Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: best landscape photographer  (Read 20814 times)
MarkM

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
ReplyReply

When I want to drop my jaw, I browse Burtynsky's site.

Me too. Burtynsky's work is creative, incredibly well-crafted, and has a strong, important message. It's in a different universe than Fatali's in my opinion. I too lost any respect I had for Fatali with the Delicate Arch debacle. And it wasn't the stupidity of the actual act that really got under my skin—we all succumb to poor decisions. It is his sanctimonious insistence on the purity of his art, that he uses no filters, no alterations, waits days for light, etc. while here he is manufacturing the scene in a destructive and very unnatural way. I can only think of him as a fraud peddling trite, garish images marketed to people who fall for his piosity.

p.s. I just revisited his website for the first time in years. What the hell is an 'Illumachrome images "Fugi [sic] Crystal Archive" ' print?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:31:40 PM by MarkM » Logged

Johnphoto

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
ReplyReply

I agree that Burtynsky is fantastic, but think there is way to much focus on American photographers here. I prefer photographers like Hans Strand www.hansstrand.com and Vincent Munier www.vincentmunier.com . Their images are showing much more variety and more subtle color management. I am just tired of seeing the same red rocks with cartoon colors over and over again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:38:12 PM by Johnphoto » Logged
dreed

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 07:40:55 AM »
ReplyReply

My favourite landscape photographer is Ken Duncan - http://www.kenduncan.com/index.php/gallery.
I've had the pleasure of visiting one of his galleries and the 72" prints just leave you gob smacked as the details in twigs on a tree are still sharp even when your face is 6" from the photo. They appear more like paintings than photos.

What goes into his work?
http://www.kenduncan.com/images/stories/Masterpiece_combined-2_.pdf

$500,000 for a printer. Well then, that explains the quality of the prints Smiley
Lonnie Utah

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
ReplyReply

My favourite landscape photographer is Ken Duncan - http://www.kenduncan.com/index.php/gallery.
I've had the pleasure of visiting one of his galleries and the 72" prints just leave you gob smacked as the details in twigs on a tree are still sharp even when your face is 6" from the photo. They appear more like paintings than photos.

I'll agree.  I had the pleasure of visiting his gallery and speaking with him when I was in Sydney last year. 
Isaac

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »
ReplyReply

$500,000 for a printer. Well then, that explains the quality of the prints Smiley

I dare say that print studio would also scan, print and frame your photos for their usual fee :-)
rcloud

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »
ReplyReply

The man is obviously talented. I am surprised at the passion in this thread. The fires were obviously not malicious and remember, there is no wrong...there is no right.

ckimmerle

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »
ReplyReply

....and remember, there is no wrong...there is no right.

No wrong and no right. That's absurd, which is rude of me to say, therefore wrong.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

Chuck Kimmerle
WWW.CHUCKKIMMERLE.COM
Chris_Brown

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 12:07:38 AM »
ReplyReply

and remember, there is no wrong...there is no right.

Been hitting that crack pipe again?

~ CB
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »
ReplyReply

No wrong and no right. That's absurd, which is rude of me to say, therefore wrong.
You're absolutely right, Chuck!   Wink

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Mjollnir

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
ReplyReply

The man is obviously talented. I am surprised at the passion in this thread. The fires were obviously not malicious and remember, there is no wrong...there is no right.

orgumby freuifnsished laxiutry

Bees are immune to Dynamite!!!!

DIMENSION!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:50:47 AM by Mjollnir » Logged
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Hehe!... That reminds me of one of John Kroener's better moments, when he said:

"I am never mistaken; once I thought I was mistaken, but I was wrong."

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Johnphoto

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, but I can not find anything subtle in Ken Duncanīs photography. To me it looks like images from a tourist brochure. Very average in my opinion.
stpf8

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Tourist brochures are above average.  Wink

Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com
zenfoto

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Gentlemen,

I'm new to this forum but feel compelled to provide a little personal perspective on this thread.  I knew and eventually worked for Fatali over a 5 year period (~94-99) leading up to Delicate Arch incident.  Back then he did not print his Cibachrome work - it was printed by Richard Jackson of Hance Partners.  Many of the images on his website (even today) were scans I made of 8x10 work prints.  The Delicate Arch incident was the end of our relationship though it was really just an end point amplified by many other regrettable characteristics Fatali posessed.  I still own many of his Cibachrome originals, a few of which I believe are some of the best compositions to have come out of the Southwest.  Most of those are from his earlier work.

It should be noted that the Delicate Arch incident occurred while Fatali was teaching a workshop for the prestigious Arizona Highways outfit.  Not only were Duraflame logs lit, but someone also culled together wood and started a fire in the sandy bowl below Delicate Arch.  Those extremely misguided steps notwithstanding, my real issue was Fatali's arrogance when I confronted him.  The question I put simply, "you were teaching people this behavior is ok....  why?"  He had no answer and then proceeded to place a letter on his website justifying his actions.  That did it for me.

With what I know, I honestly question if Fatali actually prints his own work.  The town of Springdale, which he recently vacated, generally despised him and artists routinely related the story that he was printing Ilfochrome digitally through a Service Bureau.  And now, suddenly, his website is touting "Illumachrome", a ridiculous pet marketing name for LightJets, something I explored in depth and rejected (for my own aesthetic reasons) over a decade ago.

I'd really like to believe Fatali turned around and is genuinely actually doing what he markets.  But the veracity of his claims routinely leaves me with a questionable chill.

Finally, a couple replies to some of the posts:

Tim Wilcott:  "There is no way a ciba is going to look as good as a properly printed inkjet print.  I'll challenge that one, any day any amount of money."

Tim, stop comparing two fundamentally different processes.  I'm intimately familiar with both and Ciba can blow away inkjets and inkjets can blow away Cibas.  It just depends on the character of the film/pixels, who's doing the printing and their overall command of the medium.  Tools of photography don't have to be a religion where one dominates another.

Chuck Kimmerle:  Jay Dusard complimented your work in an email a couple years back and it was a great pleasure to discover.

Slobodan Blagojevic:  You defend Fatali with a religious fervor - you must've spent a lot of money.  I know, I've been there. Yes, Fatali should be forgiven for his transgressions those many years ago but I will never support his efforts again.  I'm just not convinced his ego learned its lesson.

Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2012, 02:05:19 AM »
ReplyReply

... Slobodan Blagojevic:  You defend Fatali with a religious fervor - you must've spent a lot of money...

Actually, not even a dime.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
OldRoy

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »
ReplyReply

What goes into his work?
http://www.kenduncan.com/images/stories/Masterpiece_combined-2_.pdf

Are we sure "Ken Duncan" isn't a Ken Rockwell alter ego? There seems to be a common aesthetic...
Roy
Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, but I can not find anything subtle in Ken Duncanīs photography. To me it looks like images from a tourist brochure. Very average in my opinion.

+1

Isaac

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
ReplyReply

+1

I can not find anything subtle about one photographer talking down the work of another apparently successful photographer.
sierraman

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
ReplyReply

Guy Schmickle's images are very nice! (http://www.explorethelightphotography.com/)
Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Two of my favorite landscape photographers have always been Marc Adamus (Oregon, USA) and Ian Cameron (Scotland, UK), one digital and the other 6x7 film.

http://www.marcadamus.com/

http://www.transientlight.co.uk/

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad