Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 384641 times)
Calvin Powell

« Reply #1460 on: October 09, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi, i didn't want to start a new thread because is my problem is also with the 7900, i hope i'm not breaking form rules here, however after spending some time researching this, and coming across this thread, this thread seems to have the most information clustered together i've seen.

So on our 7900 we developed a clog on the LLK head, and its not a very small clog, its almost 80-90% of the head, and its only getting worse, with less than 200-ish prints on the printer its self, and none of the others going bad.

So far we have been trying the different ranks of cleaning the printer has, including checking the wiper-blade assembly. and no SS cleaning,(after searching this form, thank you btw) and the LLk has only gotten worse. I fear is electronics, as it seems to be with a-lot of these print heads.

I know there are lots of other things we could try, damper assembly, different cleaning liquids you run instead of inks, but this block is huge and i haven't seen anyone with this massive of a clog on just one head.

What do you guys think.
davidh202

« Reply #1461 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
ReplyReply

You don't have a clog you have ink starvation due to air in the line. It's also not the wiper. I'd be willing to bet it's a bad cart seal allowing air into the line.  Could be a bad cart seal or the needle itself in the LLK bay. LLK is the most used ink for all prints. If you have any carts running at a very low level this can also occur, as it can de pressurize the supply chain and affect the weakest link so to speak.  
You have nothing to loose before you call for service if out of warrantee...
 Get a new 150ml LLK cart before you do anything else, set the printer to auto check and nozzle clean,  and let the printer do it's thing. You may get the dreaded cleaned 3 times to no avail notice, let the printer rest between cleanings and turn it off and on to cycle the pressure pump and charge the lines. Do not just keep on doing cleanings without printing , but print some more  pages on plain paper till it works it's way out!
IF all that fails open in Maintenance mode and do a level 2 pair clean only, and then print print print on plain paper. If you see progress fine, if not you may have already done too much damage to the LLK nozzles . DO not use WINDEX!  
Good luck and by all means report back and let us know the outcome

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:10:30 PM by davidh202 » Logged
fetish

« Reply #1462 on: October 15, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
ReplyReply

You don't have a clog you have ink starvation due to air in the line. It's also not the wiper. I'd be willing to bet it's a bad cart seal allowing air into the line.  Could be a bad cart seal or the needle itself in the LLK bay. LLK is the most used ink for all prints. If you have any carts running at a very low level this can also occur, as it can de pressurize the supply chain and affect the weakest link so to speak. 
You have nothing to loose before you call for service if out of warrantee...
 Get a new 150ml LLK cart before you do anything else, set the printer to auto check and nozzle clean,  and let the printer do it's thing. You may get the dreaded cleaned 3 times to no avail notice, let the printer rest between cleanings and turn it off and on to cycle the pressure pump and charge the lines. Do not just keep on doing cleanings without printing , but print some more  pages on plain paper till it works it's way out!
IF all that fails open in Maintenance mode and do a level 2 pair clean only, and then print print print on plain paper. If you see progress fine, if not you may have already done too much damage to the LLK nozzles . DO not use WINDEX! 
Good luck and by all means report back and let us know the outcome

Yup it's a bad cart seal. Just use some scotch tape and tape up the seams around the cart. It helps to hold it for a while. Also, do an eject cart and reload then clean once to get the pressure up before doing a nozzle check when doing a new print job after the printer sits idle for more than a day.
Some Guy

« Reply #1463 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Just a thought, if it were an air leak, wouldn't the pump be running a lot more than normal?  Maybe continuously if bad enough?

I think Epson has some pressure sensor on the air line to keep the tanks and head pressurized and it should be triggering the pump if the line pressure is low, or the pressure sensor is bad.

Local shop had theirs go bad and it did clog the nozzles, but they also had to change out some controller board, pump, and print head to the tune of $2,200 with labor.  They scraped it instead and upscaled to the 9900, but it too had some issues as well and has been down 3 months.

Epson really needs to make these machines more service and user friendly with regards to head replacements like Canon, imho.

SG
fetish

« Reply #1464 on: October 16, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
ReplyReply

How do you do this exactly? Are you saying to tape around near where the cart plugs in to the nozzle? How can you do this with the other carts in? Could you be a bit more clear...I want to try this....

You see the seam that runs down the middle of the cartridge that splits the cart in two? Tape up that seam. Just be more careful to avoid the chip, the ink port and the plastic identification keys.

Secondary action: release the head and move it to the middle of the printer, use a torch to inspect the ink lines around it to see if there are signs of ink leakages. Sometimes one of the ink line is not plugged in tight enough and the leak will cause air to build up in the head.
datro

« Reply #1465 on: October 16, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
ReplyReply

What do you guys think.

It is hard to see in your photograph, but I think I see deflected nozzles (small curved vertical lines of ink in the missing color just to the right of the left and right sides of the empty pattern). You may need to look at the pattern under magnification to see this.

Based on my experience you have a failed head, not a clog.  You have 2 key indicators:  1) a continuous block of missing nozzles that gets larger with more attempts to clear it, 2) deflected nozzles with "delayed" firing.

I had pretty much the same thing happen on my 5 1/2 year old 7900 in the Green channel.  Up until that point, I had never had a missing nozzle which could not be easily cleared.  I installed a new Ink Selector (all five dampers) which did not fix it.  A 72 hour soak with PeizoFlush fluid in the Green channel did not clear it.  I installed a new head (did all the recommended adjustments) and now have a perfectly functioning system again.  Note:  If you do replace your head, and if you build your own profiles, I highly recommend re-profiling all your papers.  Replacing a head can actually change color characteristics in the same way that changing media settings might.

Dave
canvas_john

« Reply #1466 on: November 15, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »
ReplyReply

Great post - many thanks - I have managed to find most resources needed to "repair" my 7900 however I am struggling to find Servprog.exe anywhere, can anyone please help?
audiodoc

« Reply #1467 on: November 20, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I have gone to the website-Epson Insider-and I don't see it anywhere.Not sure if it's bundled with anything else.All I see are net utilities.Anyone have any suggestions?

MJR
cybis

« Reply #1468 on: November 20, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
ReplyReply

The program is under Windows XP or Vista only:
Epson Insider > support >technical information > Ink Jet Printers > Epson Stylus Pro 9900 > Downloads > Windows XP > Service Program

audiodoc

« Reply #1469 on: November 20, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »
ReplyReply

I don't see it for the 7890,just the 7900.Any ideas?Not listed in the drop down.

Mike
cybis

« Reply #1470 on: November 20, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »
ReplyReply

I *think* the same program is used for the x700, x710, x890, x900, x908, x910 series printer. Grab it from the 7900 and it should work for your 7890.

audiodoc

« Reply #1471 on: November 21, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
ReplyReply

7890.9890 not listed nor is the 4900.I'm still looking though.
7900,9900,7700,9700 are listed.

Mike
jferrari

« Reply #1472 on: November 21, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »
ReplyReply

The filename is: epson13816.exe. It appears under several different models and operating systems. I just went there and got it yesterday.     - Jim

No, I don't own one. But I have seen one on TV.
audiodoc

« Reply #1473 on: November 22, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Did you see one for the 7890?The one I have ,it is not listed in the drop down.Could be different versions of it.

Mike
canvas_john

« Reply #1474 on: November 22, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Thats great - many thanks
Figo-Photo

« Reply #1475 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi everybody.

I would like to start by thank everyone for sharing informations about EPSON print head problems.

Here is the problem I faced yesterday. My 9900 has been turned off for 1 month. The last time I printed, everything was fine.
Yesterday I turned it on and let it make its self cleaning. I made a nozzle check just after.

My LLK was partially printed...   Embarrassed

After few cleanings, I decided to dismount the print head to manually clean it with warm distilled water.
I started to dive the print head in 1cm of distilled water, and gently shaked it. I changed the dirty water twice.
When the water was no more dirty, I took a syringe and really gently aspired from the LLK whole behind the print head, until the liquid was pretty clean.
I thought it was not too much to do that with all colors, so I aspired from all color wholes.

Finally, I put the print head on a paper towels and I really gently push some air with the syringe in each color whole to help drying it.
Then I put it back in my 9900.

I turned on my 9900 in Maintenance mode (left+down+right). When it was in "ready" state, I wanted to print a test image and I realized that "Matte black" was selected while it was PHoto black before... So I switched to Photo black and it started by a self cleaning...

The self cleaning took a very unusual long time and ended with an error message saying it was not able to.... end the cleaning.
the 9900 asked for retry or continue. I pushed "continue" then it started to switch to Photo black.

After switching finished, I checked my waste ink tank... It was totally empty !! No ink went through the print head nor during the switch neither during the self cleaning.

I tried to print a pic, and the printer left me a beautiful white paper !!

I disassembled a second time to check electrical connections. Everything was well connected, with no inversion...

Then I tried to send the print head serial number through servprog, which has been well sent, but nothing changed. Still white paper when printing.

My print head had been replace last year... But I admit I don't print everyday... It happens that the plotter stays switched off for 2 or 3 weeks.

Did I forget a step ? Do I do something I shouldn't have done ?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I hope I didn't kill my print head !
framah

« Reply #1476 on: November 25, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Seriously?? You couldn't think of ANY other name to post with? Roll Eyes

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
audiodoc

« Reply #1477 on: November 25, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Really-so degrading-Let's stay on a higher plane than that.
Mike
Figo-Photo

« Reply #1478 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
ReplyReply

I apology, I didn't expect to hurt anybody.

Here is the explanation I sent to administrators:

I changed my nickname, no problem Wink

But may I ask you to explain me what is the deep meaning for US people ?
I know that "nigga" comes from "nigger", and I know it was a real bad racial meaning a long time ago, in France too.
But nowadays in France, it is nor a way to claim to be a black people (strengthening the idea not being white people) neither a way to say I feel like my ancestors, still persecuted by white people...

The only reason I used this nickname is because in France, english words sound good when you say it, we like to use english.
It is just for the style Wink

Friendly,
Philippe.
audiodoc

« Reply #1479 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Until we choose to rise above the past-we will be stuck in the past.It's a derogatory term and really has no place in a civilized society.Being a professional black man,I was taken aback that you would use such a name in your email.I can't change how u feel about yourself-but to me and possibly countless other-it's very offensive.Rise above it!
Dr.Redus
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad