Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Andreas Gursky's Rhein II  (Read 98587 times)
Dave (Isle of Skye)

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.

« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »
ReplyReply

This thread reminds me of when tried to pull a stick out of a girlfriend's dog's mouth.  I pulled and he clamped down and resisted.  I'd pull harder, he'd clamp down and pull back harder, I'd lighten up, he'd relax. So we're standing there each pulling on the stick, and I looked into his eyes and there was absolutely no one at home.

Yet I'll wager the dog still had the stick in the end - so there must be some kind of moral in there somewhere I think  Grin

We used to have a dog - an alsabrador - and about twenty-five or so cats all at the same time.

I used to play with the pooch on the beach; she'd pick up amazingly large branches and run with them, head up high.

I'd catch one end, start to swing, and within seconds she's be hanging on in space, going round and round as I spun. I can tell you: those eyes were never empty. You could read them, never more so than on the stormy morning that she died, across my knees on the cold kitchen floor after the vet gave her her last jab. Moments before she'd been standing stock still, head hanging, as my wife tried to speak to her as the vet got ready. She offered my wife her paw... None of us had empty eyes.

The cats? They were like their bigger cousins: inscrutable. Even with a pigeon under one paw.

Rob C

Rob, been there, done that and cried like a baby for weeks after, we would love another mutt, but it is just too heart rending at the end  Cry

Dave

Fine Art Photography on the Misty Isle of Skye
http://www.photography.info
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Perhaps LuLa needs a new Forum area, perhaps called "Dogs and Sticks." Then this thread, and a few others, might appropriately be moved there.   Grin  Roll Eyes

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Isaac

« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Perhaps called Sticks & Stones.
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Or Old Dogs, No New Tricks?

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
WalterEG

« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Or Old Dogs, No New Tricks?

What a gem!!  I love it!

W
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »
ReplyReply

What a gem!!  I love it!

W
+1.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Rob C

« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2013, 02:34:56 AM »
ReplyReply

Yet I'll wager the dog still had the stick in the end - so there must be some kind of moral in there somewhere I think  Grin

Rob, been there, done that and cried like a baby for weeks after, we would love another mutt, but it is just too heart rending at the end  CryDave

We had two over the years, and your reason for final non-replacement mirrored ours. I'd love another large one now, but with my wife gone, myself with health issues and little youth left, it wouldn't be fair to the animal when I go.

The experience of returning to an empty property, no welcoming barks, was devasting. As is the sense of uncertainty now, without the early-warning system that a light-sleeping guard provides... having a ground-floor apartment, every time I dump myself down on the typist chair at the computer I find myself having to lock the terrace doors. You just never know who's going to wander around looking like a gardener, a plumber or a meter reader and be none of those. Or even just loose kids. They are quite often feral.

Rob C

mezzoduomo

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »
ReplyReply

We had two over the years, and your reason for final non-replacement mirrored ours. I'd love another large one now, but with my wife gone, myself with health issues and little youth left, it wouldn't be fair to the animal when I go.

The experience of returning to an empty property, no welcoming barks, was devasting. As is the sense of uncertainty now, without the early-warning system that a light-sleeping guard provides... having a ground-floor apartment, every time I dump myself down on the typist chair at the computer I find myself having to lock the terrace doors. You just never know who's going to wander around looking like a gardener, a plumber or a meter reader and be none of those. Or even just loose kids. They are quite often feral.

Rob C

Rob, I think you should get yourself a dog...maybe a smaller one this time.
You could lay some plans for the dog's future should something happen to you.  The dog will adjust very well to new circumstances, at least that's been my experience.
Rob C

« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Rob, I think you should get yourself a dog...maybe a smaller one this time.
You could lay some plans for the dog's future should something happen to you.  The dog will adjust very well to new circumstances, at least that's been my experience.

How do I replace this tower of strength, teeth and fierce family love?

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:04:27 AM by Rob C » Logged

RSL

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
ReplyReply

You can't, Rob. We went through the same thing. Had a beautiful, motherly Dobe, and what a friend named one day when I was walking the dogs: "Oh, you have one of those." We finally had to put down the "one of those" when her hip aplasia became so painful that she couldn't walk. Then, one evening the Dobe unexpectedly put her nose on my lap and said, "I love you," went to my wife and said the same thing, went outside through her doggie door and, as soon as she got outside, had a heart attack or a stroke. You can't replace dogs like those, though you might be able to find a new love.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
ReplyReply

You can't, Rob. We went through the same thing. Had a beautiful, motherly Dobe, and what a friend named one day when I was walking the dogs: "Oh, you have one of those." We finally had to put down the "one of those" when her hip aplasia became so painful that she couldn't walk. Then, one evening the Dobe unexpectedly put her nose on my lap and said, "I love you," went to my wife and said the same thing, went outside through her doggie door and, as soon as she got outside, had a heart attack or a stroke. You can't replace dogs like those, though you might be able to find a new love.

+1!
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad