Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: An attempt at landscape ... and horses!  (Read 3136 times)
langier

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:11 AM »
ReplyReply

I concur with Alain.

The original images are very static with the centered horizons and too much white. Less is more...

As I say to people, your camera isn't a gun to be aimed for the bull's eye!

Take a look at his version. IMO, it's close to being a winner!

Larry Angier
ASMP, NAPP, ACT, and many more!

Webmaster, RANGE magazine
Editor emeritus, NorCal Quarterly

web--http://www.angier-fox.photoshelter.com
facebook--larry.angier
twitter--#larryangier
google+LarryAngier
RSL

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
ReplyReply

IMO, it's close to being a winner!

IMO the word that accurately describes it is "mundane." The whole point of Sayeed's original picture was the relatively small, colored horses, munching away in a very large, quiet world of white. The expanse of the field and the widespread sound-suppressing snow are essential elements of what that picture was about. With those elements gone the picture is pretty much what any passing tourist might shoot.

Also, I've seen enough of Alain's work to know he can do a lot better than that.

RSL

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
ReplyReply

Damn - that's the second time recently that I've sided with the non-croppers. Are you sending something infectious through my keyboard, Russ?

Jeremy, No, it's nothing I'm doing. It's the onset of what Eastern philosophers call "enlightenment."

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Jeremy, No, it's nothing I'm doing. It's the onset of what Eastern philosophers call "enlightenment."
Grin

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
deeyas

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Thank you all for your insightful comments! The main reason I post on forums is to get the various perspectives of seasoned photographers; this website and forum has certainly shaped my photographic knowledge and interests over the years.

I do like the landscape orientation that Alain posted; that is something that I hadn't visualized while shooting. After a side-by-side comparison of the vertical Vs. Horizontal, I am still attracted to the vertical one. I did think (and try) B&W, but the hint of color in the branches and the horses is what attracted me to the scene in the first place, so I decided to stick with it. The reason I had stopped and gotten out of the car in the slush was to somehow capture the minimal color in the vast white expanse. I've scaled back on the grain further (I wish I could add grain with the adjustment brush to give the snow more texture) and will play with the other levels while printing.

kikashi

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 03:54:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Touché!

Jeremy
Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad