Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: 5D mark II and 50mm 1.2 wide open  (Read 6708 times)
mikekobal

« on: October 26, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Guys, it has been awhile since my last post. Excited to share my latest video clips and photos, shot with the 50mm, 1.2.
the video is shot wide open, def a pain to get the focus right, but doable, for photos at full resolution 1.2 is too soft and I went down to 1.6 or 2.
let me know what you think:
photos - click the middle button (only b/w one)
http://www.mikekobal.com
video - direct link here
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=756
probably my best combo shoot so far.
my first one-and in color- with the 50mm 1.2 wide open -is here
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=750
questions, please ask.
cheers,
Mike
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:19:21 PM by mikekobal » Logged
fredjeang
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:21:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi mike,

Beautifull. Really enjoyed the video but stayed a little bit frustrated because I would have liked more. It's rather short.

Model has personality, she's great. Music well appropriate.

I'm very much in your line about working with primes wide open.
It's a lenguage that has to be devellopped, and sure that in the future the MFD makers will join the video and will have even more narrow d.o.f

Congrats.

Fred

mikekobal

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »
ReplyReply

thanks a lot, Fred, glad you liked it. yeah, every time I put on a prime its like ....ahhhh, that's how its supposed to look at that focal length Smiley
bradleygibson

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Damn, dude--nice video!  Great editing, soundtrack choice as well.  Someday, (in my copious free time), I'd like to learn how to put together impactful video like that--even a short demo reel would be cool.

Her coming across the bridge reminded me a bit of a John Woo scene.  Cool.

I don't know if you have any pointers for video n00bs, but I'd be grateful if you did.

mikekobal

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »
ReplyReply

thanks Bradly. hmmmm, lets see...shoot a lot, i mean, a lot! equipment control should be totally intuitive, exposure, focus etc...and it helps to choose one lens rather then zooming all over the place. even when i use zooms I use them like a prime.
bradleygibson

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Mike, but I didn't mean the mechanics of framing, shooting, focusing, etc., although those do take practice, of course. 

I was thinking about sequencing, storyboarding, pacing, choices for grading, etc.  Just wondering if you're aware of any good resources for those new to the art of video storytelling...

Smiley

PierreVandevenne

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:15:19 AM »
ReplyReply

I liked that book

Cinematic Storytelling: The 100 Most Powerful Film Conventions Every Filmmaker Must Know.

Can't say it has improved my film making abilities yet, but it has already changed the way I look at movies (knowing how things are done sometimes spoils the magic or gives the plot away).

I haven't found a good basic tutorial on stuff such as good scene lengths, best way to chain them, etc... though. I am also interested in pointers.

fredjeang
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Is it a quite thik blue cover book with very simple b&W drawings inside?
I have a book in french called "la grammaire du language filmé" that I caught in a seminar in the actor studio years ago. A bible.
I wonder if it could be the same version in english.
PierreVandevenne

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »
ReplyReply

a vue de nez, non  Wink

but that looks like an interesting book as well, thanks for the pointer.
fredjeang
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:28:39 AM »
ReplyReply

It's this one: http://www.amazon.fr/grammaire-du-langage-film%C3%A9/dp/2859470468
They have another edition with a different cover (mine is blue minimalist) but it's from Daniel Arijon.
Very good reference book.

An english version exists: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grammar-Film-Language-Daniel-Arijon/dp/187950507X

but it seems that it might be a resumed edition. Not sure, maybe it's complete.

Worth to have it.
mikekobal

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:02 AM »
ReplyReply

sorry for the late reply, Bradley, those clips/stories are totally improvised, I never know what styling I will get, don't really know the model or what she can do, build it as I go, remember the clips, and try to put it together as I shoot. Doesn't work all the time. Someone recommended "the writers journey" by Christopher Vogler, just started reading it..sounds interesting, but its just a book  Wink
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad