Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Website and gallery feedback  (Read 1893 times)
frugal
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 73


WWW
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I recently launched my photo website, http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/, and would really be interested in getting feedback on the general site layout/feel/design/etc.

Aside from that, I've also added a gallery from my recent trip to Newfoundland and would be interested in specific feedback on this collection of shots as it's my most recent work online.

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Logged
EduPerez
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 694


WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:57:15 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: frugal
Hi,

I recently launched my photo website, http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/, and would really be interested in getting feedback on the general site layout/feel/design/etc.

Aside from that, I've also added a gallery from my recent trip to Newfoundland and would be interested in specific feedback on this collection of shots as it's my most recent work online.

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I liked the place; it is fast to load, clean to the view, and easy to navigate.

The only thing I would change (IMHO), are those "Share this" icons: they look good on a blog post, but I do not think they belong on every page.
Logged

frugal
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 73


WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:00:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EduPerez
The only thing I would change (IMHO), are those "Share this" icons: they look good on a blog post, but I do not think they belong on every page.

Thanks for this piece of feedback. I'd just added them to the other pages and was debating if they fit in or not (I was leaning toward no myself).
Logged
ivokwee
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 35



WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »
ReplyReply

-Leave out the dash between your name and Photography, the color seperates sufficiently
-leave out your name after "Halifax based photographer"
-I have no idea what HPO means, I guess 99% others neither. Rename.
-Reduce your picture to only the best. Too much repetition of similar pictures.
-love the overall design, simple and clean
-write about from first perspective, more personal.

Best. Ivo
Logged
frugal
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 73


WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:59:35 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: ivokwee
-Leave out the dash between your name and Photography, the color seperates sufficiently
-leave out your name after "Halifax based photographer"
-I have no idea what HPO means, I guess 99% others neither. Rename.
-Reduce your picture to only the best. Too much repetition of similar pictures.
-love the overall design, simple and clean
-write about from first perspective, more personal.

Best. Ivo

Thanks, took the advice on the tag line and also fixed the HPO thing. It was explained on the page for the shoots but I'm discovering that people don't tend to navigate to the parent pages when the child pages are in the menu already (nothing wrong with that) which means most people miss that explanation. Haven't had a chance to play with the logo, will have to see how that looks.

For those galleries, I agree that there is quite a bit of repetition, where these are group shoots I like to show a little more material so that the others involved with the shoot see some more material but I am thinking that editing further would make sense. For the Newfoundland gallery, I think I've done a better job of editing but when I did the initial edit I was pushing to get something up and when I'd gotten it down to close to my goal (I wanted no more than 20 and was at 25) I just put them all up. Now that I have a little more perspective I can look through the gallery and see a few shots that could be cut so I think I'll trim it further.

The writing comment is definitely something I have to work on, I feel that I'm very much still working on finding my voice in terms of talking about my photography and I realize this is something I need to improve on and to make things more personal.

Thanks for the excellent pieces of advice.
Logged
Chris_T
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 541


« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:02:08 AM »
ReplyReply

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=41252.0
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:08:41 AM by Chris_T » Logged
finepixpro
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 26



WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Here are my thoughts.


1) Nice to know that the photos are not of Flash format. I am not a fan of Flash platform.

2) I am not keen on the pop-up window when I click the image thumbnail. I assume some viewers like this feature.

3) Simple and effective website design.


Just my two cents.
Logged
frugal
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 73


WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Here are my thoughts.


1) Nice to know that the photos are not of Flash format. I am not a fan of Flash platform.

2) I am not keen on the pop-up window when I click the image thumbnail. I assume some viewers like this feature.

3) Simple and effective website design.


Just my two cents.

Hi,

Completely agree with you on the Flash, the options you can achieve in Javascript these days really make Flash for gallery use less appealing (plus there's issues with mobile browsing with Flash). And the "copy protection" argument is usually simply a false sense of security.

I have been debating on the pop-up box. I may switch to using Galleria http://galleria.aino.se/, but I had a few minor issues with it in testing, if I can iron those out I think I'll switch to using it for Galleries and keep the pop-up for single image thumbnails on other pages.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad