Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Artist Statement  (Read 26414 times)
KLaban

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
ReplyReply

revenue promotion

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
ReplyReply

It ain't nece - ain't nece, Ain't nece - ain't nece, Ain't necessarily ... so !

As "a self-evaluation of your work as it stands in the here and now" an artist statement can be a private assessment by someone who photographs for pleasure not profit.

And there I was, thinking an AS is a statement of intent and not a judgement on what has gone before! Live and learn.

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
ReplyReply

And there I was, thinking an AS is a statement of intent and not a judgement on what has gone before!
I imagine that people understand quite different things by the phrase artist statement - and some of them (not thinking of anyone in particular) will be happy to spend their time bickering until they can declare their understanding to be the one true definition. I can't be arsed ;-)

The following seems clear enough to be useful --

"When you present your work it is most likely you will be asked to accompany it with some sort of contextualizing statement. ... Sometimes this statement is referred to as a Statement of Intention. That is extremely problematic terminology as it implies that it is necessary to make the case that what you have done is exactly what you intended to do. Seldom does this occur, and when and if it does it can be more a liability than a success. ... a Statement of Intention is forward looking while an Artist Statement is a self-evaluation of your work as it stands in the here and now."

page 51 STUDYING PHOTOGRAPHY: A Survival Guide

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:30:46 PM by Isaac » Logged
Isaac

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »
ReplyReply

I want to be able to differentiate my various work.
You could treat them as completely separate activities and create separate sets of marketing material, targeting different audiences.
Sharon Van Lieu

Nantucket Landscape and Architectural Photographer

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
ReplyReply

My thoughts on statements are that they should further understanding of a particular body of work. Muge's photos of the Three Gorges in China - a project called Go Home - are greatly enhanced by reading about his thoughts on the project. Here's the NY Times article. Muge's own website is often hacked. http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/showcase-107/

As I said before, we don't write a statement about our general landscape photography. We would rather not supplant the viewers own thoughts and feelings about a photo. We are prepared to talk about it to people who are interested and I think that can be the main advantage of writing a statement, even if you never publish it. However, we have attempted to write statements about individual projects when we had an idea or concept in mind when shooting. We have the same difficulty editing statements that we do editing projects - what to leave out and still get the point across. One project in particular has too many photos and too many words in the statement. It is very hard to not get overly attached to your own work.

Sharon

Sharon Van Lieu

Nantucket Landscape and Architectural Photographer

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »
ReplyReply

To be clear - I'm not comparing our work to Muge's. Just that his work is one that was enhanced, in my opinion, by what he said.

Most of our projects are series and not truly projects. :-)

Sharon

mediumcool

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2012, 05:02:35 PM »
ReplyReply

It ain't nece - ain't nece, Ain't nece - ain't nece, Ain't necessarily ... so !

As "a self-evaluation of your work as it stands in the here and now" an artist statement can be a private assessment by someone who photographs for pleasure not profit.

uh-huh

FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
mediumcool

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
ReplyReply

revenue promotion

Pray tell, KLaban, what is the purpose of promotion?

And perhaps you may wish toponder meaning of the adjective ultimate; adjectives modify the meaning of nouns, as you well know.

KLaban

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2012, 02:14:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Pray tell, KLaban, what is the purpose of promotion?

And perhaps you may wish toponder meaning of the adjective ultimate; adjectives modify the meaning of nouns, as you well know.

uh-huh

mediumcool

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46:08 AM »
ReplyReply

uh-huh

Original, not.

Please try harder.

Isaac

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Original, not.

Please try harder.
Yes, that may indeed have been what KLaban wished to express about your disdain.
Rob C

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Heysoos, what is it with people on the Internet?

Rob C

KLaban

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Heysoos, what is it with people on the Internet?

Fuckwits, the lot of 'em.

Grin

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Fuckwits, the lot of 'em.

Grin
Now there's a concise Artist Statement!

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Colorado David

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm really sorry I started this thread. Cry

Isaac

« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm really sorry I started this thread.
Take from it whatever you can, and let the dross float past.
Schewe

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »
ReplyReply

You shouldn't be...

The fact of the matter is that a post to a forum like this is like throwing seeds to the wind. You can't control the direction nor reach of the wind, you can only control your reaction to the following posts.

I do think that developing a relatively thick skin is de rigueur for fine art photography. If you are so sensitive that you run and hide at the least bit of controversy or conflict, I don't think you are going to enjoy doing what you think you want to do. Man up and grow one...(yes, I'm being intentionally crass).

But in the course of this thread you've some gotten useful and some not very useful feedback. What EXACTLY did you expect to happen (if what you expected didn't happen, I would question your expectations more than the rough and ready nature of the forums).

It's all grist for the mill...
KLaban

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2012, 03:31:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Don't be, it's been a blast.

Colorado David

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2012, 05:47:12 AM »
ReplyReply

You shouldn't be...

My post was humor after the couple of posts just preceding it.  That's what the little emoticon was supposed to convey.

Justan

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:32 AM »
ReplyReply

I read someplace that the idea for an Artist Statement started in the early 1950s. While I havenít done any research on the varsity of this, if true, the original idea behind the Artist Statement was probably tied to McCarthyism. For those who donít know, McCarthyism was named after the late and evil spirited US Senator Joseph McCarthy, who accused a vast number of people, particularly including artists, of being communists or communist sympathizers. Notable in his attacks was a complete lack of evidence to support the many accusations he made. At the following link is a short blurb on the topic of McCarthyism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

If true, this suggests that the Artists Statement was born as a way to proclaim that the artist was not, essentially, an enemy of the State.

From then, the AS has grown to become somewhat of a puff piece about the artist, typically serving the interest of marketing related goals.

No matter the real or perceived purpose, the real oddity is that some have come to have high expectations (and high anxiety) about their AS. In the end (imho) it is little other than an industry accepted marketing ploy.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad