Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Do I look like I was born yesterday?  (Read 5926 times)
PeterAit

« on: June 28, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Dear Photographer,

Please send me a few of your best images along with $20 for each image. We will then have an unlimited royalty-free license to use your image in any way we want FOREVER. In return, you will have a minuscule chance to win one of a few petty prizes.

Aren't you lucky to have this opportunity?

Sincerely,

The American Photo Images of the Year Contest

Criminy, how can I set up a scam like this for myself?

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Unfortunately, that seems to be the "brave new world" of photographic contests these days. It is next to impossible to find no-fee contests, or no rights-grab contests, let alone the two combined. Angry

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
RSL

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
ReplyReply

What you say certainly is true Slobodan. To me the most serious part of the problem is the attempted rights-grab. "Black and White" mag is one of the few that doesn't grab rights, though they do charge a fee, which seems reasonable considering (1) the logistics involved in handling and reviewing the entries, and (2) the fact that without a fee they'd probably find themselves submerged under the kind of crap we see every day.

But, as the photo magazines know, Barnum seriously underestimated the situation.

ckimmerle

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »
ReplyReply

It is next to impossible to find no-fee contests, or no rights-grab contests...

There are plenty of legitimate contests/pubs that don't demand usage rights.

Some of the more prestigious:

Center for Fine Art Photography
Mpls Photo Center
B&W/Color
Black and White
Lenswork
IPA
Silver Eye

As for fees...why would you expect to enter a contest for free? Is there no potential benefit to you? Granted, many arts organizations charge fees primarily to fund annual operating expenses, but that's fine with me as long as they give something back to the arts community.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

Chuck Kimmerle
WWW.CHUCKKIMMERLE.COM
PeterAit

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
ReplyReply

I can live with a modest fee, and I can live with the sponsor getting some rights to the winning photos - but not to every single entry.

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
ckimmerle

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »
ReplyReply

I can live with a modest fee, and I can live with the sponsor getting some rights to the winning photos - but not to every single entry.

+1

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

Chuck Kimmerle
WWW.CHUCKKIMMERLE.COM
bill t.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
ReplyReply

IMHO contests have never been a good idea for the artists involved.  At the very least your work is exposed to the judgement of pedants and crooks.  At the very best, you will be vetted by artistically competent judges with very large axes to grind.

There is only one contest worth entering.  It is the Concours de Credit Card.  The guy with the most swipes wins.  It may or may not be fair and the rules are not always clear, but the results are hard to challenge.
ckimmerle

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »
ReplyReply

IMHO contests have never been a good idea for the artists involved.  At the very least your work is exposed to the judgement of pedants and crooks.  At the very best, you will be vetted by artistically competent judges with very large axes to grind.

Wow...that's a pretty sweeping statement. As Bill  NICK Brandt just juried an exhibit that I will be part of, I'm curious in which category you would place him, crook or axe grinder?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:14:31 AM by ckimmerle » Logged

Chuck Kimmerle
WWW.CHUCKKIMMERLE.COM
Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
ReplyReply

... There is only one contest worth entering.  It is the Concours de Credit Card.  The guy with the most swipes wins.  It may or may not be fair and the rules are not always clear, but the results are hard to challenge.

As I mentioned before, it that were true, than the most majestic cultural masterpiece humanity has come up with over millennia would be... say... Grand Theft Auto, with billions of dollars racked up. Move over Shakespeare.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
ReplyReply

e
... As for fees...why would you expect to enter a contest for free?...

Oh, I do not know... maybe because they used to be free (at least in major photographic magazines)? Maybe because magazines used them as a promotional, brand-building tool, to increase their readership and circulation (and thus their ad revenue)?

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
bill t.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Wow...that's a pretty sweeping statement. As Bill Brandt just juried an exhibit that I will be part of, I'm curious in which category you would place him, crook or axe grinder?

A photo contest judged from the grave?  Could be interesting!

But the correct category is: guy who short-circuited an entire generation of photographers by the example of printing everything on #5 Brovira, and way too dark at that.  The higher grades of Brovira were a reliable substitute for talent, and gawd how I miss them.

And, I have good information that Shakespeare wrote plays in large part for the money.  Normal expectations aside, one is not actually required to go broke in the making of art, or make excuses in the harsh light of financial success.

But having judged quite a few contests and exhibits, I'll stick with my swipe-count competitions, and countless gallery owners will back me up.  There is a purity to such simple tallies not usually seen on the judging panel where the lateness of the day and the condition of one's digestive tract too often dictate the winners.
Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
ReplyReply

IMHO contests have never been a good idea for the artists involved.  At the very least your work is exposed to the judgement of pedants and crooks.  At the very best, you will be vetted by artistically competent judges with very large axes to grind.

There is only one contest worth entering.  It is the Concours de Credit Card.  The guy with the most swipes wins.  It may or may not be fair and the rules are not always clear, but the results are hard to challenge.

Bugger this: I just lost the entire reply because I hit inside the Preview area instead of making a correction in the proper space. Anyway, I try again.

This new game strikes me as blatant infringement of copyright of that other game: Life. There, the rules are similar and just as simple: the guy who dies with the most toys wins.

And just in case anyone doubts the popularity of the game, be aware that millions play it right up to the moment when Charon sounds the ferry horn.

Rob C

ckimmerle

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »
ReplyReply

A photo contest judged from the grave?  Could be interesting!

Sorry, it was NICK Brandt. Brain malfunction. I'm sure, though, he was channeling Bill

Chuck Kimmerle
WWW.CHUCKKIMMERLE.COM
DennisWilliams

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »
ReplyReply

How freak'n scary is that.  I've chided myself for using #3 Seagull all these years. Now I am so glad I changed since negatives that print on 3 scan much better than those that print on 2.
EduPerez

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Unfortunately, "there's a sucker born every minute"...

kikashi

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 02:39:51 AM »
ReplyReply

That reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once on a Bentley: "The one who dies with the most toys wins".

Jeremy
Rob C

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
ReplyReply

That reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once on a Bentley: "The one who dies with the most toys wins".

Jeremy

I'm glad your experience echoes mine of five post earlier...

;-)

Rob C

kikashi

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm glad your experience echoes mine of five post earlier...

;-)

Rob C
I'd missed it, Rob. Sorry.

Jeremy
Rob C

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »
ReplyReply

I'd missed it, Rob. Sorry.

Jeremy

But, together, and independently, we proved the Rules of the Game of Life!

Rob C

fike

Hiker Photographer

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 09:42:46 AM »
ReplyReply

It IS too bad that these contests want to take the rights to images.  Everyone is trying to make something for nothing. 

I generally think copyright is overblown.  This series of interesting videos about creativity and ownership of ideas and art is a pretty good summary of my feelings on the matter.

http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

I think this is part of the reason that I have focused on very large, very high resolution images. The are, still, pretty hard to steal.  I have a 300 DPI print on my wall that is 3' x 6'.  The ability to make that print is contingent on my performance of numerous arts: from capture, to printing to mounting.  It is also contingent on my investments in equipment.  Just because I post a 1600x1000 pixel image online or send a 13x19 to a contest, doesn't mean anyone can steal this large representation from me (taking ownership is another story). 

Anyone can take a picture of that arch in Arches National Park and sell it.  There are gazillion of shots of the sun coming under the arch.  Can you say you own the copyright on an image of that. 

And finally...with tongue in cheek...I offer this: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110706/00200314983/monkey-business-can-monkey-license-its-copyrights-to-news-agency.shtml

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
marcshaffer.net
TrailPixie.net

I carry an M43 ILC, a couple of good lenses, and a tripod.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad