Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Request for Landscape Focusing Advice  (Read 11771 times)
Ellis Vener

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
ReplyReply

"The man is still trying to find his feet.
Once he is taking some good shots and has learn't the strengths and weaknesses of his equipment then it would be worth his while to start experimenting with focus stacking.
It is not a magic bullet solution so not an automatic choice to solve all depth of field issues."

I totally agree. The emphasis some people, especially here in the Lu-la forums, put on exotic techniques and tools  is far out of balance with their actual viability in simply making good photos to start with. Focus stacking is really one of those last resort solutions. I'm glad I know how to do it, and have the tools to do it but only turn to when all else fails.

Ellis Vener
http://www.ellisvener.com
Creating photographs for advertising, corporate and industrial clients since 1984.
DougJ

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Marc,

What deconvolution software are you using.

Ciao,

Doug
marcmccalmont

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 03:21:54 AM »
ReplyReply

Focus Fixer it is old and doesn't work with 64 bit programs but I like the results
I'm still searching for a better replacement
Marc

Marc McCalmont
Rob C

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:48 AM »
ReplyReply

I totally agree. The emphasis some people, especially here in the Lu-la forums, put on exotic techniques and tools  is far out of balance with their actual viability in simply making good photos to start with. Focus stacking is really one of those last resort solutions. I'm glad I know how to do it, and have the tools to do it but only turn to when all else fails.

I think you can probably extend that idea sideways: in my own view, simple is usually best, and tricks for trick's sake is a PITA that some might find pleasant but that I'd rather avoid if I can. That's sometimes just part of the digi game: this can be done, so it has to be done or something is wrong with the shooter. I am happy to continue along in my innocence, taking what pleasures I can from pictures and trying not to exchange that for challenges. What's with these people who claim to like challenges? Hell's teeth, I want life to go as smoothly as it possibly can! Leave battles to warriors; protect your heart and nerves!

Rob C

BartvanderWolf

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:05 AM »
ReplyReply

Focus Fixer it is old and doesn't work with 64 bit programs but I like the results

Hi Marc,

You can always try RawTherapee, even on e.g. a TIFF input instead of Raw. It supports a decent implementation of the Richardson-Lucy deconvolution method which does quite well with regular (unsharpened) images (and not only images from the Hubble Space Telescope where it was used by NASA to recover from an optical design flaw).

Topaz Labs have an InFocus plug-in, but it needs some more work to protect inexperienced users from generating too many artifacts.

I still use the 32-bit FocusMagic plugin, and it does a great job but future technical support seems unsure.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:27:04 AM by BartvanderWolf » Logged
MarkL

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
ReplyReply

From viewing exhibitions I have found that a lot of landscape photographers often leave far distances to go out of focus and personally it bothers me.

> how do you ensure the image is sharp throughout?

nobody mentions focus stacking??

I use helicon focus a lot of landscapes and wouldn't be without it, there is no need to shoot at f/22 on a dslr eating up sharpness (unless things are moving). I'm surprised so few people use it.
Isaac

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
ReplyReply

nobody mentions focus stacking??

I didn't use the jargon :-)

then blend the "sharp" areas from each photo into a final "sharp" image
marcmccalmont

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Marc,

You can always try RawTherapee, even on e.g. a TIFF input instead of Raw. It supports a decent implementation of the Richardson-Lucy deconvolution method which does quite well with regular (unsharpened) images (and not only images from the Hubble Space Telescope where it was used by NASA to recover from an optical design flaw).

Topaz Labs have an InFocus plug-in, but it needs some more work to protect inexperienced users from generating too many artifacts.

I still use the 32-bit FocusMagic plugin, and it does a great job but technical support seems unsure.

Cheers,
Bart
Bart
I've been meaning too download RT, sometime soon
Marc

Marc McCalmont
Hening Bettermann

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Right. Just, I think this description will not be easy to follow, and the "jargon" 'focus stacking' will quickly provide the OP with a lot of links that will put him on the track.
Good light! - Hening

Isaac

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »
ReplyReply

...the "jargon" 'focus stacking' will quickly provide the OP with a lot of links...
Yes, otoh that track is quite narrow. My guess is that you wouldn't call this "focus stacking" but if we ask why the final image will appear "sharp throughout" isn't it the same idea?

A 50mm 3 row stitch @f5.6-f8, one row foreground, one row main subject, one row background/sky.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:20:31 PM by Isaac » Logged
Hening Bettermann

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
ReplyReply

> isn't it the same idea?

Certainly.

> My guess is that you wouldn't call this "focus stacking"

I would. I would call it focus stacking + pano stitching, which is a step further. OTOH 3 focus slices may not be enough in many cases. But these are details. - I don't quite understand what you find 'narrow' about the term/track 'focus stacking'. My idea was that the *term* (rather than a description) when googled  would quickly lead the OP to the subject.

Good light!

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I have a small write up on my experience here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/29-handling-the-dof-trap

Best regards
Erik

From viewing exhibitions I have found that a lot of landscape photographers often leave far distances to go out of focus and personally it bothers me.

I use helicon focus a lot of landscapes and wouldn't be without it, there is no need to shoot at f/22 on a dslr eating up sharpness (unless things are moving). I'm surprised so few people use it.

Isaac

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
ReplyReply

My idea was that the *term* (rather than a description) when googled  would quickly lead the OP to the subject.
When googled that *term* mostly answers links about macro photography ;-)
Hening Bettermann

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Uff!

Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Hairsplitters of the world, unite! Wink

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Isaac

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
ReplyReply

Hairsplitters of the world, unite! Wink
Only if the hair being split is "Photography" and you mean to say all photography is the same :-)
elf

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 12:42:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Merklinger
DougJ

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »
ReplyReply

That's what I use as well, Marc.  I'm in the process of moving over to W7 and had to ask Acclaim for a new registration code for my V3.02 (IIRC) version of Focus Magic.

Ciao,

Doug

Marc
figure1a

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Shoot tethered! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninevolt/digiplate/posts/237894
HSakols

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »
ReplyReply

No one has mentioned finding good light!!  That's the hardest part regardless of your f stop.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad