Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Former smokers experience  (Read 9791 times)
mediumcool

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
ReplyReply

I quit smoking 16 years ago.  I had smoked for 10 years prior to this.  I had "quit" smoking to previous times, each time lasted a couple of months or so.  What made me successful the third time?  Well, I technically did not quit smoking, I simply stopped buying cigarettes.  I would smoke one only when I could bum one.  All of my smoker friends started avoiding me like the plague.  A lot of the time, the smoker who would give me a cigarette would smoke something vile, such as a Picayune, a Camel No Filter etc.  Or, it would be a menthol, and I was a non-menthol smoker.  This, combined with the embarrassment of begging, eventually weaned me from "needing" a smoke.  But, 16 years later, when someone lights a cigarette and I smell it, my mouth almost waters.  I can remember how wonderful that first drag of a fresh cigarette was.  I know that I will never smoke again.  I know that if I smoke one, I will have to fight that battle again to keep a plant product from reigning over my life.  I am too smart for that.

I used to be so superior to smokers—I had taken up and abandoned the habit on the same day, when I was about 5! But as I watched a TV documentary about addiction on Australia’s ABC network (similar to the BBC) c20 years ago, I realised how tough it could be to try to stop. Understanding further enhanced by talking to a woman who had given up up 20 years earlier: “Do you miss them?” “Every day” was the reply.

FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Rob C

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 03:36:05 AM »
ReplyReply

How odd to miss tobacco!

I have no desire to start smoking ever again; I detest being in the same room as anyone smoking, and lighting up in a non-smoker's home or car must rank amongst the worst insults one can offer.

The idea struck me that one could carry a small bunch of dry leaves in a side-pocket, along with a box of matches or a Zippo, and return the compliment in the offender's home by taking out the aforementioned props and setting ablaze the one with the other, preferrably upon the host's best table. I doubt they'd see the joke.

My PS computer is still AWOL, but a man came yesterday and fitted wifi and additional tv channels. I can now watch tv with the added distraction of flickering lights on yet another piece of technical equipment I don't really want to look at at all. Meanwhile, back in the office, my monitor boasts a modified row of flickering "ADSL" and "Modify message -..." boxes at the bottom, where once they remained steady and non-distracting. Why?  Because during a conversation with the girl in the telephone shop (Telefonica) I mentioned my angst at paying an unlimited use rate for ADSL at home, and also seperately for its use on the cellphone, and tried to explain that I was unlikely to be using them both at the same time... she looked at my bills and then told me that she could send a chap around to give me more for less. So, here I am: more flickers and, possibly, lower telephone bills in the future. As I have noted in the past, things often improve without getting any better.

Oh well, time to exit the house and face the world.

Ciao

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:52:41 AM by Rob C » Logged

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad