Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Yorkshire Dales  (Read 2512 times)
shaunw

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »
ReplyReply

It's an interesting landscape to me primarily because it's one with which I'm not very familiar.  When I scroll the image up on my screen and put the top just above the cloud on the left (now the aspect ratio is about 1:1), I like the result because the focus or emphasis is even more strongly on the landscape, as if I'm looking at that portion of the photograph more intently.  The most the blank sky can do is to provide perspective or context, and that's not needed for this photograph.  If it's not needed, I'd suggest eliminating it.

yes that is something iam considering with this one cropping the sky a little

cheers shaun

Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com
rambler44

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Shaun,  Apologies for misspelling your name earlier and I was just feeling a bit sorry for myself, but luckily my injury is far less severe than an ACL tear.  Doctor says it is a torn muscle that will soon heal with ice, rest and ibuprofen.

I happen to open the book Perfect Exposure by Michael Freeman and saw an image of a valley in Yorkshire.  It has no sky, but a river bend.  His purpose was to give an example of a full range of the color green, "revealing a (wide) range of hues and tones".  He found that people like an "over saturation of 'grassy' green."   p.120

I do like your image a lot, but I do miss seeing the color.  It might show a variety of winter brown going well with the blue sky.  The Yorkshire valley looks like a wonderful place to photograph with probably as many stone walls as we find here in New England, USA.
Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad