New Version 6.1 AvailableDownload
: Download DPP++ 6.1What's new in version 6.1RAW Histogram
Adjusting black and points in the RAW histogram rather than in the RGB histogram seems to provide better results. Unfortunately DPP doesn't provide an easy way to control these points, especially the white point where a small movement of the slider provides a strong change in the pic. That's why buttons that allow a precise control of these points have been added.
- Buttons to control with an extreme precision the white/blacks points of the RAW histogram have been added. These points can also be controlled using the Left/Right keyboard arrows or the mouse wheel.
- Buttons to copy/paste the white/blacks points of the RAW histogram have been added.
- A Button to reset the the white/blacks points of the RAW histogram has been added
Precise statistical Data about the RGB histogram can now be displayed :
- Center of mass of the histogram : this information allows to know exactly where the center of mass of the histogram is located. For a normal shot taken in normal light conditions, a good exposure should place the center of mass at 127.5 (255/2). For a night shot it should be shifted at left. For snow shots, it should be shifted at right.
- Percentage of black pixels (pixels which have their value at 0)
- Percentage of white pixels (pixels which have their value at 255)
- Percentage of white and black pixels (pixels which have their value at 0 or 255)
Note that the displayed percentage data are related to the channel currently displayed in the RGB histogram. For instance, if you display only the Blue channel, then the displayed percentages concern the pixels which have their blue value at 0 or 255. If you display more than one channel then the displayed percentages are related to the pixels that have their values at 0 or 255 in the 3 channels simultaneously.Auto exposure
A function that allow to adjust automatically the brightness slider of the RAW tab has been added. This function can operate in 4 different modes:
- Adjust the exposure so as to locate the center of mass of the histogram as near as possible to the center. This is for shots taken in normal conditions of lighting.
- Adjust the exposure so as the percentage of black pixels is as minimum as possible. Useful for night shots.
- Adjust the exposure so as the percentage of white pixels is as minimum as possible. Useful for snow shots for instance.
- Adjust the exposure so as the percentage of white pixels and black pixels are both as minimum as possible. Useful in most cases. However you will probably need after that to adjust the white and black points in the RAW histogram to improve contrast.
- Display of alerts about pixels that have their values at 0 or 255 have been added on a channel basis.
o Example 1 : There are pixels which have value 0 in the red channel > a small red circle is displayed at the bottom left of the RGB histogram.
o Example 2 : In the green channel, there are a majority of pixels which have value 0 > a small green circle is displayed at the up left of the RGB histogram.
o Example 3 : There are pixels which have value 255 in the blue channel > a small blue circle is displayed at the bottom right of the RGB histogram.
o Example 4 : There are a majority of pixels which have value 255 in the three channels > a small white circle is displayed at the up right of the RGB histogram.
- Now you can also control the white/black point of the RGB histogram using the keyboard arrows or the mouse wheel.
What is DPP++ Plugin ?
- Support of French langage.
- A refresh command has been added to the program menu to refresh the display if necessary.
- Algorithm for displaying the RGB histogram has been improved. In previous version, the RGB histogram were blinking if the graphics card was not fast enough. Now the RGB histogram is updated only when necessary. So there is no more blinking.
DPP++ is a plugin-like program for the Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software . It enhances the original Canon software by adding some useful functions. DPP++ offers 10 new functions :
- A tool similar to the measure tool of photoshop, which allows to correct the angle of a pic by drawing a line on the horizon or on a wall in the pic.
- The possibility to save the custom aspect ratios defined with the trim tool. The new aspect ratios can be saved automatically and retrieved automatically.
- The display of composition lines in the trim tool : Gold lines / Rule of Third lines / Diagonals.
- The possibility to save and reload raw conversion settings in just 1 clic. This allow to compare different raw conversions instantly and to apply a set of settings to an image in just 1 clic.
- The possibility to display an interactive RGB Histogram inside the RAW tab. This allows to avoid switching continuously between the RAW tab and the RGB tab just to look at the RGB histogram or to change the black and white points in the RGB histogram.
- The displays of a new list for custom picture styles. This list allows to save the custom picture styles. So it is no more necessary to clic on the browse button and to search for a custom picture style each time you want to apply a custom picture style. After adding a picture style to the list, it will be there each time you use DPP. So you will have just to clic on the list and choose the picture style you want to apply.
- The possibility to control the white/black points of the RAW histogram with extreme precision.
- The possibility to display statistical data about the RGB histogram including the center of mass.
- The possibility to adjust exposure automatically based on 4 criteria : placing the histogram center of mass at the center, saving whites, saving blacks, saving both blacks and whites.
- The possibililty to display alerts on a channel basis (Red, Green, Blue, RGB, Luminance).
The program works only under Windows systems (sorry for Mac users).