Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Formerly Know As: still life with bust  (Read 1342 times)
Bruce Cox

« on: May 15, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Light through a window this weekend presented what looked like an opportunity.  Please critique this result.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:28:53 AM by Bruce Cox » Logged
Rob C

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:34 AM »
ReplyReply

Light through a window this weekend presented what looked like an opportunity.  Please critique this result.

Bruce

I usually refrain from commenting here, as Kirk will verify, but I think your title is very misleading: where the hell's the bust?

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:23:14 AM »
ReplyReply

I can see a potential image here but some cropping will have to be done to the sides and bottom. The head has already been cropped when you pressed the shutter button. A better composition would have been better at the point of capture? Some nice side lighting on the bust. My take on the cropping but others may suggest something better? Wink

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
ReplyReply

I usually refrain from commenting here, as Kirk will verify, but I think your title is very misleading: where the hell's the bust?

Rob C
From the free online dictionary: "2. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) a sculpture of the head, shoulders, and upper chest of a person."

In the art world, a "bust" doesn't have to include the part that you prefer to focus on, Rob.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Bruce Cox

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Rob C

My apologies:  Knowing I was wrong, I had consulted a dictionary, which confirmed it, but I wished to pose behind a classy title. ["classy title" being another way of saying {Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms}]  I do not often enough stop to consider the pain I may inflict by not being more simply accurate.  And it is hard to argue that it would not be better off with a bust.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:56:24 AM by Bruce Cox » Logged
popnfresh
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
ReplyReply

I can see a potential image here but some cropping will have to be done to the sides and bottom. The head has already been cropped when you pressed the shutter button. A better composition would have been better at the point of capture? Some nice side lighting on the bust. My take on the cropping but others may suggest something better? Wink

I think your crop is an improvement. Good call.
Bruce Cox

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »
ReplyReply

The movement of the sun had cropped the top of the head this late in the shoot.  I tried to apply your idea to an earlier frame with more hair [there were 69, what with wind in the trees making the light move and flicker], but came back to this one.  Thanks, for the help.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:15:36 PM by Bruce Cox » Logged
popnfresh
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »
ReplyReply

The movement of the sun had cropped the top of the head this late in the shoot.  I tried to apply your idea to an earlier frame with more hair [there were 69, what with wind in the trees making the light move and flicker], but came back to this one.  Thanks, for the help.

Frankly, I prefer stamper's crop.
Rob C

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Frankly, when you get short-changed in the bust department, art flies oot the windae, as they might say in Scotland (help, stamper, can't spell the lingo!)

Okay, declaration: of course bust was the correct word; just trying to lift my gloom is all. Oy veh, already!

; - (

Rob C

Bruce Cox

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Frankly, when you get short-changed in the bust department, art flies oot the windae, as they might say in Scotland (help, stamper, can't spell the lingo!)

Okay, declaration: of course bust was the correct word; just trying to lift my gloom is all. Oy veh, already!

; - (

Rob C

Sometimes, I scare too easily; it was quite early in the morning here...

Bruce
Bruce Cox

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Frankly, I prefer stamper's crop.

I don't know if it argues for the crop one way or the other, but because stamper's thumbnail was brighter than mine and because I had not reprocessed the file [other than sharpening] when I cropped it,  I brightened it, etc.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:39:50 AM by Bruce Cox » Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad