Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 261427 times)
Blue moon

« Reply #1380 on: March 27, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Everyone
Finished another 15 day test (no 4 of5 ) without any pigment stirring...just daily turn on...no printing either...
7800 fired a blemish free auto patch on its first effort without any difficulty ....very cold in ireland 16 celscius about the average without agressive heating....really surprised at how the printer recovered itself from the last auto test which was the worst test in about a year of not printing....ink in the printer behaving like ink in a cartridge....
Some of the older printers really require very little attention....its truly amazing.....they are hardy machines..
Seems to me most of the problem with printers is coming from poor hygiene techniques by both Epson and our good selves..especially me..
Delayed Photoflo tests until now.....will have results definitely by the time last auto test happens in 10 days time..
Matt
highway0691

« Reply #1381 on: April 10, 2013, 02:32:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Planning on replacing head on 7900. Have watched Eric's brilliant tutorial on vimeo. Before I buy head I need to know where to get the servprog.exe needed as outlined on end of tutorial. Does anyone know where to get it? Thanks
enduser

« Reply #1382 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
ReplyReply

A mysterious .exe file.  Other hardware such as disc drives and flash memory controls use the same file name.
Eric Gulbransen

never surrender

« Reply #1383 on: April 11, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Most interesting news I have is of the first X900 terminally clogged printhead actually being cleared!  This particular user contacted me through MYX900.com asking for advice about his clogged 4900.  We were working out a plan that would involve me lending him my cleaning carts so he could run solution through his machine, when he tried one last ditch effort on his own.  He ran a series of "Initialize Cartridge" procedures on his 4900 which took a serious amount of ink - but holy mother wouldn't you know it this eventually worked for him.  His 4900 is now printing clear again..

There's a WTF moment for you!

highway0691 contacted me offline and I directed him where to go.  He's all set.

I get contacted offline often now with different users experiencing different problems.  Some from here, others from MYX900.com.  I've sent my custom nipple plate around the world a few times by now too - for people now swapping heads on their own using the video.  So far everyone who has attempted the head change has been successful.  I never charge anyone for the nipple plate, it's more of an honor system.  I mail it out, they use it for the head swap then mail it back, and always they donate to the cause whatever they feel the help was worth.  The last time I mailed the nipple plate out kind of sucked though - after a bunch of friendly emails back and forth I sent it to a troubled 7900 user in Australia.  Things went dead after that, I get no responses now and I never got the nipple plate back.  No big deal, I have another and I don't plan to stop offering it up. 

Anyone needs help, you know where I am.

highway0691

« Reply #1384 on: April 12, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Eric - nipple plate. Is there an alternative thingo that I could whip up at home? Or is the nipple plate an essential item that cannot be replicated? Cheers Mate!
Eric Gulbransen

never surrender

« Reply #1385 on: April 14, 2013, 10:24:28 AM »
ReplyReply

It's not essential.  If you're doing a quick head swap there's only a brief moment the lines are open.  If it'll be longer though, you need to plug the lines.  A nipple plate is not the only way to plug the lines, but it's the best way I have found.

Garnick

« Reply #1386 on: April 14, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Most interesting news I have is of the first X900 terminally clogged printhead actually being cleared!  This particular user contacted me through MYX900.com asking for advice about his clogged 4900.  We were working out a plan that would involve me lending him my cleaning carts so he could run solution through his machine, when he tried one last ditch effort on his own.  He ran a series of "Initialize Cartridge" procedures on his 4900 which took a serious amount of ink - but holy mother wouldn't you know it this eventually worked for him.  His 4900 is now printing clear again..

There's a WTF moment for you!

The last time I mailed the nipple plate out kind of sucked though - after a bunch of friendly emails back and forth I sent it to a troubled 7900 user in Australia.  Things went dead after that, I get no responses now and I never got the nipple plate back.  No big deal, I have another and I don't plan to stop offering it up.  

Anyone needs help, you know where I am.

Two things Eric.  Where would one find the "Initialize Cartridge" command?  I suspect in maintenance mode, but I haven't done much there except for cleaning the wiper.  I suppose I should peruse that section further and find out what might be of interest, but of course not initiate any procedure until I have first researched the possible ramifications.

Now to the Nipple Plate THIEF!  That is simply SHAMEFUL, and I know that most everyone on this forum would agree with that statement.  Of course that doesn't do anything toward getting it back to you, and I know you wouldn't be the one to "OUT" that member, but perhaps a friendly word to the forum moderator would be the first step.  Get that person out of here, QUICKLY.  Perhaps some may see this as an overreaction, and of course everyone has a right to their own opinion.  That's mine and I stick by it!  We do NOT need people like that here, and until I'm proven wrong through some mistake in shipping etc, that shall remain my opinion.  Good luck with that Eric.

Gary
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:10:33 AM by Garnick » Logged
pixeldoppelganger

« Reply #1387 on: April 18, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Forum,

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this to, but I've been loosely following the thread since it's inception... but faded off...

I called Epson recently to find out IF my 9900 head was to die, could I purchase a head replacement and for how much money.
Here's the response from Epson America

>>>>

Joyce_Thacker@ea.epson.com

to me
Hi again, I got a bit more information. The price for the print head is $1,299.00 however they are currently out of stock with no current ETA.

Joyce

>>>>>

I've sent a follow up email.  No stock and no idea of replacements??
2 Epson tech supporters told me they are now keeping a tight control on every 9900/7900 head, due to their technology.. they don't want it getting out
of their control

Nice, huh?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:15:59 PM by pixeldoppelganger » Logged
highway0691

« Reply #1388 on: April 20, 2013, 01:39:55 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Forum,

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this to, but I've been loosely following the thread since it's inception... but faded off...

I called Epson recently to find out IF my 9900 head was to die, could I purchase a head replacement and for how much money.
Here's the response from Epson America

>>>>

to me
Hi again , I got a bit more information. The price for the print head is $1,299.00 however they are currently out of stock with no current ETA.

Joyce

>>>>>

I've sent a follow up email.  No stock and no idea of replacements??
2 Epson tech supporters told me they are now keeping a tight control on every 9900/7900 head, due to their technology.. they don't want it getting out
of their control

Nice, huh?

I've just ordered a new head for the 7900 and I'm told the eta is 35 days. So this may be why.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:47:11 PM by highway0691 » Logged
enduser

« Reply #1389 on: April 20, 2013, 01:52:59 AM »
ReplyReply

That "ea.epson.com"  doesn't lead  anywhere.
pixeldoppelganger

« Reply #1390 on: April 20, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Ok, thanks on the ETA update.  I'm surprised you received an answer... as currently they have no answer for me...

The email from Joyce is correct. I've been dealing with her since last year on faulty 700ml cartridges. She handled the
replacements and shipping.

I contacted her when Diana TenCate would not return my calls.  I've been told Diana's in the support department at
Epson's Indianapolis location and handles the 9900 heads.   Still waiting on her to contact me about a purchase...
mhakansson

« Reply #1391 on: April 24, 2013, 12:52:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Great thread this, thanks for all good info and effort. It made me change a printer head on a 9900 after I tried different cleaning methods suggested in this thread. Worked like a sharm. Only did two c2 cleanings and nozzlecheck was OK.
So when a 7900 had the same problem and no cleaning methods worked I changed the head but after several cleanings including powercleanings only half of the nozzels worked. Ordered a damper assembly(Selector Unit) and following the service manual  I wrapped some paper aroud the tubes. Cleaned the o rings with windtex and then I took away the paper from the tubes, it hade sucked out quite amount of ink of some tubes. With wisual air pockets. Put it all together and did one powerclean. No ink at all on the nozzle check. Did some other cleaning and again powerclean. Nothing! I can see on a tube with lot of air in it nothing hapens. Finally I did an initial fill and wasted a lot of ink. But it didn't help at all. No ink on paper.
I need your help. What can be the problem?

Garnick

« Reply #1392 on: April 24, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
ReplyReply

of their control

This is obviously a total sham.  Absolutely ridiculous!  The only thing Epson is trying to protect is their relationship with Decision One.  Personally I will never deal with D1 again.  They have been extremely careless with their database and have lost all of my contact information(including address) twice, as if I didn't exist.  During the three year warranty on the 9900 I have had to deal with them far too many times unfortunately, so the fact that they lost all of my information is inexcusable.  Or perhaps it was done purposely, who knows?  Notice I haven't mentioned the D1 techs.  The two fellows that I have dealt with were, for the most part, efficient and fairly knowledgeable concerning the 9900, but the practice of throwing the same parts at it repeatedly was not what I would expect from a service company or from Epson.  I hope when the day arrives that I'm in need of another new print head(the fourth one) there will actually be one in stock from my local supplier.  I'm on my own now, so every morning I push the power button and wait to see what the latest breaking news might be.  So far it's been good news and hope that continues, but experience is the best teacher and I have learned to expect just about anything when it comes to this printer. 

Gary         
Denniswcr

« Reply #1393 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »
ReplyReply

mhakansson

I'm no expert but have you checked to see if the cartridges are pressurized.  The 7900 uses a pressure system to get ink into the heads.  You should hear the pump run at startup and then stop when the system is at pressure.  Perhaps there is a leak  in the pressure line somewhere.

Dennis
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:40:48 AM by Denniswcr » Logged
Eric Gulbransen

never surrender

« Reply #1394 on: April 25, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
ReplyReply

I only "know" what I've been told, and by now I've been told a lot about these printers, and Epson, and these X900 heads.  Considering why Epson now so closely regulates who they sell replacement heads to (and who they don't) - here's what I've been told:

Unless you can give them the serial number off your machine, and it checks out on their end, they won't sell you a replacement head.  Why not?  Apparently you get a pretty sweet deal on your head when you buy a new Epson.  Other manufacturers who use X900 heads in their machines have to pay Epson a whole lot more for them.  So....  think about it for a sec and it'll all make sense.  It's not their technology they want to protect, that's what patents are for.  It's the Epson user discount they're trying to protect.  I've taken these heads apart, pretty impressive stuff inside.  $1,350 is a bargain in my eyes.

mhakansson - until your lines are clear of air pockets, your missing nozzle problems are most likely further up stream than your head.  Do you remember if there were air pockets in your lines before you replaced your head?  Gotta find the source of all that air.

mhakansson

« Reply #1395 on: April 29, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
ReplyReply

mhakansson - until your lines are clear of air pockets, your missing nozzle problems are most likely further up stream than your head.  Do you remember if there were air pockets in your lines before you replaced your head?  Gotta find the source of all that air.

No there were no air pockets before, as in the picture in service manual page 98 I wrapped some paper on the tube ends when I replaced the Damper(Selector). When I removed the paper to reassembly the tubes on the Damper unit It had sucked out quite a lot of ink to it so some lines where empty of ink 2-3" from the end.
When I did the powerclean and later initial fill the lines didnīt fill up at all, there were still empty lines.
What can be wrong?

highway0691

« Reply #1396 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm in the process of replacing the head on my 7900 and this has only been possible via Eric's generous sharing of his knowledge. When I say I'm in the process I mean waiting... waiting... waiting for the head to arrive from some magical place where Epson store their mythical heads which takes 35+ days to get to me and that's good apparently as I personally know an Epson dealer who has also helped me.

Now 35 days of non-operation is an expensive wait. 35 days of not having prints ready to sell (that's how my business runs mostly) I find this very arrogant on Epsons part making loyal customers wait, I've been using Epson printers, ink and media for 10+ yrs. Should I need a new car part, a new blade for my framing guillotine, service to my Canon Cameras or a new computer part I wouldn't have any issue waiting a week or 10 days but 5 weeks?

Had I known this from day one of the breakdown I would've just bought the Canon 24 inch printer. I have done my homework on Canon and with the same problem I could have the same print head replacement problem sorted for less than half the price and changing print heads by users is not only plain common maintenance, it's about the same complexity as changing an ink cartridge. Also print heads are on shelves of dealers and most users keep a spare anyway.

So regrettably I've committed to the print head purchase as I paid (and found out about the 35+ day wait later) but as soonas I have a good enough excuse to jump Canon's way I will do with no hesitation. The final straw for me was personally viewing some prints from a Canon 24 inch printer - they're awesome!!
membrane

« Reply #1397 on: May 09, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Alan

THE PHOTOFLO  MIX
Remember your recommendations for the above

6 parts water
2 parts isopropyl
2 parts glycerol
1/2 part photoflo

What do you think of the photoflo concentration in my attempt as follows   ...ps.   .i am in no way going to hold you responsible for any destruction that i can manage...i am already set to install a new head ( its 250 dollars for the 7800 if i blow the current one to bits )

8 parts Epson Cleaning Solution for aqueous inks.....footnote #1
2 parts isopropyl  footnote #2
1/2 part photoflo
Warm rather than cold solution......

Footnotes
# 1.  Composition of Epson clean solution for aqueous inks is :
Dietheylene glycol.               < 45%
Proprietary organic materials 0- 5%
Glycerols.           About.            15 %
Water.                                      Balance

# 2. I read somewhere this week that bacterias love to eat glycols...you may be able to confirm that......anyway i thought i would then go back to your original recommendation to include isopropyl in the mix as i believe it likes to eat bacterias !    

Thanks for any advice you might offer and your help up to now as well

Matt

Where can you buy a new print head for a 7800 for $250?  I'm tired of fighting my 7800, I think it might be time to just change the head.

Thanks
worldburger

« Reply #1398 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Wow, what a great thread.  Wish I had this a few years ago when I had to have the local repair guy come out to replace my original 7900 printhead.

I got through page 5.  Where are the capping stations?  They are invisible to my 4000 and 7600 trained eye.

I'm trying to find the capping station to put solution in it in an attempt to fix my clogged Green (blank thru many lines in a nozzle check printout)

Green looks like this:
--------------
--          ---

---
--------------

Also, anyone have a link to the service manual or can PM me a copy?

Cheers and thanks,
David
Blue moon

« Reply #1399 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Where can you buy a new print head for a 7800 for $250?  I'm tired of fighting my 7800, I think it might be time to just change the head.

Thanks
Sorry not to get back to you earlier...
Unicomp.co.uk
If you live in the States....they will not post to you...
Ps its euros not dollars !
Thanks
Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad