Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: 32 or 64 bit?  (Read 4873 times)
Morris Taub

« on: July 25, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
ReplyReply

I've been playing with Lightroom 3 in 32 and 64 bit and don't see any difference...I'm on a macbook pro with 4gb of ram...should 64 bit make a difference with only 4gb of ram?...I guess I have the same question about Photoshop CS5...I'm not seeing any difference there either...in photoshop i allot 65 percent to memory...

digitaldog

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »
ReplyReply

You are kind of on the cusp of where 64-bit would be useful in terms of accessing more memory. IOW, upgrade more memory, the application will use it. With 4 gigs, you just don’t have that much more being accessed (if any) between the two environments.

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »
ReplyReply

I've been playing with Lightroom 3 in 32 and 64 bit and don't see any difference...I'm on a macbook pro with 4gb of ram...should 64 bit make a difference with only 4gb of ram?...I guess I have the same question about Photoshop CS5...I'm not seeing any difference there either...in photoshop i allot 65 percent to memory...

The main difference between 32 and 64 bit versions is the ability to access RAM. The 32 bit version can access about 4 GB, the 64 bit version a whole lot more. So, with only 4 GB in your computer you won't see much difference. Put in 16 GB and you will - assuming that you images and workflow need it.

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
ReplyReply

I don't think 4 GB ram is enough to warrant bothering with 64. But a couple of months ago I finally got my first 64-bit PC, running Windows 7 and with 12GB ram installed (and room for another 12 when I get greedy). Finally, CS5 and LR3 are both a joy to use and I can even use layers when I want to without spending half my life waiting for something to happen.

Add more ram if you can or upgrade to a model that lets you. It will make a huge difference.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Morris Taub

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:58:23 AM »
ReplyReply

alright, thanks for confirming what I thought...i can buy a 4gb stick of memory and upgrade my laptop to 6gb for 100 euros...is this worth doing to a three year old computer?...actually older, april 2008 macbook pro...i'm ok with performance...would the extra 2gb make things much faster?...I'm kinda thinking to maybe leave things as is and wait till i upgrade the computer in a year or so...

Hans Kruse

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:16:47 AM »
ReplyReply

alright, thanks for confirming what I thought...i can buy a 4gb stick of memory and upgrade my laptop to 6gb for 100 euros...is this worth doing to a three year old computer?...actually older, april 2008 macbook pro...i'm ok with performance...would the extra 2gb make things much faster?...I'm kinda thinking to maybe leave things as is and wait till i upgrade the computer in a year or so...

8GB is worth it if you run many other applications at the same time a Lightroom. If you only run Lightroom it may use a bit over 4GB but not a huge speed difference. I worked with 4GB on my MBP for about half a year since the MBP from 2009 I have was very expensive on RAM at the time. But check that you MBP can be upgraded to 8GB and it most likely requires 2x4GB sticks (as mine did)

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:08:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

My experience has been that 64 bits may slow down Lightroom if used with little physical memory. So I suggest that it may be best to use 32-bits with 4 GByte or less.

Best regards
Erik

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
ReplyReply

This may sound like a dumb question, but I recently upgraded to a new Mac with 16gb of RAM.  How do I know if I am running LR in 32 or 64 bit mode?
Scott Hargis

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
ReplyReply

In the "splash" screen, as LR starts up, it says either "32x" or "64x". On a Mac, you can also click the LR application icon, and "Get Info" - in the window that opens you can toggle between 32 and 64 bit, applied at the next launch of the program.

<a href="http://www.scotthargisphoto.com">Website</a>
David Hufford

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Contrary to the experience of others here, my iMac with 4gb RAM performs noticeably faster with 64 bits (Both Mac and LR set to 64 bits). I don't even bother with 32 anymore for Lightroom. In fact, if I forget and start the computer in 32 and use LR set at 64, I can clearly tell from the poorer performance that I forgot. Maybe this should not be so, but it is with mine.

*Never fall in love with anything that can't love you back*
Schewe

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:58:37 PM »
ReplyReply

So I suggest that it may be best to use 32-bits with 4 GByte or less.

I disagree...while you WON'T get the bennies of more than 4 gigs of ram, the Develop module and exporting will be 10-15% faster under 64-bit vs 32-bit. Not everything in Lightroom will be faster...the UI for example. But any processor intensive activities will see an improvement.
Morris Taub

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 05:52:34 AM »
ReplyReply

I disagree...while you WON'T get the bennies of more than 4 gigs of ram, the Develop module and exporting will be 10-15% faster under 64-bit vs 32-bit. Not everything in Lightroom will be faster...the UI for example. But any processor intensive activities will see an improvement.

what about CS5...any improvement in photoshop?...

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »
ReplyReply

In the "splash" screen, as LR starts up, it says either "32x" or "64x". On a Mac, you can also click the LR application icon, and "Get Info" - in the window that opens you can toggle between 32 and 64 bit, applied at the next launch of the program.

Thanks for that - I am running in 64-bit after all!
bjanes

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Here are some official data from Adobe for Photoshop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404901.html

Regards,

Bill

Morris Taub

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
ReplyReply

Here are some official data from Adobe for Photoshop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404901.html

Regards,

Bill

thanks for this link, Bill...

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 04:03:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi!

What I have noted that the memory image will be bigger with 64 bits, at the time I was checking LR could use around 6 GByte virtual memory while I had only 3 GByte in the iMac I had at that time. Using 32 bits limited the VM image to 4 GByte.

At that time I had many of those "spinning parasols" and I had the impression there was less swapping from/to disk with 32 bits than with 64 bits. Since than I use 64 bits on a MacPro with 16 GByte of memory and spinning parasols are memories...

Best regards
Erik

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad