Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Fall trip to Zion Canyon  (Read 7129 times)
2jbourret

« on: October 14, 2010, 09:39:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Can anyone  report on the ideal time for fall color and hiking in Zion Canyon?

I'm planning on going the week of Oct. 24 and would like to hike the Narrows (from below). Any suggestions? For the Narrows, what is better, flyfishing waders, or the wetsuits that they rent?

Thanks!

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »
ReplyReply

You might also ask this question on the Landscape Photography forum at FredMiranda:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/46

Paul

Wayne Fox

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
ReplyReply

For anyone reading this thread, I was in Zions this past weekend (10/23) , and colors are quite late this year ... I'm guessing they are still 7 to 10 days away from peaking ... probably around the 1st week of November.  There are some nice reds showing up, but very little gold.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Excellent!  Thanks...
2jbourret

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, great to get the report. My trip was delayed a week, so that's good news.

Scott O.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Rent the wading stuff from the sporting goods store in Springdale.  You get the boots, waders, and a balance pole (tripod doesn't work well for this).  Your timing should be perfect, and a trip up the Narrows will be epic.  Enjoy!

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:38 AM »
ReplyReply

And protect your gear.  My wife drowned a camera in the narrows on our first date....
Wayne Fox

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Water flow when I was there was 4x normal summer flow rate through the narrows ... pretty tough going.  Rain eased up the day I was there, but runoff was still too high to get to the subway from the bottom side.  We hiked down to the stream, and debated, but even the first crossing would have been challenging ... doing it 20 or 30 more times up the canyon would have most  likely resulted in a disastrous ending to either us, our camera gear or both.  I don't know how long it takes the water to drop after the rain subsides, and I don't know if the rain returned or it's been dryer.

We hiked back out and by that time of day our only choice was to join the other tourists on a hike through Emerald Pools, which at least offered a few nice opportunities.  Waterfalls were similar to early spring flows.  I'm targeting 1st Saturday of November to try the subway again.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »
ReplyReply

We hiked back out and by that time of day our only choice was to join the other tourists on a hike through Emerald Pools, which at least offered a few nice opportunities.

Well, there is always this spot, but most people don't know where it is, or how to get there.... Wink

I can tell you this, you were within 100 yards of it...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:51:17 AM by Lonnie Utah » Logged
neile

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
ReplyReply

We just pulled into Zion tonight. As luck would have it we were driving east to west through the park right as the setting sunlight hit (around 5pm). I nearly drove off the road a few times Smiley There's still quite a bit of green, but plenty of yellow and reds to make photographers happy. Pretty much every pullout on the east side of the park had 5-10 people with tripods out shooting away happily.

Can't wait for my turn tomorrow night!

Neil

Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Lonnie Utah

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
ReplyReply

How long are you there?  I'll be down that way later in the week. 
neile

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Two more days (today and tomorrow) and then on to Bryce Canyon. Went out scouting this morning, there's lots of colour in the washes on the plateau. Very pretty, although I'm having trouble finding interesting compositions. I think sunset will work better.

I've already bumped into three other people I know Smiley

Neil

Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Lonnie Utah

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Very pretty, although I'm having trouble finding interesting compositions.

PM Me and tell me what you are looking for.  I don't know that much, but I might have some ideas for you....
Wayne Fox

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »
ReplyReply

nice image.  I found many like this as well.

I mainly posted the images  to show the current status of the trees (quite green still ) while I was there and the waterflow over the falls.

Hoping to try for the Subway again Friday.

neile

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Spent the afternoon photographing with a friend and had greater success, although not with trees Smiley The plateau side of the park has all sorts of fall colour going on right now. Haven't gone up the canyon yet, that's tomorrow morning, but saw photos from another friend of mine who happens to be here and he's found great stuff up that way.

Neil

Neil Enns
Johnny_Boy

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 03:07:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Any more updates on the color change? I might be able to make out there in a bit more than a week. Would the colors be gone by then?
neile

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Colour in the park is excellent right now. There is still quite a bit of green around, but I'm not sure if it would still be there in a bit more than a week.

Neil

Neil Enns
Lonnie Utah

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Hoping to try for the Subway again Friday.

Did you get your permit?  How'd it go?  I thought about trying, but fairly sure my preggers wife couldn't have done that one....

Wayne Fox

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Did you get your permit?  How'd it go?  I thought about trying, but fairly sure my preggers wife couldn't have done that one....

Unfortunately some family challenges came up and  the past two weeks have been a little hectic.   So no fall leaves in subway for me this year. I'd still like to go shoot it, but not sure if it's worth it or too cold in dec.  Seems late spring might be the best other than fall.

neile

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:00:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I finally had a chance to process my images from this trip and get them posted. It was awesome. If you want to see what I managed to get during two weeks of Arizona and Utah driving (almost 3000 miles!) check out http://www.danecreekphotography.com/Southwest2010.html.

Neil

Neil Enns
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad