Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Printing - Arghhh!!!!  (Read 26768 times)
cats_five

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Like 'Managed by Application' in this screen?

Color by Sal Woo, on Flickr

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Is there a "no colour management" option?  Like Nick, I'm not familiar with the HP driver terminology.  That is probably what you're after, though, if there's no option for "no colour management".

As to the media saying to use Hi-gloss film, well, I don't know what media you're using, but it doesn't sound at all correct.

cats_five

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 03:29:19 AM »
ReplyReply

OK, I have uploaded another shot of the color tab in the print driver dialog, which shows all the colour management options:

ColorManagement by Sal Woo, on Flickr

As you can see, the choices are ColourSmart/sRGB, AdobeRGB, Managed by Application and ICM.  Since Photoshop should be doing the colour management, Managed by Application looks like the right one to me.

Hi-gloss file is a type of HP paper - their "glossiest inkjet film", and is nothing to do with films in the more normal sense, or with printing on OHP transparencies:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/nz/en/ho/WF06c/A1-12771-215521-79226-79226-83310-16167.html

Farmer

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Ok - Choose managed by application.

Now, for the "cheap" paper you're using, you should get an ICC profile for it - using the profile for any other paper will likely give poor results.  HP's horrible nomenclature notwithstanding, I'd still look at choosing something else unless the 3rd party paper specifically says to use that setting (in which case use whatever it specifically says to use, of course).

cats_five

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »
ReplyReply

I did use 'managed by application'.

I switched to trying Ilford Smooth Pearl as I used to get excellent prints using that with this particular printer.

I downloaded the Ilford ICC profile and that's what is in Printer profile in the setup page, there isn't anywhere else obvious to put it in the various driver pages.

Farmer

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 04:25:32 AM »
ReplyReply

The profile doesn't get used by the driver, it gets used by Photoshop and that's where you need to choose it.

cats_five

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 04:59:18 AM »
ReplyReply

The box labeled 'Printer Profile' containing the name of the ICC file (IGSPP9_HP8450_PHGF.icc) is in the print setup dialog from Photoshop.  Is that the right place?

Farmer

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Yes, but if that's a profile for HP paper and you're not using HP paper then it's the wrong profile - you need one for the paper you're actually using.

cats_five

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
ReplyReply

It's the name of the downloaded profile for the Ilford paper I am using.

RobSaecker

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
ReplyReply

This may have nothing to do with what you're experiencing, but I reccently had a similar experience with my HP B9180. Despite all my efforts, all of my prints looked terrible. In my case it turned out one of the print heads was not applying any ink, despite the fact that the printer diagnostics claimed that the condition of the head was "fair". 

I'd suggest printing a test page to see what you get, if you haven't done so already.

Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com
cats_five

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 02:47:57 AM »
ReplyReply

I did a test page when I revived the printer, after a couple of cleans it was OK.  Thanks for the thought though.

I've not had time to look further at this this week due to work (customer upgrade all gone pear-shaped, live box was toast, we had to substitute the test box), but hope to revisit it this weekend.

Sharon Van Lieu

Nantucket Landscape and Architectural Photographer

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 06:19:53 AM »
ReplyReply

I highly recommend the original Camera to Print videos in the Luminous Landscape store. They take you step by step through the process of printing and should help you tremendously. There is a new set of videos but it isn't complete yet and won't be for a couple of months. If you can wait, then those would be a great choice.

Somewhere, your settings are wrong to produce the prints you are showing but I am not familiar with your printer. Maybe if you posted this question in this section, someone there might be able to answer your question -

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Sharon

Les Sparks

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
ReplyReply

This might be a long shot, but try the 8450 forum at photo-i. There are several threads about the 8450 there and one of them might help.
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=bc19343548b228f68b197861780959bb

You might also get some suggestions from the review of the 8450 on the same site.
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/HP%208450/page-1.htm
Good luck.

Les

cats_five

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 07:17:55 AM »
ReplyReply

An 8450 forum sounds very useful - I didn't manage to find one.  Thanks.

cats_five

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
ReplyReply

And they have suspended new logins because of spamming problems...   Cry

Les Sparks

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »
ReplyReply

If you haven't already looked at the HP site on color management for your printer,
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00286904&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=209&product=402150&rule=15619&lang=en&printable=no you might find something there to help.

I used to have an HP (not your model) and color management was often a problem.

Good luck
Les

cats_five

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks.  Sorry for the delay replying, I have had a very busy time at work and also a PC problem.

luxborealis

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 06:27:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Here's a thought I don't think I saw expressed anywhere - are you using HP original inks? If not, or if only one of them is not HP original, or if you are refilling your own, all bets are off on producing consistent colour. Off-brands do not have the consistency standards required for high quality photo printing.

Terry McDonald
Revealing the art inherent in nature
- visit luxBorealis.com.
Have a read of my PhotoBlog and subscribe!
cats_five

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 02:11:41 AM »
ReplyReply

Yes, HP original inks.

Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad