Please can someone point me in the right direction. I've struggled long enough on my own trying to work out color management through reading literature, and have run aground. Well, lets just say I haven't got any more hair left.
I'm an aspiring hobby photographer and despite investing in the equipment I can't say I've been successful or satisfied with the quality and consistency of my prints. There are just so many variables
Here is my setup:
XP pro laptop with 1GB of ram, all updates current
NEC Multisync LCD 1990SXi 19" monitor
The laptop monitor is normally turned off
ColorVision Spyder2 suite (came with ColorVision PrintFIX PLUS, which I've never used)
Canon Pixma iP5200 inkjet printer
Paper is either Canon glossy, satin, or matt papers. Recently I have tried Pinnacle cotton Natural White 310gsm, which I absolutely love
Epson Perfection 4490 scanner
I'm between cameras at the mo, working with either jpegs from my mobile phone or scanning in old family photos, which is my current project
If I can get my pictures to look remotely like what's on my monitor, whether jpeg, scan, or RAW I'll be happy (not actually true, I'd like 'em spot on!).
When I recently calibrated the monitor the results from Spyder2 were too reddish, and I preferred the monitor look with no calibration. That pretty much sums up my 'success' with my attempts at quality printing.
Here are the variables as I see them:
- I have my monitor set to 'Native', which I believe is sRGB
- The CS4 'Print' dialogue box offers me (top right in the dialogue box, as in fig.1) two options in a drop-down box, Color Management and Output ( I only ever had it set to Color Management). Under Color Management you find 'Photoshop Manages Color' and 'Printer Manages Color'. I always have that set to 'Photoshop Manages Color'. Please see fig.1
- It also warns me to 'remember to disable color management in the printer dialogue box'
- In the iP5200 Printing Preferences (Main tab) dialogue box I then set the options as in fig.2, the paper is selected, print quality High, Color/Intensity is set to 'Manual', which I assume is me 'remembering to disable color management in the printer'. If I click on Set.. it takes me through to the Manual Color Adjustment dialogue box, all variables are set to zero. That's the lower screenshot in fig.2
- Additionally, in the Properties dialogue window (Color Management tab) you find more variables. I'm assuming this set to Manual (fig.3) is also correct for 'remembering to disable color management in the printer'
- As if that's not enough, in the Printing Preferences dialogue box there's a Profiles tab (see fig.4). I wouldn't know where to start with this one.
I'm loving what I get on screen with the old family photos, color and B&W, but its hit and miss with the prints. All help massively appreciated!