Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: lightroom compatibility HELP!  (Read 3426 times)
Raul_82

« on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello,
I just receive my new DB (an aptus II10). Since its mainly for studio use, I plan to use thetered most of the time, I did a lot of tests yesterday to be sure thetered works ok, and it does actually. After testing with Capture One and Leaf Capture, I decided to use Leaf Capture to control tethered shooting and I create a lightroom hot file so automatically I can get my photos imported into my lightroom catalog to be edited. This works like a charm!. BUT, today I was doing some testing with CF card on the DB, and when I went to import my photos to lightroom, it says the raw file (.mos) its not supported, so I have already .mos files in lightroom that I can see and edit, but the .mos files on the CF card are not compatible! I tried different CF cards, I tried copying the files to computer, but so far nothing works except tethered files that pass trough Leaf Capture. I have Lightroom 3.5 (the latest update). I'm not willing to learn the workflow of another raw editor (capture one), so I need to know if there is a solution to this. I live in Spain and weekends here are sacred, so I can't call my dealer until monday.
Any help??? thanks...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:34:02 PM by Raul_82 » Logged
dizzyg44

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I ran into this when I first got my leaf back. 

Leaf .mos file support in LR 2 and 3 is incomplete.

The issue is LR can't read lossless compressed .mos files straight from the back, which is why leaf has a raw converter utility called Leaf Raw Converter

To work around this issue your options are:

1.  change settings on your back to uncompressed and lightroom will import them manually.
or
2.  use the "Leaf Raw Converter" application or Leaf Capture to convert the lossless compressed .mos files to lossless compressed .mos files.

before I switched to C1 Pro my workflow was as follows....
1.  Shoot lossless compressed
2. run Leaf Raw Converter with the destination folder being the one I have set as my auto-import folder for LR.  Make sure to check the lossless compressed box
3.  Enjoy seeing images in LR

Hope that helps!
Garrett
dizzyg44

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:14:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Here's links to Leaf Raw Converter

Win:
http://www.leaf-photography.com/downloads_lrc126pc.html

Mac:
http://www.leaf-photography.com/downloads_rc126mac.html
Raul_82

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:35:22 AM »
ReplyReply

wow thanks on the quick reply!! very helpful!!!
Raul_82

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
ReplyReply

however the DB won't let me choose any other format than lossless, in fact, in the compression box there's only that choice (lossless) and I don't see a way of turn it off so i guess is the raw converter software for me.
thanks again!
dizzyg44

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
ReplyReply

hmm, interesting...

I have the Aptus 22 and have the option of compressed lossless or uncompressed.....

uncompressed, LR reads fine with no intervention but then the files are almost twice as large.
EricWHiss

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
ReplyReply

Another problem is that once you convert the Leaf .mos files to a format you can use for Lightroom, some features are no longer available in Capture 1  such as creating and using LCC's which really frustrates me.

Leaf/Phase you really need to fix the file compatibility problems, and to enable the options on the digital back.

Authorized Rolleiflex Dealer:
Find product information, download user manuals, or purchase online - Rolleiflex USA
rainer_v

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 04:29:49 AM »
ReplyReply

so it is .....
it just show lossless compression.

rainer viertlböck
architecture photographer
munich / germany

www.tangential.de
A.Garcia

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
ReplyReply

My guess is that old electronics inside new big megapixel Aptus aren't powerful enough to deliver calibrated, ready to use,  .mos files. That's the reason we'll never see a firmware fix to deliver uncompressed  , Lightroom friendly files.

Been a big fan of Lightroom over years, I find no reason to process my Aptus files with any software but C1 though.
Camdavidson

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »
ReplyReply

I use C1 for everything - Nikon, Lumix and most importantly for my Aptus 75 files.  LCC is a major plus for C1 and of course, the stellar color editor.  In my opinion, C1 color and quality is so good that I prefer to use it over any other program.

I can not speak to the others since I have used C1 since version 2.  I've tried LR, RAW Converter, Aperture, Camera Raw and the Nikon Software.  I still prefer C1 over the others.

Although, the Hassy Phocus software is good for Hassy backs.
Martin Kristiansen

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:24:18 AM »
ReplyReply

On the new Leaf backs the only option untethered, shooting to a card, is lossless compressed. LR cannot import or use these files. You need to save them uncompressed out of LC or C1. LR will then handle them no problem. Shooting to card I usually shoot a cal file anyway so visiting LC is needed for me anyway. I output an uncompressed .mos file with applying the cal file and then import this file into LR using a custom camera file. Works well for me.
Williamson Images

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 01:47:35 AM »
ReplyReply

The rest of the comments are spot on.

The Aptus II 10 only shoots compressed.  If you open them in leaf capture and save any adjustments, then the files are changed to uncompressed in your folder.  Then you can open the raw files in Lightroom or continue to work in Leaf's software.  But you can no longer apply LCC's in Capture One Pro. That's really the only current issue. 

So if you are using a tech cam, then you really have two options:

1.  Work only in Capture One Pro.
2.  Apply LCC in Leaf Capture and then process there or in Lightroom. 

You could also Save the files from your CF cards to two folders - using all programs now or later by not uncompressing the files in one folder, but that takes up a lot of room... And seems ridiculous.

I primarily now use Capture One for tech camera files, and the other route for my contax 645 files.  I love Lightroom for some of its tools and Capture One for LCC.  So I just plan processing based on the type of shoot.

I can tell you that if image quality is your main focus, then just go Capture One or use Leaf Capture. I'm sure the next version of c1 will have every tool and more that Lightroom touts making our choices that much clearer...

Hopefully YAYA can chime in on the new way of using LCC's in the Aptus backs or workflow. 

Robb

-------------------------
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com
yaya

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
ReplyReply

The OP did not state which camera platform he uses the back on so LCC might or might not be relevant but if it is then there's a short article here on LL about it: Link

Yair

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Mamiya Leaf |
e: ysh@leaf-photography.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
Raul_82

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »
ReplyReply

well so far this is what is working for me. Thetered shooting using leaf capture and downloading the shots on a lightroom watched folder. This works great and lightroom can process the lossless files ok. The other way: using Leaf raw converter and copying the shots in the lightroom watched folder, the raw files can be copied compressed or uncompressed, lightroom reads both ok.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad