Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: LF how to get into it?  (Read 8113 times)
fredjeang
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »
ReplyReply

I was reading in a french website dedicated to LF, http://www.galerie-photo.com/index.html
that the idea that LF is slow and somewhat "religious" is not true. The guy was explaining that in most shooting situations the time, elements like lightning... change very quickly, a few minutes and it's over. So they where pointing that speed in operation is actually something that LF photographers are very concern.

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, I used film all my life, and I can say the thought of going back to 4x5 is horrendous!

We used it almost exclusively in the industrial unit, sometimes going larger, and also a little bit in my first commercial job, but if you ask my opinion, which no one did, I'd say anyone thinking of 'starting' with 8x10 would be better starting with a visit to their local mental heath centre. Forget it.

If you really feel you want film, go no larger than one of the 120 roll formats; it'll give you anything you realistically imagine you can do. Should you someday feel the hand of the good goddess Gallerie on your shoulder (or in your pants) then yes, if she promises more for 8x10, rent and try her out...

You can be as deliberate, slow and/or anal as you like with any camera.

Rob C

fredjeang
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 02:04:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, I used film all my life, and I can say the thought of going back to 4x5 is horrendous!

We used it almost exclusively in the industrial unit, sometimes going larger, and also a little bit in my first commercial job, but if you ask my opinion, which no one did, I'd say anyone thinking of 'starting' with 8x10 would be better starting with a visit to their local mental heath centre. Forget it.

If you really feel you want film, go no larger than one of the 120 roll formats; it'll give you anything you realistically imagine you can do. Should you someday feel the hand of the good goddess Gallerie on your shoulder (or in your pants) then yes, if she promises more for 8x10, rent and try her out...

You can be as deliberate, slow and/or anal as you like with any camera.

Rob C

I understand your point Rob.

But thinking about it, isn't it like chasing a fat girl? If you have fat girl fantasy I'd say go for the real fat one and not just the curvly. No... no...this is not a good example.
Ok, if you want a Texan lady, isn't it better going directly for the most Texan one? But what's the most texan one then? doesn't work either.

If LF is an hassle anyway, why not making directly the hassle with the bigger? Qui peut le plus peut le moins, but the opposite is not necessary true.
I think this one works.
Rob C

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
ReplyReply

But thinking about it, isn't it like chasing a fat girl? If you have fat girl fantasy I'd say go for the real fat one and not just the curvly. No... no...this is not a good example.
Ok, if you want a Texan lady, isn't it better going directly for the most Texan one? But what's the most texan one then? doesn't work either.

If LF is an hassle anyway, why not making directly the hassle with the bigger? Qui peut le plus peut le moins, but the opposite is not necessary true.
I think this one works.

Not a good idea, Fred: it leads la recherche du temps perdu...

Also, dating the fat girl makes you spend more in restaurants - better by far to date the simply curvy one who will eat less and reward you for buying more champagne instead, which if you don't drink it yourself, really, really pays dividends; you can look upon it as an investment in, well, time, a good one.

Rob C

KevinA

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2010, 03:12:43 AM »
ReplyReply

I think this one works.

Rob is right,
 besides forget fat girls or Texan ones etc stick with cameras. I can understand the desire for a big sexy 10x8, I can understand the desire to hold your own 10x8 neg in hand, they really are a thing of beauty, it just is there is a lot to learn to get to that thing of beauty in your hand. I do not know how much experience you have with film, even shooting roll film there is a lot to learn, not difficult but a lot. You might decide the work and effort you need to put into it does not justify the results, or you might fall in love with the whole process. A suck and see approach could save a lot of mental anguish and expense. If someone came to me and wanted to learn about film I would point them towards a TLR, a simple camera with the discipline of one lens, nothing much to think about other than the image on the screen. And a vintage Rolleiflex ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROLLEIFLEX-TLR-3-5E-75mm-3-5-Planar-Case-/370380993906?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item563c6d7572#ht_500wt_922 ) is a thing of beauty and sexy to me, but what do I know, I like my Girls on the skinny side of fat.
Kevin.

Kevin.
Policar

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Get exactly what you want.  If it's too much you can move down (4x5) if it's too little you can move up to ULF.  It won't be too little.

Shooting large format isn't so much "hard" as it is "easy to screw up" until you get the hang of it, which I still haven't.  Worth practicing on something that doesn't move first, though.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:57:57 AM by Policar » Logged
fredjeang
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
ReplyReply

In terms of working experience with film and darkroom, I have a background from my fine arts period, where I was working exclusivly with MF film (Mamiya) and huge enlargements.
I've been trained by Balthasar Burkhard that unfortunatly passed away this year, a gran format master http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthasar_Burkhard who was teaching at that time in the Fine Arts school.
So film developement, dark room is a place where I spent a lot of time during many years. I was doing my B&W and slides myself But I've never put my hand on a LF camera. Never.
Adrian Roy

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Fred,

If you already have this much experience with film and working in the darkroom. Then you really have no reason not to give it a try.

If a lonely 48 year old housewife with no photographic training can produce images like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqnVLwRagbs&feature=related then what are you waiting for?

Adrian.
KevinA

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2010, 02:33:29 AM »
ReplyReply

In terms of working experience with film and darkroom, I have a background from my fine arts period, where I was working exclusivly with MF film (Mamiya) and huge enlargements.
I've been trained by Balthasar Burkhard that unfortunatly passed away this year, a gran format master http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthasar_Burkhard who was teaching at that time in the Fine Arts school.
So film developement, dark room is a place where I spent a lot of time during many years. I was doing my B&W and slides myself But I've never put my hand on a LF camera. Never.

In that case go for it, you will still waste lots of sheets. Find a jobo drum that will take 10x8 I can't remember the product number but it's the one with chambers like a revolver. If you do B&W the jobo machine for the drum is not necessary at this stage, I've used my drum rolling up and down the table. I found the drum the most reliable easy way to get even consistent dev on sheet film. If you don't have easy access to a dark darkroom you might want to budget for a changing ten.
10x8 makes for beautiful contacts.

Kevin.

Kevin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad