Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Moonrise over Nyamiti (with apologies!)  (Read 916 times)
William Walker

« on: April 22, 2012, 03:59:04 AM »
ReplyReply

I took this a while after sunset - I hope you like it.

William

Tony Jay

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:22:07 AM »
ReplyReply

Intriguing image!

Regards

Tony Jay
Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello William, nice as this is, I would have liked to see you make more use of the fever trees in the composition. Must also mention that you have nerves of steel shooting the pan after sunset, with all the hippos and submarine sized crocs that live there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:37:52 AM by Riaan van Wyk » Logged
Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »
ReplyReply

I took this a while after sunset - I hope you like it.

William

So, is that the Moon I see in yonder sky? An official Moon requires a crescent and or a Man therein.

;-)

Rob C

Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
ReplyReply

This shot has an interesting B&W conversion (or, am I badly mistaken and it was shot on film?) If digital, would you mind sharing your post production conversion technique?

What! Me Worry?

Life is about a little kid driving a Mini...
popnfresh
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Moonrise shots are very difficult to pull off well because of the extreme dynamics involved. If you hadn't put "moonrise" in the title I would have assumed that it was a sunrise or sunset.
Rob C

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Moonrise shots are very difficult to pull off well because of the extreme dynamics involved. If you hadn't put "moonrise" in the title I would have assumed that it was a sunrise or sunset.

Aha! That's where I got confused: wasn't carrying the tile in my head as I was looking at the image.

I'm sure the shot could still be made convincing regarding its hour if some darkening of different areas was done; quite fun to do, I would think.

Rob C

William Walker

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Pop, you are exactly right! The only way (I can think of) to get the moon detail is to have done an HDR-type thing - which I am totally "anti" at the moment. Otherwise it would have become far too noisy for my liking if I tried to recover too much in the dark areas. That said, I am quite happy with what I ended up with.

Chris, it is not film - I used Lightroom4 and then Silver Effex Pro - I think it was "High Structure, High Detail", or something like that and then tweaked it a bit. Sorry, I'm not very methodical when I do this so cannot give you more detail!

Riaan, we were with an armed guide so it was not too bad. The crocs all slid into the water when we got near - not to say that I didn't cast a beady eye when I went close to the water! We did the walk a day later, plenty crocs and hippos basking in the early morning sunlight. I was amazed to learn that Ndumo has the second highest concentration of cros after Kruger! Sometimes you don't even notice the very small ones.

Rob - As usual, you are going to have to give me a bit more time to try and work out what you are saying so that my response is appropriate!:)

Thanks All
William

ivan muller

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Mmmmm, very nicely lit. Unusual. I like it!

William Walker

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Ivan!

Here is one of those submarine-sized flat-dogs Riaan was talking about.

William

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Ivan!

Here is one of those submarine-sized flat-dogs Riaan was talking about.

William

Chuck Berry said: "never let the same dog bite you twice." With those mothers, he might have saved his breath.

Rob C

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad