Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Andreas Gursky's Rhein II  (Read 100713 times)
Isaac

« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
ReplyReply

So you haven't actually seen a Gursky original print at all then ?

Asked and answered.

At least my comment...

comment #45

You got that it was big :-)
Rhossydd

« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Asked and answered.
Actually you haven't answered, because I asked if you'd seen any Gursky original, not just RheinII, but I assume your answer will still be no.

You need to see an original to get any sort of understanding of his work.
Isaac

« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Actually you haven't answered, because I asked if you'd seen any Gursky original, not just RheinII, but I assume your answer will still be no.

I asked where are the other 4 prints of Rhein II, so people could follow your injunction to see the work themselves.

From there you jumped to the conclusion that I haven't seen any Gursky original -- your reasoning is broken, and as a matter of fact wrong.
Rhossydd

« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
ReplyReply

I asked where are the other 4 prints of Rhein II,
I don't know.
From there you jumped to the conclusion that I haven't seen any Gursky original -- your reasoning is broken, and as a matter of fact wrong.
When you fail to answer......

So which Gursky originals have you seen and what did you think of them ? Did you see them before you knew of their valuations ? if so did seeing the originals change your view of their worth ?
RSL

« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2013, 03:06:14 PM »
ReplyReply

I asked where are the other 4 prints of Rhein II, so people could follow your injunction to see the work themselves.

So this is what you mean by " hectoring questions, supportive comments, comedic asides, personal anecdotes." I'd say the activities pretty much end after the first one.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
ReplyReply

So this is what you mean by " hectoring questions, supportive comments, comedic asides, personal anecdotes." I'd say the activities pretty much end after the first one.
+1.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
ReplyReply

A wise man recently said:

... I have sometimes thought he might let go of subjects a bit sooner...

Wink

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Isaac

« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Nothing there that expresses an opinion on photography as an art form.
Nothing there that says anything about Gursky's photography.

Physician, heal thyself
RSL

« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Isaac. You confirmed what I said.

Isaac

« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Isaac. You confirmed what I said.

Russ, what you said cannot be true -- my words, which you quote, contain no questions.
AFairley

« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
ReplyReply

This thread reminds me of when tried to pull a stick out of a girlfriend's dog's mouth.  I pulled and he clamped down and resisted.  I'd pull harder, he'd clamp down and pull back harder, I'd lighten up, he'd relax. So we're standing there each pulling on the stick, and I looked into his eyes and there was absolutely no one at home.

Back to topic, although IMO anyone who pays $4 million for a contemporary photograph has more money than sense, I expect the Gurskys are very impressive seen in person.  I understand that Eli Broad is quite a Gursky collector, so I am hoping there will a few on display at the Broad Museum when it opens next year.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:00:54 PM by AFairley » Logged

Isaac

« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
ReplyReply

When you fail to answer...

When I fail to answer, you are not compelled to make up answers.

So which Gursky originals have you seen and what did you think of them ? Did you see them before you knew of their valuations ? if so did seeing the originals change your view of their worth ?

Hong Kong Stock Exchange, don't remember, don't remember, don't remember (but my usual view is that a thing is worth what someone will pay).

You didn't offer your answers to those questions -- and that's OK.
Rhossydd

« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
ReplyReply

you are not compelled to make up answers.
Not compelled, no, but no answer is often answer enough.
You didn't offer your answers to those questions -- and that's OK.
Why would I answer questions no one asked ?
Don't remember
You saw a photo six feet high and over fourteen feet wide by one the world's most famous photographers and you can't remember what you thought of it.
Isaac

« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Not compelled, no, but no answer is often answer enough.

Your mistaken assumptions are just that -- yours.

Why would I answer questions no one asked ?

You asked them. I thought they might be questions that genuinely interested you.

You saw a photo six feet high and over fourteen feet wide by one the world's most famous photographers and you can't remember what you thought of it.

You already covered the obvious answer to what everyone thinks when they see a photo six feet high and over fourteen feet wide :-)

I guess you aren't going to say anything about globalization.
AFairley

« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Still nobody home.....

Isaac

« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
ReplyReply

No Back to topic fig leaf ?

Credit where it's due, only Ray seems to have had an informed opinion about Rhein II.
RSL

« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Still nobody home.....

Exactly.

fredjeang2

« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2013, 03:29:17 AM »
ReplyReply

This thread reminds me a little bit
The usual comments on Picasso:
"It's kid's paintings, anybody can do it"
Rob C

« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2013, 04:18:24 AM »
ReplyReply

This thread reminds me of when tried to pull a stick out of a girlfriend's dog's mouth.  I pulled and he clamped down and resisted.  I'd pull harder, he'd clamp down and pull back harder, I'd lighten up, he'd relax. So we're standing there each pulling on the stick, and I looked into his eyes and there was absolutely no one at home.Back to topic, although IMO anyone who pays $4 million for a contemporary photograph has more money than sense, I expect the Gurskys are very impressive seen in person.  I understand that Eli Broad is quite a Gursky collector, so I am hoping there will a few on display at the Broad Museum when it opens next year.

We used to have a dog - an alsabrador - and about twenty-five or so cats all at the same time.

I used to play with the pooch on the beach; she'd pick up amazingly large branches and run with them, head up high.

I'd catch one end, start to swing, and within seconds she's be hanging on in space, going round and round as I spun. I can tell you: those eyes were never empty. You could read them, never more so than on the stormy morning that she died, across my knees on the cold kitchen floor after the vet gave her her last jab. Moments before she'd been standing stock still, head hanging, as my wife tried to speak to her as the vet got ready. She offered my wife her paw... None of us had empty eyes.

The cats? They were like their bigger cousins: inscrutable. Even with a pigeon under one paw.

Rob C

ripgriffith

« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
ReplyReply

g.

Such 'art' was never intended for mere mortals; maybe we should just smile and forget it; better still, provide it!

Rob C
+1 (emphasis mine)
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad