Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Leaf Aptus-II 12  (Read 37041 times)
Frank Doorhof

« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »
ReplyReply

I've shot with them in Florida during a heat weave, water was literally streaming out of my body, I believe it was 34 degrees C, with a humidity of high in the 80's and the Aptus II7 performed great while my Applejuice just gave up, it wouldn't work for a few days.

Also did some shoots with it at the Salton sea in California and salvation mountain, very dusty and high 40's C. and it didn't stop working.

And of course in our own country we did some shoots last winter with below zero temps and it also worked like a charm, except the batteries. We use Panasonic replacements that run at least four times as long (but are a lot bigger).

I don't have experience with real rain, but to be honest my back did get his occasional splash of water (by accident) and it never gave a problem. However I strongly advise to not use it in the rain, but as Yaya mentioned there a rain cover would be wise.

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Some very interesting points of view, some good points, and some not so good, but we each have our own needs and see things our own way, is our nature.

I however I do agreed that there is not only the need for Super High resolution Cameras, but that there is also the need to progress the evolution of design of the MF cameras, and the Leaf surely did a great Job bringing to market the new 12/12R at 80MP, even so I still very much miss a better LCD, amongst few things I have accustom to the past 20+ years of Photography on 35mm cameras, but I look forward to test out the Aptus 12, even so as I get ready to test out the Aptus 10/DF system and the Leica S2, I fill I might just simply very possibly go with the Leica S2, for the more familiar system, but I will be sure to give the Leaf Backs a ride for their money, as at FF MF 80MP offers a new ground of Resolution, Print Size and Detail.

At the end is the way each of us utilizes our gear, and what we utilize it for, that will make the main differences stand up or disappear, and make the additional Resolution Mater or not, and make the various aspects, of each system stand up or not vs. the other depending on the intended use.

Thanks for all you contributions, including links Wink
Fritzer

« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2010, 04:48:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Well, a European Leaf rep. just told me, the Aptus II 12 will only be available in the R version for the users of a Habla V adapter .

The R seems to be roughly 8000 Euros more than the non-R ; I was quoted a sum for an upgrade/trade-in from my Aptus 75 ( Habla V) which is hilarious, due to this .

Can anyone shed some light on that - it's not correct information, is it ?
Yaya, Doug, anyone ?
Doug Peterson

« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Well, a European Leaf rep. just told me, the Aptus II 12 will only be available in the R version for the users of a Habla V adapter .

The R seems to be roughly 8000 Euros more than the non-R ; I was quoted a sum for an upgrade/trade-in from my Aptus 75 ( Habla V) which is hilarious, due to this .

Rotating versions will be available for the AFI and the V mounts. An R mount in the 645 bodies would not make any sense since the opening in the back of the camera is a horizontal 6x4.5. If you rotated the sensor on a 645 horizontal opening you'd just see the metal of the body at the top and bottom of the camera mount. A rotation on an AFI or V makes sense because you're rotating a horizontal 645 frame within a 6x6 rear-camera-opening; it can fit either vertical or horizontal.

US list pricing on the 12 and the 12R for V are the same at US$31,995
US list pricing for the AFI-12 (includes rotation) is US$33,490

Trade-up pricing for a 75 in the US will give you a good chunk of change more in trade-in-value for your 75 than you could get for it on the open market, and from that point of view is very fiscally attractive; as well you don't have to hassle with selling it with the chance/annoyance of buyer fraud, buyer rejection, or variable pricing on an auction.

I can't comment on European pricing and availability (meaning I don't know).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:50:42 AM by dougpetersonci » Logged

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
Neil Folberg

« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Hello Doug,

I do recall that you said something earlier about checking with DHW about their plans for the Afi platform and in general about their plans - did something come of that meeting?

I am considering the upgrade from the AFi-ii 7 and the trade-in offer I got here in Israel seems interesting, but I won't be able to see a demo for a while and it is still a substantial sum of money. I also wonder how much slower it is in practice in writing files to the back when shooting and how I would handle on a regular basis the greatly increased file size.

Many thanks for your interesting comments and updates.

Neil
yaya

« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2010, 01:19:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Yaya, Doug, anyone ?

Hi there,

Price wise, there is absolutely no difference between the 12R (V mount) and the other mounts (Contax, Phase/ Mamiya and H), be it a trade-in from an A75 or a straight forward new back purchase

Hope this clarifies

Yair

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Mamiya Leaf |
e: ysh@leaf-photography.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
Steve Hendrix

« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello Doug,

I do recall that you said something earlier about checking with DHW about their plans for the Afi platform and in general about their plans - did something come of that meeting?

I am considering the upgrade from the AFi-ii 7 and the trade-in offer I got here in Israel seems interesting, but I won't be able to see a demo for a while and it is still a substantial sum of money. I also wonder how much slower it is in practice in writing files to the back when shooting and how I would handle on a regular basis the greatly increased file size.

Many thanks for your interesting comments and updates.

Neil

FYI -

http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/11/17/an-impressive-stable-of-technology/

Difficult to predict the future - really with many companies - but this is the uptake on the situation from our meetings, taken at face value, as presented.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix
Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 404.543.8475
Fritzer

« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, I seem to not have been clear.

There is no non-R version of the Aptus II 12 in V-mount, is that correct ?

As I have no need whatsoever for the rotating sensor, but use the V-mount for my sliding back and Mamyia RZ adapter, it'd be quite annoying if that would be true .

The Aptus 12 (non-R), it still manually mounts in both vertical and horizontal orientation, I assume, like my Aptus 75 ?
Why would there be no V-mount option then ?
Steve Hendrix

« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2010, 11:39:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, I seem to not have been clear.

There is no non-R version of the Aptus II 12 in V-mount, is that correct ?

As I have no need whatsoever for the rotating sensor, but use the V-mount for my sliding back and Mamyia RZ adapter, it'd be quite annoying if that would be true .

The Aptus 12 (non-R), it still manually mounts in both vertical and horizontal orientation, I assume, like my Aptus 75 ?
Why would there be no V-mount option then ?

I don't understand. The Aptus-II 12R is for Hasselblad V mounts and also provides the ability to rotate the sensor without removing the back, and yet is the same price as the non-rotating Aptus-II 12 in Mamiya, Hassy H, and Contax mounts and that is a problem? I don't understand the problem.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix
Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 404.543.8475
Fritzer

« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't understand. The Aptus-II 12R is for Hasselblad V mounts and also provides the ability to rotate the sensor without removing the back, and yet is the same price as the non-rotating Aptus-II 12 in Mamiya, Hassy H, and Contax mounts and that is a problem? I don't understand the problem.

Steve Hendrix

Wait a moment - the Aptus 12R and non-R are the same price ?
I now notice Doug has actually answered this above - it seems I got confused , my apologies ... Wink

The information I had so far was that the Aptus 12R would be considerably more expensive than the other version, thanks a lot for clearing this up .
BJNY

« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2011, 03:29:23 AM »
ReplyReply

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leaf_aptus_ii_12.shtml

Guillermo
yaya

« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2011, 03:40:41 AM »
ReplyReply

The view from Michael's place;
Aptus-II 12, Schneider 43mm, Arca-Swiss Rm2D

Some folks said they cannot see the attachment (looks like Chrome doesn't like them) so here's a link
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:01:17 AM by yaya » Logged

e: ysh@leaf-photography.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
BJNY

« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2011, 06:56:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Interesting the screen GUI will be updated in Qtr. 2

Guillermo
MarkoRepse

« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Will the GUI be updated for the Aptus-II backs only, or also the older Aptus models?
Anders_HK

« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Interesting the screen GUI will be updated in Qtr. 2

Indeed, but... with being a Phase One company one wonders why update looks like Windows XP when IQ backs have the simplicity of latest UI of Mac. When can we see a Leaf version of the interface on IQ?Huh

- But make it better in a "Leaf way" please  Wink (a.k.a. more histogram, exposure & graytone control, etc...)  Grin

Thanks!  Cool
yaya

« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »
ReplyReply

Will the GUI be updated for the Aptus-II backs only, or also the older Aptus models?

Aptus-II only. The graphics are not finalised yet but we've implemented many improvements to the order of menus, number of clicks etc.

Yair

xinchenc

« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
ReplyReply

If you check the GUI of the Aptus or AFi, it still shows  (c) by Kodak other than Leaf. I think it is financially correct for Leaf to develop its OWN GUI.

I do not think Leaf is able to provide IQxxx-like GUI because the Aptus (or AFi) is still based on Microsoft Windows CE (check the bottom of your Leaf digital back, it is basicaly a Windows CE device). Win CE is not a fast OS, but is easy to work on.

Is Phaseone digital back on Linux? Huh
xinchenc

« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Difficult to predict the future - really with many companies - but this is the uptake on the situation from our meetings, taken at face value, as presented.

Steve Hendrix

Agreeeeed.

If we had known the future there would have been NO Hy6/AFi project, however it seems that we are NOW quite sure about the future of the Hy6 is NO Future at all. A Paradox?

Thing changes. That is it.

Xin
Anders_HK

« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:16 AM »
ReplyReply

If you check the GUI of the Aptus or AFi, it still shows  (c) by Kodak other than Leaf. I think it is financially correct for Leaf to develop its OWN GUI.

I do not think Leaf is able to provide IQxxx-like GUI because the Aptus (or AFi) is still based on Microsoft Windows CE (check the bottom of your Leaf digital back, it is basicaly a Windows CE device). Win CE is not a fast OS, but is easy to work on.

Is Phaseone digital back on Linux? Huh

It interesting to read that Leaf backs are Win CE based, because unlike all else associated with Microsoft my Leaf back have given me zip zero problem. Thanks! Grin

Above said, could it be an expectation (or hope) by others than me that since Leaf is a Phase One company that technologies beyond sensors are shared in order to further products? Thus it seems wishful to hear of an Aptus-III in near future based on the new IQ technology but with a Leaf implementation. Frankly the UI of IQ backs blow me a way not as a gimmick but as very useful technology. Yet, perhaps as in the IQ backs it is too PhaseOne like for me...?

As I posted in another thread relating to IQ backs;
... I am curious of what more exposure information the IQ backs provide. By chance would following be available? ;
1) histogram with gridline for each stop captured (similar to zone system)
2) readout of max and min exposure value captured (in stops), and how this relates to neutral and to the highest and lowest exposure for which the specific back is capable (read at barely textureless white and black)
3) with live view is there any way to expand above and relate to measured values of max and min EV values of the scene, thus to assist in adjusting exposure more precise based on the scene?

Furthering above thoughts, the fact that focus mask is used in the IQ backs, could that perhaps be together with selection of an onscreen point for focus be furthered together with a sound for confirming zone of focus similar to Betterlight scanning backs do? Thus assisting enabling use of tech cameras for longer lenses in portrait situations hand held, and likewise enabling to more accurate focus based on live view on a view camera?

Above are ideas that pops to my mind merely, but seriously it would be really terrific if Leaf please would develop their own version of IQ like UI with Leaf like photographically useful features built in. It would extend the great tool that the Leaf backs already are today.

Thanks

Regards
Anders

P.S. The image quality provided by the Aptus-II 12 looks really great!!!!  Cool
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad