Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 272657 times)
Rob C

« Reply #1240 on: September 14, 2012, 04:38:22 AM »
ReplyReply

That's a very sensitive longer lens, Riaan. Your friend Harry might have lent it to you?

I don't think I'd bother sending it back to have the focus checked; live with the surprises.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1241 on: September 18, 2012, 03:44:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Things that come to haunt one.

This must have been shot during the late 80s - the dog, Dina, died in '90 and the cat, Splatt, was poisoned along with the rest of a gang of around twenty-something semi-wild ones that started out as two female kittens abandoned by their mother who, walking along the perimeter of the garden one day, looked up at us on the terrace, realized that the alsabrador was actually a pussycat, and that we would inevitably relieve mama cat of responsibility for a productive but mad moment behind the rubbish bins.

(The poisoner was a woman resident in the complex who said she was an animal lover; we were away shooting somewhere at the time.)

The glass indicates it was around 11am; nobody wasted time in that decade.

The image was shot on some toy camera that my daughter toted around, and the file came from her as the result of putting a bent and creased happy snap onto a scanner. Rather sad for me, but it proves I once had some hair and that it was fairly dark; my wife hated being snapped, but put up with it because it was our daughter doing the deed.

Good old days, as I know...  ;-)

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1242 on: September 18, 2012, 04:41:02 AM »
ReplyReply

The true strength of the photograph there Rob.

We are all so hip at the time but when we look back there is inevitably a naïvete or gullibility.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your past.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1243 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »
ReplyReply

What Walter said. Very touching.
The true strength of the photograph there Rob.

We are all so hip at the time but when we look back there is inevitably a naïvete or gullibility.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Rob C

« Reply #1244 on: September 18, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »
ReplyReply

I often wondered where the missing half of Half Dome had actually gone to; could this be the tip of it (slap bang in the middle), coming right through from the wilds of America? Earth is hollow, you know; that's why it floats.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:44:00 PM by Rob C » Logged

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1245 on: September 18, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Your picture touched a nerve here Rob.

One forgets too often that we are people talking to each other on forums like this, and not just internet "identities" without soul.

Thank you for sharing.

RobbieV

« Reply #1246 on: September 18, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Your picture touched a nerve here Rob.

One forgets too often that we are people talking to each other on forums like this, and not just internet "identities" without soul.

Thank you for sharing.

Ditto. Thanks for sharing. It's appreciated even by the newcomers like myself.
Rob C

« Reply #1247 on: September 18, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, glad you found it of some interest - when my daughter sent me the original file from her scan it was the first time I'd ever seen the shot. Pity it was so stained and creased, mainly across Ann's forehead - but it did give me some PS practice! I don't think I'd ever have bothered to put so much work into one of my own shots - but there you are.

Thanks again.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1248 on: September 18, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »
ReplyReply

I don't think I'd ever have bothered to put so much work into one of my own shots - but there you are.

Thanks again.

Rob C

Rob,

I was having a discussion with a colleague just last weekend along these very lines.  I had said that without passion of intent there is not much to a photo (or our craft).  Going back through the archives it is plainly visible for all to see what the attitude of either the model, or I, or both was at the time of the shoot.  He didn't believe me, but he is not the most assiduous of viewers.  But it is true.  If the juices aren't flowing then leave the camera in its bag.  So too with processing.  So much of what is called for, especially in commercial work, is simply grist to the mill.  But when the heart is engaged it excites the brain and gets us to go the extra yards.

What a sweet daughter to give her dad such a treasure.

Rob C

« Reply #1249 on: September 19, 2012, 03:57:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Rob,

I was having a discussion with a colleague just last weekend along these very lines.  I had said that without passion of intent there is not much to a photo (or our craft).  Going back through the archives it is plainly visible for all to see what the attitude of either the model, or I, or both was at the time of the shoot.  He didn't believe me, but he is not the most assiduous of viewers.  But it is true.  If the juices aren't flowing then leave the camera in its bag.  So too with processing.  So much of what is called for, especially in commercial work, is simply grist to the mill.  But when the heart is engaged it excites the brain and gets us to go the extra yards.

What a sweet daughter to give her dad such a treasure.

Oh boy! have you opened up a can of delightful worms!

That spark of which you make mention is what lies at the root of all muse relationships. It’s the why of Bailey and Shrimpton and a dozen or more ‘heroes’ who made their mark working with that someone special who turned their shots into pictures. It was the making of my own career – not anywhere in the same exalted league, unfortunately – and, in reverse, due to lack of muse, the cause of my doldrums today.

Without the anticipation, the excitement of what you might be able to pull off on the next shoot, work just becomes work, and in most ways clicking a shutter’s no more exciting than turning a screw or welding a join. And there is an amazingly beautiful chemistry in a relationships that makes photographic encounters between the right people wonderfully exciting for them.

From the practical point of view, the enthusiasm in a muse situation is a hugely valuable commodity to clients: you don’t have to waste time trying to suss out what makes a new model tick; you don’t go along dead end visual paths and you discover early what to stress and what to avoid. And that’s important: I’ve never come across anyone without a downside to her photographic possibilities, and looks can be very deceptive. But, in a small business environment, it can be counterproductive as I discovered to my cost when using the same girl for two competing fashion retail clients in the same city and within ownership of the same group: they don’t like to share! Seems sensible, I suppose… except that one of them is going to get second-best.

So yes, as you suggest, where there’s no strong motivation or, better yet, personal compulsion, then the camera should probably remain in its bag. Hence the cellpix: they simply happen for the spontaneous fun of it with no further intent or pretension beyond the instant giggle. In fact, I find that some things give me a caption before I take the shot… that would have been a valuable asset when I was shooting stock, certainly better than the dumb switch from 'blad/Nikon to 6x7!

To end: without real motivation you discover work; with motivation pleasure. Same thing/work, in many cases, but done for two different reasons.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1250 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Not a lot of motivation, but definitely a light chuckle on the part of both crew washing the decks and myself.

A rolling moment, then.

http://youtu.be/6DVCgKsqn30

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1251 on: September 20, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
ReplyReply

To disobey would be a challenge of biblical proportions.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1252 on: September 20, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Nicely seen Rob.
Rob C

« Reply #1253 on: September 21, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
ReplyReply

Some time ago I was chatting about why my kids aren't all that impressed by professional photography, and that in their minds it came to represent the world of the guinea pig. I used to have a Bowens flash meter in those days, and it wasn't all that dependable, I felt, so I used to run practical tests using card print-outs of the different apertures. This is life at f11. Life at other stops lies safely within my daughter's free hand. Anyway, it's another shot from a print sent me from my daughter's scanner. Perhaps she shouldn't have bought one.

Funny how peculiar bell-bottoms look today, but I wore them as did most everybody else I knew. I had a matching jacket to go with the jeans (very soft crushed denim - oh so tactile!), and they were made by a charming company called The South Sea Bubble, which was certainly an invitation to disaster, as they soon discovered.

Have to admit, ETR saves a lot of faffing about and I would certainly have employed a tethered computer, had they existed...

Anyway, have a giggle. Or just ignore - me es igual.

Oh - for the technically minded: it would almost certainly have been shot using a 2.8/35mm  Nikkor (manual, of course), one of the sharpest lenses I ever owned.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:10:54 PM by Rob C » Logged

nemo295
« Reply #1254 on: September 21, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
ReplyReply

The space shuttle Endeavor over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge this morning, on its final flight.
WalterEG

« Reply #1255 on: September 21, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Gee, what a cracker capture of a cracker moment there Doug.  Is it the fruit of thoughtful planning or are you the beneficiary of happenstance.

My curiosity is sparked by the flag at half-mast.  Was that for the shuttle or somebody else's demise?

Cheers,

W
nemo295
« Reply #1256 on: September 21, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Gee, what a cracker capture of a cracker moment there Doug.  Is it the fruit of thoughtful planning or are you the beneficiary of happenstance.

My curiosity is sparked by the flag at half-mast.  Was that for the shuttle or somebody else's demise?

Cheers,

W

Thanks! I was able to track the shuttle's flight progress online so I knew approximately where it was going to be at the time. I shot it through the window of our CFO's corner office. Fortunately the glass wasn't too dirty. Not sure why the flag was at half mast, but it'd been so for a few days.
Rob C

« Reply #1257 on: September 22, 2012, 03:05:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks! I was able to track the shuttle's flight progress online so I knew approximately where it was going to be at the time. I shot it through the window of our CFO's corner office. Fortunately the glass wasn't too dirty. Not sure why the flag was at half mast, but it'd been so for a few days.

Maybe for those murdered due to those home-grown nutters making anti-moslem movies?

Rob C

nemo295
« Reply #1258 on: September 22, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Maybe for those murdered due to those home-grown nutters making anti-moslem movies?

Rob C

Possibly.
kikashi

« Reply #1259 on: September 22, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
ReplyReply

And hence irritating the irrational? There's an excellent comment here.

Jeremy
Pages: « 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad