Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: All alone  (Read 1335 times)
stamper

« on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Another from the walkway.

michswiss

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »
ReplyReply

I've missed the rest of the walkway images, so forgive me if I'm off base.  I refuse to become a cropper, but for me and as the shot stands the misty areas at the top detracts.  I'd prefer to see more context to the walkway or move in so that the man and the walkway are all we have. 

stamper

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Something like this?

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »
ReplyReply

No! I'll jump in before Russ and say: "Don't crop it!" The first one needs the top of the walkway and a bit of sky as context. I like it just the way it is: simple and mysterious.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
JohnKoerner
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Since the title is "All Alone," this immediately rules-out photo #2  Wink

I think the first image, when enlarged, works precisely because it immediately evokes a sense of "walking and thinking ... alone" ... with almost a Rumble Fish feel to it.

Jack

stamper

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Jack I didn't want to crop the image because that was how I liked it so I posted the other one because I have a lot of them.

Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »
ReplyReply

… I refuse to become a cropper...

And I am a card-carrying one Smiley… but I would not crop out the sky, just the black square on the left… quite distracting, while contributing nothing to the story.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
michswiss

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
ReplyReply

No! I'll jump in before Russ and say: "Don't crop it!" The first one needs the top of the walkway and a bit of sky as context. I like it just the way it is: simple and mysterious.

Eric

It's that the bit of sky doesn't really give any context.  Context would show a little more of the surrounds and environment.  At it is, it's just a small bit of misty background that has a different characteristic in lighting that doesn't work. At least for me.  I like the man in the tunnel, but not the setting of the shot.  But the shot is what it is.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 03:11:38 AM »
ReplyReply

And I am a card-carrying one Smiley… but I would not crop out the sky, just the black square on the left… quite distracting, while contributing nothing to the story.

Fair point about the black square. I left it there to try and stop the eye wandering out of the scene. Plenty of other images to ponder over and see if they are better. Probably better to leave them for a few days to get a fresh view of them? Thanks for the feedback.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 03:20:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Apart from anything else, if you were to crop out or otherwise have shot the pic to eliminate the sky, you would have lost the entire dynamic of the tube, the claustrophobic quality of which only adds to the overall power of the image. For God's sake, why can't people see that? It's obvious, it's visceral: back to the fight to quitting the womb, or out of the egg or even the escape of the maggot from the bowels of the Earth!

It proves yet again what some of us here keep repeating: first impressions are very often the valid ones.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

There is no rule! No - wait ...

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
ReplyReply

IMHO there is no need to crop away the sky, because the color is similar to the color of the transparent walkway
and the silhouette of the walkway against the sky is an interesting graphical element which contrasts well with the dirt
on the transparent part due to its clearer defined form.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad