Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 261469 times)
cybis

« Reply #1360 on: March 03, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Does anywone know of software that will make a 7900/9900 print separate color bars for each of the 10 inks for test and purge?  MIS had a program for the 2400, but doesn't seem to have one for the 7900.

mzf25

Try this.

shoutsign

« Reply #1361 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Everyone
I am new and came across this forum because I have the 7900 woes.
I bought one used and am not able to get past an error in the boot up phase.
If anyone can shed some light on my problem I would appreciate it.
Here's what happens:
If I insert the ink cartridges in, up to 10, the machine will recognize them and accurately show their ink amount and the one empty bay saying:
"No cartridge Install ink cartridge"
As soon as I push that last one in, the printer does its little boot up procedure and them announces:
"Ink cartridge error Replace ink cartridge" and flashes ALL compartments as empty with the red circle and white cross; not one cart is seen.
It does not matter which cartridge is left as the last one to be inserted. They all register accurately until that last one is pushed in.
I believe that the machine is satisfied they are all present and filled enough and moves on to its next boot up item and flashes this error.
It is so fast but I imagine I can see the display showing the carts are ok before the "Ink cartridge error Replace ink cartridge" but it might take some slow motion photography to confirm this.
Nevertheless I am stumped.
The cost of parts alone is $1200 and for a tech to knock on the door $100, to come in and cough $175 per hour.
If that gets resolved there is no guarantee the head will print.
I am sure it is worth every penny but I have so few these days.
So can anyone offer some insight into this mysterious behavior?
Thanks in advance, Peter
cybis

« Reply #1362 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »
ReplyReply

So can anyone offer some insight into this mysterious behavior?

Did you try booting the printer up in service or maintenace mode? Does it make a difference?

shoutsign

« Reply #1363 on: March 06, 2013, 12:54:12 AM »
ReplyReply

I can boot up in whichever mode the right arrow, the ok button and the down arrow is.
But that does not help me get in "Ready" state
Thanks though.
Eric Gulbransen

never surrender

« Reply #1364 on: March 06, 2013, 10:21:37 AM »
ReplyReply

Have you read through the service manual?   I looked it up for you and it suggests four things to do when you get the "NO CARTRIDGE INSTALL INK CARTRIDGE" message:

1 - (and this is clever) Install the ink Cartridge.
2 - Remove the Ink Cartridge once, and install it again correctly.
3 - Check the connection between the Ink Cartridge and the Main Board Assy.
4 - Replace the Ink Cartridge with a new one

You say you bought it used - did you see it run before you bought it?  If so maybe it's #3, a loose connection.  Could be it got dislodged while moving?

iladi

« Reply #1365 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Try to press the ink output hole on the cart with a paperclip and blow some air in the nipple near by with a tube to eliminate bubles in the cart. It is explianed in the service manual, page 226. 

Error Message: INK CARTRIDGE ERROR: REPLACE INK CARTRIDGE Explanation of Error:
The CSIC Chip reports ink in the Cartridge, but the Ink Out Sensor (located where the ink leaves the Cartridge) reports no ink.
Cause of Error:
Tiny air bubbles in the Ink Out Sensor. Repair Strategy:
Remove the tiny air bubbles from the Ink Out Sensor. Repair Detail:
. Use the paper clip to open the Ink Valve, and release a small amount of ink and the trapped air.
This Cartridge did contain air bubbles in the ink. The small amount of air in the ink is enough to cause the error.
davidh202

« Reply #1366 on: March 06, 2013, 01:37:25 PM »
ReplyReply

John Caldwel just had this on a brand new 9900.   http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=75136.msg599240#msg599240   
 D1 replaced the main board,but they just love to replace parts willy nilly, especially when Epson pays for them under warrantee.
Try jiggling and reseating the ribbon cables on both cart bays and the main board and also the bay doors interlock, especially the one that you are closing last that gives you the error, before you resort to parts.I recently had my 9890 do the same thing when booting up ,turns out the right door was ajar (I wonder how a door can be a jar?)  Roll Eyes
I don't believe one bad cart would cause all to show as not registering, especially if you change the insertion order.
David

jmlamont

« Reply #1367 on: March 06, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
ReplyReply

I installed a new wiper blade in my Epson 7900, and when I shut down from Service Mode and restart in normal mode I get a white screen with "Code 1489" and the message that I should try restarting again and if still a problem call Epson.

Gulp.

Everything appeared to go smoothly and easily, however:
* I was a little surprised that when I "snapped" the wiper blade assembly into place, the assembly wasn't at a uniform distance: slightly more towards me at the bottom than the top, but it did "snap" into place. I can't remember what it looked like before I started. I have tried fiddling it to see whether I can get it to be a uniform distance and don't seem able to do this; it does seem to be naturally "seated" where it is and I don't want to force anything.
* It required me to agree to "Cleaning", and I then had to change two of the ink cartridges, and then it appeared to clean ok in Service mode, though possibly with a little more sound effects. But as noted, I can't get back into normal mode without the white screen Code 1489 appearing.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, as I am stopped and at my wits end as to what to do here.
shoutsign

« Reply #1368 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi
Thanks for all your responses.
I like the one about the cables and the door ajar.
Eric, I do have the service manual but nowhere does it allude to any 10 carts being inserted with success, in any order, and the printer going only wacko with the 11th and saying there are no carts all. 8 of the carts are brand spanking new and I burped the not-so-new ones.
I bought the printer and the owner mentioned this problem as to why he had put the printer out to pasture but exclaimed, when I was buying it, that the problem was no longer there. That was probably because he was a cartridge short and so the remaining carts were registering just fine.
Any way, one of the doors is just a tad wonky and I think I will shake that tree and see what fall out.
Thanks and any other suggestions would be appreciated.
davidh202

« Reply #1369 on: March 06, 2013, 10:36:31 PM »
ReplyReply

I cannot find 1489 error listed in the manual  Huh
 Just a wild guess, but try the pause- cancel job button on the panel and see if you can cancel and reset before shutting down then restart.  Or...
Try leaving the printer unplugged overnight. Some errors retained in flash memory might possibly will dissappear after the power is off for more than a specified time and the printer returns to defaults. Worth a try!
davidh202

« Reply #1370 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi
 I bought the printer and the owner mentioned this problem as to why he had put the printer out to pasture but exclaimed, when I was buying it, that the problem was no longer there. That was probably because he was a cartridge short and so the remaining carts were registering just fine.

You didn't see a print come off the machine before you bought it?
I hope you have recourse with the former owner, or has he already skipped town?
I have a bridge for sale, Interested? Roll Eyes

David
shoutsign

« Reply #1371 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi David
Where's that bridge located?
I'd love to come and check it out.
How much do you want for it?
Actually, anyone on this forum would have done what I did.
Let's just say it was priced accordingly.
Now I have this monster printer sitting in our small living room, in between our 2 couches, so if anyone sits in them they have to peek through the Epson stand to converse with each other.
Wife's not too happy.
shoutsign

« Reply #1372 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »
ReplyReply

So, in my service manual for 7900 on p.39 it says:
"*2": The all LEDs flash when a service call error is occurring.
It's a little cryptic because there is no "*2" in the text.
Denniswcr

« Reply #1373 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »
ReplyReply

jmlamont

I had this happen when I first cleaned the wiper blade.  Can't remember if that was the error number I got but the wiper was not seated all the way.  It looked like you describe yours, being not down at the bottom if I read your posting correctly.  I had to press very hard to get my wiper seated correctly and get the error to go away.  My error was that the wiper would not initialize.

Hope this helps, Dennis
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:00:42 PM by Denniswcr » Logged
Denniswcr

« Reply #1374 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
ReplyReply

jmlamont

I had this happen when I first cleaned the wiper blade.  Can't remember if that was the error number I got but the wiper was not seated all the way.  It looked like you describe yours, being not down at the bottom if I read your posting correctly.  I had to press very hard to get my wiper seated correctly and get the error to go away.  My error was that the wiper would not initialize.

Hope this helps, Dennis

I just checked the service manual and error 1489 is "The home position of the Wiper is not detected."  That is the same error that I received.  I presume that your problem is that the wiper is not fully seated like mine was when getting that error.

Dennis
Eric Gulbransen

never surrender

« Reply #1375 on: March 07, 2013, 01:54:36 AM »
ReplyReply

I agree with Dennis - I think Jim installed his wiper assy cock-eyed.  The machine likely detected this and did a hard stop, probably because it wouldn't retract properly.  I think if Jim rolls the wiper assy back into position by manually turning the drive gear back by the pump and cap assy he will be able to get the wiper back into view, so he can re-install it.  Should be an easy fix I think so I've been directly coaching Jim through email about the process of taking half his machine apart, in the living room, while his St Bernard is watching.  All I asked for in return was the video.  Smiley

iladi

« Reply #1376 on: March 07, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »
ReplyReply

you may have a cart that loses pressure. or a bad chip.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:03:40 AM by iladi » Logged
jmlamont

« Reply #1377 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Thank you all for all your help with this problem. I especially want to thank Eric. I could not have solved it without him and would not have even dared to try.

As I write this, my printer has now gone through the final Head Alignment and it appears all is well. After taking the machine apart and re-installing the wipe blade assembly, early this morning, it took two Normal Cleans to get a Nozzle Check without breaks. The first Nozzle Check had almost no ink printing at all; second almost all ok but still a few breaks; third perfect. Elated is an understatement; I had resigned myself to likely losing the head, and hence the machine, since it had not been able to cap itself for roughly 10 hours because of the wiper assembly issue.

The problem may have arisen last night when I think I may have installed the new wiper assembly under the Flushing Box rather than to its right hand side. There is a gap there that is very similar to the gap for the wiper assembly, except that the assembly doesn't quite flush align in it, just as it didn't for me last night. Installing the wiper assembly this morning in the correct gap on the other hand was extremely straightforward (that is, after I had partially taken the printer apart with Eric's remote guidance, to rotate the assembly down into position), with absolutely no tendency to mis-align. Perhaps after I took the old one out last night and stepped aside to get the new one, I confused where to put the new one.  If that is the explanation, I am astonished it did not break the machine outright since both gaps move and installing the wiper assembly under the Flushing Box would presumably prevent the Flushing Box from traversing its full trajectory. Anyway, things appear to be back to normal, and I now have a new wiper blade installed.

Once again, thank you all, and especially Eric.
Blue moon

« Reply #1378 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Everyone
just finished second 15 day auto test today..no printer rocking , no printing......k3 inks.....daily start up....7800...
16 celsius 56 humidity.....cold dry room....
Absolutely perfect auto test.....first go....and each days start up was sweet.....knew there would be a good test...
Could be eating my words about rocking....
What a beautiful printer Mr Epson.......

Hi everyone
Just completed 3 rd 15 day auto test today ....NO PRINTER ROCKING.....k3 inks ..daily start ..7800 ...17.5 celsius ...57 humidity...cold dark dry room as usual..
NO PRINTING ....during 7800 test...

Anyway auto test was NOT good....in fact i could not get a clean auto test at all.....machine shut down without clearing the head.....had to wait until next day to get a clear auto test ..which i will admit happened quickly enough...
I have not had this experience when i was mildly shaking printer regularly....
Already the "printer shaking "side of the camp is slightly ahead of the "no printer shaking" side...with over half the comparison test over....
To be honest not looking forward to the last two 15 day tests...time will tell....
2 more 15 day auto tests for me to come to a personal conclusion as to whether printer rocking is a distraction or not...
Garnick

« Reply #1379 on: March 07, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Hello All,

Thought I'd add a bit to my ongoing saga of the 9900. As you are aware, Ive been awaiting yet another service call. My first call to Epson for this latest issue was placed a week ago yesterday and the service tech finally arrived about an hour ago. So that's a week and a day after the first call. Hey...just saying. I was originally thinking I would post this outside of this thread, but then decided it might get more input here.  

Just a short recap of the present situation. About a week and a half ago I noticed a light band on a print about 1/2" from the lead edge. Ran a nozzle check and everything was 100%, so another print and the same thing again. Now, at this stage I'm going to cut to the chase. Suffice to say that after trying everything the manual has to offer for banding issues and then talking with Epson and sending them a test showing the problem as well as a perfect nozzle pattern, the service call was ordered. And to the point of this post - one of the first things the service tech noticed and questioned me on is that fact that I was using a couple of "expired" carts. Now I can't say that his comment was in any way surprising. I can say that I've been using expired Epson carts on my two 7600s for many years without issue and on the 9900 as well. However, with all of the service calls I've had on the 9900, I don't recall the cart expiry date ever being mentioned. Perhaps this is some sort of new edict from Epson to make sure their cart sales are maintained. Cynical...who, me? I realize this is something that's been covered in the past, but most replies were of course anecdotal by nature. I suppose what I'm looking for here is some replies from those who might have experienced issues that were proven to be directly related to using expired carts. The explanation from the service tech(echoing that from Epson obviously) was that the ink can settle and cause a type of "sludge" in the print head once the expiry date has been exceeded. I suppose that to some extent that explanation does make some sense, although I have used carts in other Epson printers, 4000,7600s and 9900 for many for many years that were past their 'best before' date. And I'm reasonably certain that routine is quite common through this community as well. However, be that as it may, some actual evidence of a relationship between expired carts and print head problems would definitely add some credence to this claim. When the Tech came in this morning I first ran a nozzle check and as usual it showed no problem at all. My next test of an 8x10 neutral grad image showed very noticeable horizontal banding, the reason for the original Epson call. The Tech performed a number of other tests and then finally installed the new print head. Problem solved! Not sure why, but it works. I would love to know if Epson ever runs any sort of diagnostics on 'dead' heads to perhaps discover the cause if their demise.

Anyone experiencing issues with expired carts, please reply. Anyone still using expired carts without noticeable problems, please reply.

Oh yes, one more interesting note here. Well interesting IMO. I have a humidifier running close to the printer and try to keep it above 40% when possible. I asked the Tech his opinion on what effect humidity has on these printers, expecting him to say that it must be maintained at a certain level. His response was actually rather cavalier, as he said that in his experience humidity levels are not terribly critical. Go figure!

Thank you for your patience.
Gary        

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:56:01 PM by Garnick » Logged
Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad