Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Has anyone ever cleaned or lubricated a noisy power supply fan in a Z3100?  (Read 1649 times)
Shutterbug2006

« on: June 14, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
ReplyReply

My Z3100 44" started making noises today, a familiar sound of a dirty fan you might expect to hear in a computer case.

I have a copy of the 300+ page service manual - it's a bit of a daunting task to open up the printer, I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it permanently.

I temporarily solved the problem by tapping on the power supply box and the fan stopped making the wrrrr wrrrr wrrrr vacuum-cleaner sound, thankfully, because it was pretty loud and annoying.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Shutterbug2006
My Z3100 44" started making noises today, a familiar sound of a dirty fan you might expect to hear in a computer case.

I have a copy of the 300+ page service manual - it's a bit of a daunting task to open up the printer, I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it permanently.

I temporarily solved the problem by tapping on the power supply box and the fan stopped making the wrrrr wrrrr wrrrr vacuum-cleaner sound, thankfully, because it was pretty loud and annoying.

I had the same thing happen about a year ago. Called HP, and they said to call back if it continued to be a problem. The noise went away, and I have had not further problems.

John Nollendorfs
dandeliondigital

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
ReplyReply

John,
Calling and then having the problem go away. WOW! That sounds too good to be true. Do you think HP had anything to do with it? As a HPZ3100ps user, I hope I can have that happen for me sometime.

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: John Nollendorfs
I had the same thing happen about a year ago. Called HP, and they said to call back if it continued to be a problem. The noise went away, and I have had not further problems.

John Nollendorfs

www.dandeliondigital.com posters and prints
John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Yep, I thought it was too good to be true also. I figured I'ld get the service guy out, and he would replace the service area--getting pretty grundgy by now, but no such luck. I just periodically get in there with paper towels in wipe things out!

2 1/2 years and still printing like a champ! Only changed one print head so far. But lots of ink carts! ;-)

John Nollendorfs

Quote from: dandeliondigital
John,
Calling and then having the problem go away. WOW! That sounds too good to be true. Do you think HP had anything to do with it? As a HPZ3100ps user, I hope I can have that happen for me sometime.

So long for now, TOM
Shutterbug2006

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
ReplyReply

I forgot to come back and update the thread after disassembling the printer and fixing the problem. It wasn't particularly difficult - the printer had to be disassembled enough to gain access to the power supply module.

I opened the power supply, removed the fan, removed the sticker from the back of the fan and removed a rubber plug in the center. You can see the spindle inside at this point. I filled it with lubricant and sealed it all back up again and reassembled the printer and the problem was solved until today, when the noise returned. So I got a couple of years out of it and have to go through the whole process again.

Rrrrrr Rrrrrrr Whirrrrr It sounds like a vacuum cleaner at times.

So I guess it's time to dis-assemble the printer again and lubricate the fan again.

It's been a great printer other than this particular problem.
howardm

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
ReplyReply

why don't you just purchase/replace the fan w/ a new one?  Once the bearing/bushing/sleeve is shot, it's shot.
fnl401

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:58:44 AM »
ReplyReply

It happened on my Z3200. My IT guy took the whole printer apart, striped out the old fan, put in new (fan costs 10) and problem solved.
It does seem that the power supply is deep inside and there were parts everywhere for a day, but including his labour much cheaper than the HP option which is a new power supply.
I used to leave it running 24/7 to ensure self cleaning so maybe the fan isnt up to that much use.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad