Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Epson 9900 ink expiration  (Read 2959 times)
zachary_goulko
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 90


« on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:06 AM »
ReplyReply

I just picked a full set of 700ml cartridges on eBay for my 9900.
The guy had listed expiration dates of 12/2011 but most of them actually expire 02/2011.
We will not use up 700ml of ink within 6 months, so I'm concerned abut keeping these.
I called Epson tech support, and they told me that they have people using inks with expiration dates from 2004 on their 7600 printers without any problems, but that sounds hard to believe.
Has anyone had actual experience with expired 900 series inks?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:55:15 AM by zachary_goulko » Logged

-----------------
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com
natas
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 256


« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: zachary_goulko
I just picked a full set of 700ml cartridges on eBay for my 9900.
The guy had listed expiration dates of 12/2011 but most of them actually expire 02/2011.
We will not use up 700ml of ink within 6 months, so I'm concerned abut keeping these.
I called Epson tech support, and they told me that they have people using inks with expiration dates from 2004 on their 7600 printers without any problems, but that sounds hard to believe.
Has anyone had actual experience with expired 900 series inks?

I have no idea how much different the ink from the x900 series is, but I had a Epson 4800 for years and used one set of inks that were more than one year old and saw no visual different. I often heard that the colors would shift after a while. If you have your own printer calibration just do a new calibration every 3 months
Logged
zachary_goulko
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 90


« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: natas
I have no idea how much different the ink from the x900 series is, but I had a Epson 4800 for years and used one set of inks that were more than one year old and saw no visual different. I often heard that the colors would shift after a while. If you have your own printer calibration just do a new calibration every 3 months

I'm not concerned with slight color shift, since I reprofile every new roll of paper.
We have an Epson 4800 as well, and had some bad clogging problems with several cartridges that were 6 months expired. Even after numerous shaking, power cleaning, and moistening the rainbow pad.
Once the cartridges were replaced, the problem went away.
This is what I'm concerned about.
Logged

-----------------
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2808



WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »
ReplyReply

you may want to pull them out and agitate them gently (I turn the upside down when I do this) every few months.  The expiration date is sort of  "sell by" date, and they claim you should use them within 6 months of installing them, but I have some in my 11880 that are well over a year old with no ill effects.
Logged

zachary_goulko
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 90


« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Wayne Fox
you may want to pull them out and agitate them gently (I turn the upside down when I do this) every few months.  The expiration date is sort of  "sell by" date, and they claim you should use them within 6 months of installing them, but I have some in my 11880 that are well over a year old with no ill effects.

Ok thanks,
They're not expired yet, but just wanted to hear other people's experience.
The 11880 has the same inkset as the 900 series if I'm not mistaken, correct?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:50:13 PM by zachary_goulko » Logged

-----------------
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com
Farmer
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1627


WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: zachary_goulko
Ok thanks,
They're not expired yet, but just wanted to hear other people's experience.
The 11880 has the same inkset as the 900 series if I'm not mistaken, correct?

Not quite.

11880 uses Epson Ultrachrome K3 with Vivid Magenta.  You get C M Y pK mK lK llK lC lM.

The 900 series uses Epson Ultrachrome HDR.  You get C M Y pK mK lK llK lC lM O G.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:27:22 PM by Farmer » Logged

zachary_goulko
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 90


« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 08:45:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Farmer
Not quite.

11880 uses Epson Ultrachrome K3 with Vivid Magenta.  You get C M Y pK mK lK llK lC lM.

The 900 series uses Epson Ultrachrome HDR.  You get C M Y pK mK lK llK lC lM O G.

Oh ok,
I thought they introduced the orange and green in the 11880.
Logged

-----------------
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com
DeanChriss
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 268


WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 02:28:07 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: zachary_goulko
I just picked a full set of 700ml cartridges on eBay for my 9900.
The guy had listed expiration dates of 12/2011 but most of them actually expire 02/2011.
We will not use up 700ml of ink within 6 months, so I'm concerned abut keeping these.
I called Epson tech support, and they told me that they have people using inks with expiration dates from 2004 on their 7600 printers without any problems, but that sounds hard to believe.
Has anyone had actual experience with expired 900 series inks?
I had a couple inks installed in a 7900 for well over a year. I agitated them every 3 months (give or take) and had no problems at all.
Logged

- Dean
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad