Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 235464 times)
Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1380 on: December 31, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »
ReplyReply

The girl? Suzi G, who also starred in Patrick Lichfield's 1982 epic calendar for Unipart, in Sicily. Not being a belted earl myself, I found it more convenient to allow him the pleasure of testing my girls first. He was seldom wrong, fortunately for us both.

Rob C

Rob, wasn't she the high heeled and stockinged girl leaning against a wall adjusting her shoe in the calendar?

Love your pic of her Sir!
Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1381 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Work in progress.
Rob C

« Reply #1382 on: December 31, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Rob, wasn't she the high heeled and stockinged girl leaning against a wall adjusting her shoe in the calendar?

Love your pic of her Sir!

Thanks, Riaan; yes, she's on the cover of Lichfield's calendar book, too. On the inside of the cover and over two pages lies Georgie, on her tummy, with whom I did my first Tennet's Lager shoot in Mallorca and also used in the Bahamas for Hewden/Stuart Group. Several other girls in his calendars were also on my 'must' list and helped other jobs along... Sweet times.

To be frank, one of the best casting sources was the Sun newspaper which provided much of the exposure those models needed via its Page 3 topless shots. The paper was rubbish, but Beverly Goodway was a grand snapper with good taste, in a difficult medium, with easy-to-trip-over lines! I don't think he ever even stubbed his toe.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1383 on: December 31, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
ReplyReply

The paper was rubbish, but Beverly Goodway was a grand snapper with good taste, in a difficult medium, with easy-to-trip-over lines! I don't think he ever even stubbed his toe.
Rob C

I have never heard one of the pommy models I have worked with ever have anything but high praise for Beverly Goodway.  I think he might still be at it.  Is he?

All the best for 2013,

WG
Rob C

« Reply #1384 on: December 31, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Walter,

I wouldn't imagine so - at least not with the newspaper. I think I saw something somewhere about him regretting the work he did, type-casting and all, but not sure. Another guy who did well with it was Brian Aris: I think he went off to the States...

I never see those papers anymore - they certainly do come here during the tourist season, but that's probably the only time. I no longer have a reason to look, so I don't bother.

To be honest, beaches and broads have swapped places in my imagination with dancers (ballet) and rehearsal studios etc. and other city locations that I'll probably never see. Unless someone makes me a good offer for the apartment, but for that to happen I'd have to advertise it, then I'd probably change my mind at the first serious buyer. Nothin' new... maybe next year something positive will happen right out of the blue; I like blue, and the blues - musically speaking - even more so. Bloody recesssion. Nobody's buying anything here.

Saw some shots of Sydney on tv today, thought it looked beautiful but can't remember the context. Nothing to do with fireworks, though. Fortunate chap: you live in a wonderfully visual place, but I expect that being familar, it loses its power to charm you, perhaps? I think I remember about Sydney: it couild have been on a programme about migtrating birds called Earthflight, I think. Amazing photography.

Greetings for 2013!

Rob C

P.S. Sadly, turns out that Beverly Goodway died of cancer in November. R.I.P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:03:44 PM by Rob C » Logged

WalterEG

« Reply #1385 on: December 31, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Sadly, turns out that Beverly Goodway died of cancer in November. R.I.P

May light eternal shine upon him.

Sydney is a funny place:  it is huge on veneer, but one almost needs to be a local to find the substance.  I seldom shoot the picture postcard stuff but I do enjoy to scratch beneath the surface.  In fact, it is my intention to do just that later today.  Meanwhile some examples in various scales of Sydney's love of lattice are attached.

Rob, it is curious to hear you speak of ballet studios and cityscape locations when you have a virgin-white background blind right there on the verandah.

Happy New Year.

Rob C

« Reply #1386 on: January 01, 2013, 04:10:28 AM »
ReplyReply

May light eternal shine upon him.

Sydney is a funny place:  it is huge on veneer, but one almost needs to be a local to find the substance.  I seldom shoot the picture postcard stuff but I do enjoy to scratch beneath the surface.  In fact, it is my intention to do just that later today.  Meanwhile some examples in various scales of Sydney's love of lattice are attached.

Rob, it is curious to hear you speak of ballet studios and cityscape locations when you have a virgin-white background blind right there on the verandah.

Happy New Year.

Yes, virgin-white and virgin-like! Not a virgin, whore nor even undecided has stepped before it. I'm coming to think of it in the same manner as I am about all my cameras, lenses, and the two flash units that I had repaired a month or so back (did I mention the scanner, computer and printer?): should have just bought a hotter car instead and locked photography away in the filing cabinet of life. Hotter car be damned: glaucoma will probably eff that into oblivion soon enough too. Depressed? Me? Of course not, I love the blues, don't you know.

I have finally discovered the ultimate proof of recession and example of irony: was a time I had more spare calendars of my own around the house than I knew what to do with; family, friends, nobody had to buy one. When that stopped, I used to be given them by local independent shops. I now realise that, this year, none of those shops has any. Somebody is suffering big-time. And computer dates aren't as convenient or as useful: there are so many odd, unexpected local holidays here (read shut shops and banks) that, unwarned, one could go seriously short of food and/or cash! Now I shall have to pay big bucks to have another boring picture of Mallorca hanging on the wall, and probably not find one with all the holidays marked in red and of a size sufficient to read!

Happy new year, Victor Meldrew; you got it about right!

;-)

Rob C

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:49:41 AM by Rob C » Logged

Rob C

« Reply #1387 on: January 01, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »
ReplyReply

In the spirit of what a difference a year makes, two shots from the same spot, give or take a metre. And, of course, a year.

Rob C

P.S. The fact that this year there are more boats moored out in the sea tells us something: the crisis is real; berths inside the marina are now priced beyond many. I feel quite smug: they were almost always beyond me!

;-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:20:34 AM by Rob C » Logged

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1388 on: January 01, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
ReplyReply

I dug out the Lichfield calendar book Rob, I have two of them ( on loan as per usual) and will peruse tonight at leasure.
Rob C

« Reply #1389 on: January 02, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
ReplyReply

First course wasn't that great; left wandering what's next. Know what it's supposed to be, but...

Oh well, it's the crisis. What do you expect for ten euros? Food?

;-(

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:21:15 AM by Rob C » Logged

WalterEG

« Reply #1390 on: January 02, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Fairly young wine there Rob.  I'd be cautious if 'wandering' to far amidst the traffic.

Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #1391 on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
ReplyReply

...What do you expect for ten euros? Food?...

Ten!? Terrible crisis then. I used to have a two-course menu del dia, which included a glass of vino tinto, for... six euros, in Barcelona, in the beginning of this century (sounds older then it is, doesn't it?). I guess islands are always a bit more expensive as well.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Rob C

« Reply #1392 on: January 02, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Young wine? More like just squeezed from the grapes bought in the shops that morning! But hell, a single (glass!) a day ain’t gonna shake anyone much, Walter.

During the early 80s when we arrived here all bushy tailed and filled with excitement and hope, not to mention oodles of financial confidence, a fine lunch down at a restaurant beside the beach would rush you, for two, round about Pts.3000 or so, including tip. That was fifteen quid for two. For that, we’d have menu food (not del dia), at least a bottle of wine and probably a Campari soda and G&T before we eat, and all the coffee we wanted. I’ll tell you something: in one restaurant, we’d had a helluva great meal, a couple of drinks with some Spanish tourists sitting at the next table, and decided (well, I did) that we needed another bottle of wine. Would you believe, the owner, whom we knew quite well by then, suggested we think again as it was a bit of a long drive home… we did, and didn‘t. Today? Folks would probably sell you what you want till you fall off the chair. And charge you when you break it.

Islands are great for photography, especially those that run north to south, like the southern end of Fuerteventura, or even Malta because it’s small: you can get two cracks at sunrise or sunset just by swapping coasts. And there it stops.

When we started doing our road trips from Mallorca to Scotland, we’d book a two-way ferry with a fictitious return date, and we could then swap the return leg by a simple telephone call to the ferry company later on, depending on how long we really wanted to stay away. Last time I enquired, you either get a single, a fixed return or pay through the friggin’ nose for an open return. And they wonder why there’s a dearth of cars outwith the peak summer period. It’s as if they just want to keep you prisoner here. The mainland of Spain means the whole of Europe’s open to you – no islands for homes ever again!

Car insurance? You’d think it would be cheaper here, being an island; no way: when I asked why, the chap pulled out papers and showed that the accident rates were higher because of the proportion of tourists…

Slobodan, you just knew my trigger!

;-)

Rob C

pegelli

« Reply #1393 on: January 05, 2013, 03:30:25 AM »
ReplyReply

We went to Brussels the day before yesterday (also a town with expensive meals by the way) and I was very excited since there seemed to be an exhibition of photographs by Cas Oorthuys, one of my favourite Dutch photographers from the mid 1900's. So I paid 4 euro to get in the museum only to find out the exhibition was closed 2 days before. It was still fully intact but the doors to the room barricaded with chairs and totally dark and they didn't let me in  Sad

So the only picture I saw was on the poster outside and I couldn't help myself so bought the exhibition book there as well.

I also got a snapshot out of it:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:39:05 AM by pegelli » Logged

pieter, aka pegelli
Rob C

« Reply #1394 on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Nice shot, peg; does the poster show a set of dates for the exhibition?

At least you got the book - it'll last longer than the memory of the show, even if you had been able to catch it.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1395 on: January 05, 2013, 06:33:12 AM »
ReplyReply

WIN some and LOSE some Peg,

I agree with Rob that the book may well serve not only to see Oorthuys' work but to recall your experiences in Brussels.  On the other hand, if they were actually vintage prints on show, you may well have been denied quite an experience.
pegelli

« Reply #1396 on: January 05, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks guys, don't know if there were true darkroom prints in the exhibition (too dark to see when I peeked in) but the book is nice and can be looked at every day. I can still go to the photomuseum in Rotterdam if I want to see some real darkroom prints from his negatives, that when printed large will probably quite an experience. One day I will make the time to do that.  Roll Eyes

And Rob, yes, the dates were on the poster. Just shows how unobservant I get when I'm exited. Not a good attribute for a photographer, but can't hide it  Huh

There was however one additional advantage of spending the 4 € admission, it's seeing a staircase which could very well have been part of the Escher residence  Wink

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:38:09 AM by pegelli » Logged

pieter, aka pegelli
WalterEG

« Reply #1397 on: January 05, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Gotta love those stairs!
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1398 on: January 05, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Gotta love those stairs!
+10.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #1399 on: January 08, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »
ReplyReply

My (humble) homage to Vermeer. The first one, square, is the one I prefer. The second is more like the Vermeer's girl. The association came after the shoot.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad