Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Pilings, Puget Sound  (Read 3988 times)
jasonrandolph

« on: December 10, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
ReplyReply

I shot this over 5 years ago, but only recently spotted in my LR catalog.  What do you all think?

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »
ReplyReply

It's quite lovely. Nice composition and beautiful tonalities. I wish i had taken it.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
shutterpup

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
ReplyReply

I had to look twice at the location info you provided. In the subject matter and tonality, it is reminiscent of those beautiful, simple, elegant shots of the Asian landscape. I too wish I had taken it.
kikashi

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
ReplyReply

It's quite lovely. Nice composition and beautiful tonalities. I wish i had taken it.

Eric
So do I. Great sky!

Jeremy
spbimages

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »
ReplyReply

I like the tone/mood of the image very much. But I would have cropped off the bottom a little bit. May when you took it there was more interest in the sky along with the pilings.

Good work,
Steve
wolfnowl

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Put me in the 'great work' group, but like Steve I'd be tempted to remove a bit from the bottom, just to offset the 'everything centered' look.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
jasonrandolph

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.  I'll play around with the cropping to see what works best.

kikashi

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
ReplyReply

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.  I'll play around with the cropping to see what works best.
Shh! Don't tell Russ!

If you do, he'll say what I (an avid cropper, when I think the need arises) would say regarding this shot: leave it alone.

Jeremy
shutterpup

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:48:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Those of you who want to crop the bottom: just how much? Will it improve or destroy the balance of the picture?
jasonrandolph

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
ReplyReply

The reflection of the sky's light definitely will stay.  I think that's an essential element.

After messing around with crops, I think it works best as-is.  I'm partial to the square format anyway, which is why I cropped it this way initially.  Regardless, thanks for the continued feedback.

David Saffir

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
ReplyReply

very nicely done - dark and moody - I like the stormy sky and its reflection. The pilings add a spiky contrast to the softer rounded cloud shapes. Have you considered cropping a bit of the foreground?

David Saffir

GuruShots Photo Critique
If you'd like pro advice and full professional critique
see GuruShots Photo Critique. I'm a contributor there.

Alan Klein

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 07:44:41 AM »
ReplyReply

I like the foreboding sky.   I'm in the crop bottom camp.  Right below the darker slice section of reflected sky that is lighter.  Then the bottom and the top act as bookends for the main subject in the middle.  Otherwise the gray at the bottom pulls your eye away from the subject.   But it's a good shot regardless.  Alan
jule

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »
ReplyReply

The reflection of the sky's light definitely will stay.  I think that's an essential element.

After messing around with crops, I think it works best as-is.  I'm partial to the square format anyway, which is why I cropped it this way initially.  Regardless, thanks for the continued feedback.

Yep... Jason I agree that the balance between the moodiness of the sky and the foreground is just perfect. I wouldn't crop a thing.

Julie

RSL

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:16:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Good for you, Julie.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Having tried cropping a little off the bottom I must say I agree with Jeremy, Julie and Russ: Jason got it right the first time. No crop needed.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

jasonrandolph

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 06:11:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Many thanks for the feedback from all of you.

popnfresh
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
ReplyReply

It's a good photograph, but it bothers me that some of the pilings are tangent with the tree line. They're a bit too far back from the foreground. I think you needed a slightly higher camera angle on this.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:18:33 PM by popnfresh » Logged
jule

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 05:08:29 AM »
ReplyReply

It's a good photograph, but it bothers me that some of the pilings are tangent with the tree line. They're a bit too far back from the foreground. I think you needed a slightly higher camera angle on this.
hmmm ..interesting thought popnfresh, but if the camera was higher, the outside pilings in particular would have no visual attachment to the other elements and the pilings would just be isolated visually in the water. I personally think the camera angle as is, provides a visual link between the pilings and the background. The lights at the tops of the outer ones provide just enough feature to provide differentiation.
Julie

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
ReplyReply

hmmm ..interesting thought popnfresh, but if the camera was higher, the outside pilings in particular would have no visual attachment to the other elements and the pilings would just be isolated visually in the water. I personally think the camera angle as is, provides a visual link between the pilings and the background. The lights at the tops of the outer ones provide just enough feature to provide differentiation.
Julie
Again I agree, and again I say: Jason got it right the first time.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

popnfresh
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 01:18:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Julie
I think the pilings would work better as graphic elements if they weren't touching the tree line. So yes, I think the photograph would be more interesting visually if they were isolated in the water.
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad