Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 1990 times)
Rajan Parrikar

« on: November 14, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Vatnaöldur, southern Highlands of Iceland.

kikashi

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
ReplyReply

Amazing! What's the explanation?

Jeremy

(no, I don't accept the idea that knowledge of the science defeats the wonder at the artistry)
Rajan Parrikar

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Amazing! What's the explanation?

Jeremy

(no, I don't accept the idea that knowledge of the science defeats the wonder at the artistry)

The red is ferrous and other oxides, the bright yellow is exposed tufa rock, I think. (I looked up "Icelandic Geology" by Thordarson but didn't find mention of this particular site.)  This kind of red staining is quite a common sight especially in the area near Veišivötn.

Josh-H

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Rajan, Wonderful photograph!

degrub
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
ReplyReply

The bright yellow is likely sulfur.
louoates

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
ReplyReply

This is one of those great but unfortunate shots where the truly unusual natural occurrence looks like an image defect.
Rajan Parrikar

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
ReplyReply

This is one of those great but unfortunate shots where the truly unusual natural occurrence looks like an image defect.

There's another shot of it on the web -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raudkollur/4863406754/

John R

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Maybe bleeding, but it looks more like the iron has been kissed by light. Wonderful landscape.

JMR
louoates

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:10:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Your flikr version solves that problem, at least for me.
wolfnowl

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:32:14 AM »
ReplyReply

The hue difference between the two images is really quite astounding.  The one posted here looks almost magenta, while the Flickr version is more of a, well, rust colour.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
kikashi

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »
ReplyReply

The hue difference between the two images is really quite astounding.  The one posted here looks almost magenta, while the Flickr version is more of a, well, rust colour.
FWIW, good as the photo above is, I think the Flickr image is a stronger, more interesting photograph.

Jeremy

EDIT: Rajan, I'd not looked at the attribution of the Flickr image and I assumed it was yours. I'd not have made the comparison if I'd realised (I'm not that tactless). Apologies.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:52:59 PM by kikashi » Logged
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 07:56:36 AM »
ReplyReply

FWIW, good as the photo above is, I think the Flickr image is a stronger, more interesting photograph.

Jeremy
I agree with Jeremy.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
shaunw

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 01:31:02 PM »
ReplyReply

very appealing image....like it

Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com
Rajan Parrikar

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Jeremy

EDIT: Rajan, I'd not looked at the attribution of the Flickr image and I assumed it was yours. I'd not have made the comparison if I'd realised (I'm not that tactless). Apologies.

Jeremy,

No need to apologize at all.  You are right that the view in the Flickr image is richer.  To get close enough to that site, it is a long walk from the drivable dirt track (you are not allowed to off-road in Iceland).  We left our superjeep on the route and made the trek but didn't really have time to explore compositions - there was wind and the threat of rain loomed - so I had to make tomatoes with the ketchup at hand.  One would need at least 4-6 hours of scouting to get the lay of the land and I intend to go back there.

sailronin

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Lovely image Rajan,
Subtle tones and then the bright red, very nice.

Dave

Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com
kikashi

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Jeremy,

No need to apologize at all.  You are right that the view in the Flickr image is richer.  To get close enough to that site, it is a long walk from the drivable dirt track (you are not allowed to off-road in Iceland).  We left our superjeep on the route and made the trek but didn't really have time to explore compositions - there was wind and the threat of rain loomed - so I had to make tomatoes with the ketchup at hand.  One would need at least 4-6 hours of scouting to get the lay of the land and I intend to go back there.
Each time I look at one of your Iceland photos, I get more and more desperate to go there myself. I also find the way you alternate (almost) shots of Goa and Iceland in your posts here very entertaining. Keep it up!

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad