Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Storm images (v3)  (Read 1273 times)
mitchdob

« on: August 01, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Back from a trip (2 weeks ago) to the Northern Plains shooting storms.
I added 10 new images to my website from the shoot on:

http://www.mitchdobrowner.com

... go to 'Storms" link. Its an on-going project. 10 of the first 11 images under that link were shot during this trip. I attached one of the images as an example for the work. As always, the feedback from this forum has been a great help to me. Your (honest) feedback is really be appreciated, especially if I need to edit the group down some. Thanks!! - Mitch
Chairman Bill

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Some stunning images there, Mitch
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
ReplyReply

There you go again, Mitch; another magnificent series!      

You know I'm a fan, but since you asked for it, I went through the "Storms" portfolio with some care to see if any of them were not as strong as the best of them. So here are two that I might consider cutting if they were mine:

Number 3: "Funnel - Cornfield" feels a little weaker than most of the others, perhaps because the funnel is fairly small (In many others, raw power surges through most of the image).

Numbers 8 ("Arcus Cloud") and 9 ("Amoeba") are two similar visually for my taste, even though they were taken many miles apart. I would keep "Arcus Cloud" and cut "Amoeba."

Initially I also felt that number 6 ("Ship - Trees") and number 14 ("Rotating Storm") might be omitted, but on second look, I liked them better.

My current favorites in this group (as of today - no guarantees about tomorrow   ) include: Numbers 5 ("Storm Cell"), 12 ("Farm"), 16 ("Arm of God"), 20 ("Vapor Cloud"), and 28 ("Supercell").

These are really scary just to look at. I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be in the presence of such storms.

Cheers,

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
francois

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:05:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Absolutely fantastic images, I agree with Eric.
I can't decide on a favorite image… Funnel-Cornfield, Storm Cell and Amoeba are on top of my list. I found this new "collection" a tad less oppressing than the former storm images (not in a bad sense) but they still inspire respect/fear.

Bravo again!

Francois
tokengirl

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Wow.  I bet these are really breathtaking when printed LARGE.
wolfnowl

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Some amazing work, Mitch.  If I had to pick a favourite it would be difficult to say the least, but I think I'd go with #13.  Maybe because it's my lucky number.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:10:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Amazing, as usual, Mitch.  Please consider writing an article for LuLa on your experiences making these photographs.  They are absolutely inspiring.

My favourites from the current series are "Mushroom Cloud" and "Farm".  I particularly love the farm one for the lovely transparency of the distant precipitation and the scale of the landscape that's made evident by the buildings.
shutterpup

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: wolfnowl
Some amazing work, Mitch.  If I had to pick a favourite it would be difficult to say the least, but I think I'd go with #13.  Maybe because it's my lucky number.

Mike.

I'm with Mike on this one. #13 is my favorite followed by "Vapor Cloud" #20.
mitchdob

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Some of the comments are on images liked that I was questioning (in my mind).... so the feedback is a real help to me for those.

Regarding writing something - just not really my thing. But keep an eye out for the show Nightline (ABC News). They traveled with us for a week+ and documented some of the craziness. adventures. I'm not sure the exact when it's suppose to air - but was told one day this week.

Thanks again for all the comments and help. It's truly appreciated. - Mitch
jasonrandolph

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 04:25:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mitchdob
Some of the comments are on images liked that I was questioning (in my mind).... so the feedback is a real help to me for those.

Regarding writing something - just not really my thing. But keep an eye out for the show Nightline (ABC News). They traveled with us for a week+ and documented some of the craziness. adventures. I'm not sure the exact when it's suppose to air - but was told one day this week.

Thanks again for all the comments and help. It's truly appreciated. - Mitch

I imagine you endured some rough weather to get these images, but I'm sure it was worth it.  Stunning work.  I can almost feel the wind blowing against my face.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad