Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Spring colored beech forest with a couple of dolmens  (Read 1026 times)
LarsHansen

« on: May 07, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
ReplyReply

The green beech forests are a joy in fresh green these days.. but what about the composition?  Undecided

Nikon D40, 18-55 kit zoom @48mm.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:17:53 PM by LarsHansen » Logged
Tony Jay

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Forests are great places to visit and photograph but it can sometimes be difficult to see the forest for the trees.
In this case I think it is the rock formations that get in the way somewhat.
I applaud your effort in trying to give a sense of place in your image by including features that are present in the forest.
However if your goal was to give the beech trees primacy then I am not sure that you have succeeded.

Kind Regards

Tony Jay
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
ReplyReply

... but what about the composition?
There'd be more spring colored green without the foreground dry leaves ;-)

Without your description, I'd probably have thought there was a pile of boulders in the foreground - but hopefully I would have thought the pile of boulders in the background looked kind of strange for a pile of boulders - maybe we need more distance from the dolmen to appreciate the form and wonder if it might be man-made.
LarsHansen

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Tony and Isaac - thanks for Your comments.

One should be careful with titles - unless you are in advertising...    

I agree that forests can be tricky to see in among all the trees. My intention was to include another element to balance things - and not too many trees. But .. yes - a bit heavy on boulders in the right side and a pile of boulders in the background to just add a bit of balance Grin

So primacy to the trees was not the intention - "a sense of place" it's probably well put, but still with a sense of the crisp light green.

I've uploaded a few other shots from same locaction - one with primacy to the trees and another with a (hopefully) more recognizable dolmen. The latter does not give the forest much attention though - so I'll refrain from using the title..

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:06:29 PM by LarsHansen » Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »
ReplyReply

"a sense of place"
In that case, is there a view point that keeps one of the dolmens in the background (like the first photo) and has the other at a middle distance rather than in the foreground?
LarsHansen

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »
ReplyReply

No Isaac - unfortunately not. A tree was in my way and several other boulders was blocking the view. I considered moving far backwards and using a longer focal length, but unless I cut down a few trees it wouldn't work. I have a few other shots from other view points I'll try to work on and might post here. Thanks again.
Isaac

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
ReplyReply

I have a few other shots from other view points...
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I did mean from completely different view points - way off to the left or right from where these photos were taken. Good luck.
Isaac

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
ReplyReply

... unless I cut down a few trees ...
Or you could try to make a composite image :-)
LarsHansen

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:37 AM »
ReplyReply

Or you could try to make a composite image :-)

A bit avant-garde for one who bought the first SLR in 1980 and just swithed to digital SLR a few years ago ..  Wink

Good point - it will challenge my PP skills, but it's probably easier than cutting down trees.
Isaac

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
ReplyReply

A bit avant-garde for one who bought the first SLR in 1980 and just switched to digital SLR a few years ago...
I know, I know, but it is, I think, a more attentive response to that switch than fussing over cosmetic clone&heal would be ;-)
LarsHansen

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I did mean from completely different view points

These ones are the only ones where the light wasn't too dull - the compositions are not that interesting. Maybe it would have worked better if I had set the tripod close to ground level and used a wider focal length... might try that next time.  

Thanks for your comments..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:24:23 PM by LarsHansen » Logged
sdwilsonsct

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
ReplyReply

#2 in the last triad is getting interesting.
A tricky subject well worth exploring further. Fall and the bronze leaves are coming... Smiley
Scott

LarsHansen

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »
ReplyReply

A tricky subject well worth exploring further. Fall and the bronze leaves are coming... Smiley
Scott

Thanks Scott ... yes, it's an interesting place to visit all year around and there are 5-6 dolmens within a small area so I have plenty to explore. Fall and bronze leaves?? .. the spring is peaking now so don't mention the fall  Grin
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad