Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: How to make a rectangular selection by entering just the H&W numbers?  (Read 605 times)
Bill Koenig

« on: September 24, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
ReplyReply

The last post about cropping got me thinking about this question, I didn't want hijack that thread so I'm starting a new one.
Many times I would like to make a rectangular selection to the height and width that I specify. As a example, lets say I want a 8x12 rectangular selection box, is there a way to do this in CS5?
The way I'm doing that now is to watch the ruler as I pull out the selection, but trying to hit 8x12 this way is, well, hit or miss. No matter how close I try, I never get exactly 8x12 this way.
I've tried using the crop tool, but its the same thing, you still have to pull out the selection.

Bill Koenig,
kjkahn

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
ReplyReply

When you select the Rectangular Marquee tool, one of the Style options is Fixed Size (just below the Menu bar). You can use any of the units Photshop recognizes; e.g. in or px. You can move the selection accurately with the arrow keys on your keyboard once you make it. I hope you didn't spend too much time trying to eyeball it.

The last post about cropping got me thinking about this question, I didn't want hijack that thread so I'm starting a new one.
Many times I would like to make a rectangular selection to the height and width that I specify. As a example, lets say I want a 8x12 rectangular selection box, is there a way to do this in CS5?
The way I'm doing that now is to watch the ruler as I pull out the selection, but trying to hit 8x12 this way is, well, hit or miss. No matter how close I try, I never get exactly 8x12 this way.
I've tried using the crop tool, but its the same thing, you still have to pull out the selection.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:39:28 PM »
ReplyReply

I did waste a little time when I first tried this a long time ago, but its not something I use much. Always thought there was a way, I just didn't ask this question until now.
Thanks for the reply.

Bill Koenig,
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad