 82


« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:39:52 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Chris Sanderson
I have posted the Luminous Landscape Guide to Capture One 5 Pro in the store's Specials section

It is currently missing a few files which will be added over the course of the next week. Some of the Table of Contents and descriptions may be inaccurate for the next day or two...

I have priced it at 10% off the full price until it is complete.

The 5.1 Update video (File 25) will go up within 24 hours.

Chris

Good news. As you observed, several files are not listed or up yet. As a long term user of CO Pro (since v1 on the Mac), I'm definitely looking forward to viewing the tutorial.
Logged

Ralph
Chris Sanderson
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1910



« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »
ReplyReply

All files are now up except for the final short file about Walter Borchenko's Capture-U

Chris
Logged

Christopher Sanderson
The Luminous-Landscape
James R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 260


« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I just purchased the video and watched the first few chapters.  After years, you tend to develop your own workflow, which might not use some good features of C1.  So, its worth the 44 bucks.
Logged
Ralph Eisenberg
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 82


« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:17:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Chris Sanderson
All files are now up except for the final short file about Walter Borchenko's Capture-U

Chris

From what I have seen so far, these are very instructive, informative and helpful tutorials from which I've learned a great deal. I'm sure that I'll be using the program more effectively from now on. However, I've been encountering problems with file # 25, which may require your attention, as it doesn't appear to open properly (on the Mac).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:38:41 AM by Ralph Eisenberg » Logged

Ralph
James R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 260


« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Ralph Eisenberg
From what I have seen so far, these are very instructive, informative and helpful tutorials from which I've learned a great deal. I'm sure that I'll be using the program more effectively from now on. However, I've been encountering problems with file # 25, which may require your attention, as it doesn't appear to open properly (on the Mac).

I'm unable to download 23, 24, and 25 (Mac).  I'll try 23 and 24 again.
Logged
Chris Sanderson
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1910



« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
ReplyReply

File 25 appears to be corrupt - it has been removed

It actually needed to be changed in any event since there are now only 24 videos not 25.

The 5.1 revision video will be in File 24. The Table of Contents will be revised. Files 25 & 26 will then remain placeholders for possible future videos.

Apologies for this. All the corrections should be made by midnight EST. The product will be made 'live' in its own section of the store tomorrow - Wednesday, June 16

Chris
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:25:53 AM by Chris Sanderson » Logged

Christopher Sanderson
The Luminous-Landscape
Ralph Eisenberg
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 82


« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »
ReplyReply


Thanks.

This is a very edifying and, I'm afraid to say, entertaining series. Of course, that there is no coupon along with the tutorials for a Phase back and some Schneider lenses comes as a bit of a disappointment.
Logged

Ralph
James R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 260


« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Ralph Eisenberg
Thanks.

This is a very edifying and, I'm afraid to say, entertaining series. Of course, that there is no coupon along with the tutorials for a Phase back and some Schneider lenses comes as a bit of a disappointment.

Yeah, like 40% off!
Logged
hcubell
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 730


WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:32:57 PM »
ReplyReply

I bought the Capture One Tutorial and hope it covers a workflow that "ignores" the use of Sessions. I want the program to work the way I like to work in terms of file downloading to my desktop, importing, and file organization, rather than being forced to follow a workflow using Sessions that I can't (and don't want to) get my head around.
Logged

Morris Taub
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 370



WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 07:33:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote
Ralph Eisenberg @ Jun 15 2010, 08:39 AM) *
Thanks.

This is a very edifying and, I'm afraid to say, entertaining series. Of course, that there is no coupon along with the tutorials for a Phase back and some Schneider lenses comes as a bit of a disappointment.


Quote from: James R
Yeah, like 40% off!

40% would be good
Logged

Jack Flesher
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2595



WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:34 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: hcubell
I bought the Capture One Tutorial and hope it covers a workflow that "ignores" the use of Sessions. I want the program to work the way I like to work in terms of file downloading to my desktop, importing, and file organization, rather than being forced to follow a workflow using Sessions that I can't (and don't want to) get my head around.

You can ignore sessions by simply ignoring them. (But then you lose a huge amount of the programs file management flexibility...)  Simply use the browser to browse any existing folder of images on your system, regardless of how it was created, and process directly from that. Note when you first browse to said folder, C1 may need a few seconds to build and load it's previews. You should then select a desired output folder similarly, wherever you want it to be.

The only minor pitfall for someone as voraciously against sessions as you seem to be, is that C1 will open in it's default session because that's how it works.  Here, if you do NOT manually choose your desired output folder, it will automatically use the default session's output folder, which is the CaptureOne/Output subfolder inside your /system/User/Pictures folder...

Cheers,
Logged

deejjjaaaa
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 965



« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Here, if you do NOT manually choose your desired output folder, it will automatically use the default session's output folder, which is the CaptureOne/Output subfolder inside your /system/User/Pictures folder...

or for example in "Process Recipe" -> Root Folder = "Image folder"
Logged
tho_mas
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1696


« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 05:24:13 PM »
ReplyReply

I've purchased the video and watched it yesterday.
It's a great introduction to the tools and capabilities of Capture One and it's nice to learn something about the background of the tools!

I am finding two points a bit misleading:

1. is smart saturation in the basic color editor
This is certainly a very helpful feature as it helps to avoid color clipping.
However in the workflow outlined in the video - working with camera profiles as working space (that's what I do as well) - you have to think about this.
An increase of saturation in the basic Color Editor shrinks the camera profile, i.e. smart saturation physically compresses the input profile (unlike an increase of saturation in the advanced Color Editor).
So if we talk about the limitations of AdobeRGB (or so) with regard to print this is at least worth a note.
See here -
wireframe: original camera profile
white (inner): the camera profile after an increase of global saturation (+30) in the basic Color Editor
colored (outer): the camera profile after an increase of global saturation (+30) in the advanced Color Editor
[attachment=22640:ColorThink_Graph.jpg]

2. is color preferences
The setting of the rendering intend only comes into play when the target profile (or the monitor profile) is table based (typically printer profiles).
If the target color space (set as recipe in the output tab) is matrix based (such as AdobeRGB, sRGB, ProPhoto etc.) the only possible rendering intend is relative colormetric anyway.
(see: http://tinyurl.com/3x5z7or )
Too, if you use the camera profile as working space the setting is almost meaningless.
However the setting also affects the translation to the monitor profile (again: only if the monitor profile is table based) … but I think for the translation to the monitor profile any other setting other than relative colormetric doesn't make any sense.
Bottom line: default should be relative colormetric IMO but you may switch to perceptual when you are working with a printer profile set as output- or proof profile in C1.
This is BTW why I'd highly welcome a switchable CMM in C1 so that we can utilize AdobeCMM (AFAIK in Adobe applications the color conversion to the monitor profile is always rel. colormetric… independ of your customized color settings. Too, - and maybe more important - we C1 users could utilize the same BPC that ACE uses in Photoshop).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:32:42 PM by tho_mas » Logged
K.C.
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 653


« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm glad to read some positive reviews. The example with Michael nodding and saying ' ah ha' few times isn't too impressive.
Logged
tho_mas
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1696


« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: K.C.
I'm glad to read some positive reviews. The example with Michael nodding and saying ' ah ha' few times isn't too impressive.
Well, honestly I was expecting some more in depth discoussion of workflow options and especially the interaction of tools/adjustments (like the example of the interaction of inverse color edits and global saturation in one of the last chapters… which I found very good).

However it depends how experienced you are with C1.
If you are new to C1 this video is mandatory.
If you are a long time C1 user but only use the default workspace and only the basic features the video is also highly recommended.
Although you will only learn about the potential of customizable tools and such… not how to customize them for a certain workflow.
If you are very experienced and already have figured out your own way through the software it's possibly just a nice, entertaining thing to look through.
All in all I'd say it's quite balanced to adress beginners as well as to some extend advanced users.
Logged
Chris Sanderson
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1910



« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Many thanks for your comments. The Capture-U offer made at the end is specifically for those who need to delve further into C1 than those 5 1/2 hours allowed us.

Chris
Logged

Christopher Sanderson
The Luminous-Landscape
michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4893



« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for your polite follow-up Chris.

Next time we'll do the 10 hour version, take an additional 6 months to edit it, and charge $150. Six or even eight people might buy it, but by then Phase will probably be shipping a version that's two increments further on.

Sigh,

Michael
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:13:20 PM by michael » Logged
James R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 260


« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 02:51:31 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: hcubell
I bought the Capture One Tutorial and hope it covers a workflow that "ignores" the use of Sessions. I want the program to work the way I like to work in terms of file downloading to my desktop, importing, and file organization, rather than being forced to follow a workflow using Sessions that I can't (and don't want to) get my head around.

I felt about "Sessions" much like you.  However, I recently gave in and tried using their process and it works great.  BTW, you decide where the Capture Folder is located if you don't like C1's default location.  The video covers Sessions in #2 or 3.  You should give it a try, you might like it.
Logged
James R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 260


« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:56 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michael
Thanks for your polite follow-up Chris.

Next time we'll do the 10 hour version, take an additional 6 months to edit it, and charge $150. Six or even eight people might buy it, but by then Phase will probably be shipping a version that's two increments further on.

Sigh,

Michael

Michael,

I was self-taught on C1 and now realize I wasn't using the program very efficiently.  Walter did a great job explaining the program and gave a lot of time saving tips.  The forty-four bucks is drop in the buck if it saves you time and improves the output file.  

C1 has been long neglected in the area of training.   You guys did a great job.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad