Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 258335 times)
Rob C

« Reply #1400 on: January 08, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »
ReplyReply

No pearls?

You did this back-to-front: should have had the 'homage' figured out first!

But cute!

Rob C

opgr

« Reply #1401 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
ReplyReply

My (humble) homage to Vermeer. The first one, square, is the one I prefer. The second is more like the Vermeer's girl. The association came after the shoot.

Well done. I can fully appreciate why you are a proud dad. And I am secure enough to admit that she might well have her good looks from her dad. However, your photography is much too good to be ruined by those awful darktones. What happened? Underexposed & recovery? Or simply a camera that can't handle the DR?

Regards,
Oscar Rysdyk
theimagingfactory
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #1402 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
ReplyReply

... those awful darktones. What happened? Underexposed & recovery? Or simply a camera that can't handle the DR?

Hmmm... the dark tones are deliberate. It is true that it was shot under rather difficult conditions, table lamp as the sole light source, very close to the face (thus the contrast), ISO 6400, Canon 60D (an awful combination for DR). Nevertheless, the original file has enough shadow detail, which I actually deliberately suppressed (though rather gently: in LR, contrast +20, Blacks -5, Clarity -20, Post-Crop Vignetting -30)

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
opgr

« Reply #1403 on: January 08, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Hmmm... the dark tones are deliberate. It is true that it was shot under rather difficult conditions, table lamp as the sole light source, very close to the face (thus the contrast), ISO 6400, Canon 60D (an awful combination for DR). Nevertheless, the original file has enough shadow detail, which I actually deliberately suppressed (though rather gently: in LR, contrast +20, Blacks -5, Clarity -20, Post-Crop Vignetting -30)

Yes, they need to be dark, but there is no drawing. It is a flat noisy red, and the background shows just two tones, in the sweater it shows banding. The eyes are almost pencil drawn. It looks godawful, and if you're going to take more beautiful portraits like that, or win more prices and publications, you might as well consider upgrading the camera. I was inclined to ask for the RAW files, but seeing ISO 6400 and Canon 60D probably explains it.

Additionally, if the table-lamp has one of those modern energy efficient bulbs, then it might also be an infra-red issue. Note that I am not Canon-bashing here, I own and enjoy a Canon 40D myself, but if I remotely had the money, I would also consider upgrading to something more modern…

Regards,
Oscar Rysdyk
theimagingfactory
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #1404 on: January 08, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
ReplyReply

...Additionally, if the table-lamp has one of those modern energy efficient bulbs, then it might also be an infra-red issue...

It was one of those... but what is the infra-red issue with it?

... if I remotely had the money, I would also consider upgrading to something more modern…

Welcome to the club Wink

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1405 on: January 08, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
ReplyReply

You're right: The second one looks more like Vermeer, because his models always face left toward the window light.
I don't think Vermeer used Compact Fluorescent lightbulbs.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
opgr

« Reply #1406 on: January 08, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
ReplyReply

It was one of those... but what is the infra-red issue with it?

Apparently they are very spiky on the far red of the spectrum. So much so, that it even throws off the autofocus. The color spectrum doesn't play well with Canon sensors. I remember having significant problems trying to calibrate my camera during development of a calibrator, and I also continuously got unsharp color-checker images. I was like wtf? It's only a flat colorchecker? Until I read somewhere about the spectrum and realised that a lens exhibits chromatic aberrations which will focus red light slightly differently. (I used both a 24-70 mk 1, and a 200 mk2).

Before exaggerating the camera issue, I suppose it is primarily an issue of iso 6400 + light-source that is the problem here. I look forward to seeing some natural daylight images of similar subject matter. We are apparently sentenced to enjoying our cameras for a little while longer...

Regards,
Oscar Rysdyk
theimagingfactory
Chairman Bill

« Reply #1407 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
ReplyReply

My wife & youngest son. A part-family portrait? Just a snapshot at the time, but I quite like it & feel I should return for a more formal, planned shot.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:03:02 PM by Chairman Bill » Logged

Rob C

« Reply #1408 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »
ReplyReply

My wife & youngest son. A part-family portrait? Just a snapshot at the time, but I quite like it & feel I should return for a more formal, planned shot.

Never do that: the failure rate's too high. It's the downside of all recces: you learn the geography but lose the excitement of discovery.

I thought I should buy a cheap guitar this morning; then, I cast my mind back many, many decades and that old déjà vu saved the moment. Not everything had its Golden Age for me.

;-(

Rob C

Chairman Bill

« Reply #1409 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
ReplyReply

I got my battered old Yamaha SG700s nice & cheap (second-hand, of course). Sounds wonderful. Sometimes cheap is good.

Rob C

« Reply #1410 on: January 11, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
ReplyReply

I got my battered old Yamaha SG700s nice & cheap (second-hand, of course). Sounds wonderful. Sometimes cheap is good.

Maybe so, but I'd still have a tin ear! I was bought a guitar when I was eleven or twelve, went to lessons and was told by the teacher that I should consider some fixed pitch instrument. Like an accordion. But I still remember E A D G B E! Almost there, then. Except that I've got small hands, too. Sigh.

Rob C

Steve Weldon

« Reply #1411 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I realized I've never posted an image, or at least one I can remember so I thought I'd share this one.  A Mother and Marine Son.   I made the capture outdoors in 14f weather with a bit of snow falling.

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com
Patricia Sheley

« Reply #1412 on: January 11, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
ReplyReply

You might return for another go, but I find it beyond my imagination that exquisite moment of a son's love, enfolded within his beautiful long fingers and the deep calm and safety reflected in his eyes and the soft gaze of mother/wife, the link/completion between father and son is one you could "direct" for a more formal go at it. I most definitely agree with Rob's assessment. This is quite satisfyingly beautiful...this to me represents well recognized, well seen, magically captured...a fine portrait.

A common woman...

www.patriciasheley.com
Chairman Bill

« Reply #1413 on: January 12, 2013, 03:34:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Patricia - that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my photographs. Thank you.

Rob C

« Reply #1414 on: January 13, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Just to prove it wasn't girls all the time, even when they were there: shot during a Tennent's Lager calendar production.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:25:35 PM by Rob C » Logged

WalterEG

« Reply #1415 on: January 13, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Such wonderfully organic form in that structure Rob.

WalterEG

« Reply #1416 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »
ReplyReply

When I found and shot the rusted old Chevvy Ute (pick-up?) I was actually in the vicinity to shoot a motif on the other side of the road:

W
Rob C

« Reply #1417 on: January 13, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
ReplyReply

Sometimes I really do wish that I still owned a lens with PC; I sometimes wish all lenses could do that!

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1418 on: January 20, 2013, 05:40:09 AM »
ReplyReply

Another recent masterpiece from the Samsung Sub-Minox.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:25:54 PM by Rob C » Logged

Bruce Cox

« Reply #1419 on: January 20, 2013, 08:58:59 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't know if your Nikon can do as well, but, if this hull is still avalable, you might reshoot it, so as to be able to print this Sub-Minox find larger some day.

Bruce
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:01:08 AM by Bruce Cox » Logged
Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad