Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Photoshop CS5 and video RAM  (Read 2373 times)
walter.sk

« on: July 03, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm currently using a pair of nVidia 512Mb cards (Geforce 9800GT) in "SLI" mode, which supposedly runs them in parallel for better gaming performance.  I no longer use my computer for games, basically using it for picture editing in Phosotshop CS5.  The machine is a quad-core Windows 7-64 bit machine with 8Gb of RAM.

I need to remove one of the video cards in able to install a USB 3.0 adapter to run my external drives faster.  The question I have is whether 1Gb of video RAM would make an appreciable difference in the way PS CS5 would run, and in what way?  I have the choice of just using the 1 video card, or replacing it with one with greater memory, but do not want to spend for another video card unless the difference would be worth it.
PeterAit

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: walter.sk
I'm currently using a pair of nVidia 512Mb cards (Geforce 9800GT) in "SLI" mode, which supposedly runs them in parallel for better gaming performance.  I no longer use my computer for games, basically using it for picture editing in Phosotshop CS5.  The machine is a quad-core Windows 7-64 bit machine with 8Gb of RAM.

I need to remove one of the video cards in able to install a USB 3.0 adapter to run my external drives faster.  The question I have is whether 1Gb of video RAM would make an appreciable difference in the way PS CS5 would run, and in what way?  I have the choice of just using the 1 video card, or replacing it with one with greater memory, but do not want to spend for another video card unless the difference would be worth it.

I think you'll be fine with 1 video card. Lots of video ram makes a difference for animation and 3-D rendering but PS really puts very few demands on a video card. It is good to have Open-GL, though.

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: PeterAit
I think you'll be fine with 1 video card. Lots of video ram makes a difference for animation and 3-D rendering but PS really puts very few demands on a video card. It is good to have Open-GL, though.
I believe my current card has Open GL.  Photoshop CS5 allows me the choice of hardware acceleration, which I think depends on Open GL.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad